Anyone taking the MCAT on 8/16/2012?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimingforthat45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone else taking the MCAT on august 16, 2012 at 1 pm? (Thursday). I know there are lots of people taking the 8/17/2012, but i was wondering if anyone was also taking the august 16th one as well.

-cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I am. This is my first time taking it and I only did two practice tests, 1 Kaplan and 1 AAMC, which i am not happy with the results. So in less than two weeks I don't even know how to improve but my goal is to continue to do practice tests.
Have you been doing practice tests?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm taking it too for the first time.

Definitely starting to freak out though

i'm taking it too for the first time.

Definitely starting to freak out though

Have you been doing practice test? If so, how are you doing with time?
I think I am lacking time management and no clue how to improve on that

@ BethA,

ive done a couple AAMC FLs, and for the most part, im doing good on time, with the exception of VR. I still feel rushed on the last passage. For the sciences, im just working on utilizing the passages more and making sure I am comfortable with all the questions they ask.

I am! And I feel like I'm going to hyperventilate every time I think about it. Everyone pray for reasonable passages/questions!

hey guys, i'm also taking it on 8/16 :eek:

how are you guys going to be approaching studying this last week and a half-ish?

hey guys, i'm also taking it on 8/16 :eek:

how are you guys going to be approaching studying this last week and a half-ish?

I will be doing AAMC every day starting tomorrow. I don't think we can add new stuff after now. But, I still need to look over somethings on Orgo.:D

I am!

I'm still having trouble with Verbal. On practice tests I can get 13 on the other sections fairly consistently, but VR is stuck around an 11, so I'm trying to practice that. I feel like there's more luck involved with VR than on the other sections.

I am!

I'm still having trouble with Verbal. On practice tests I can get 13 on the other sections fairly consistently, but VR is stuck around an 11, so I'm trying to practice that. I feel like there's more luck involved with VR than on the other sections.

Definetly, me too. It must be luck, I had one passage left one time and did not even read it I got 6/7 questions correct. :laugh:

Definetly, me too. It must be luck, I had one passage left one time and did not even read it I got 6/7 questions correct. :laugh:

I go over the ones I get wrong, and sometimes the explanations make perfect sense and I just missed a small detail. But sometimes it says something like "your answer was correct, but this other answer is more correct", and that bothers me because I'm expecting the correct answer choice to be correct and the other three to be patently false.

That's exactly why I stopped going over the VR answers. They make it sound like it should be approached so scientifically and with 7 passages in 60 minutes, there's no way.

And yes, its totally about luck. I do way better when I can actually understand the passage. I know some people who have taken actual exams where verbal passages were pretty easy to understand, so I'm hoping thats the case. But if I start VR and every single passage sounds like it was written in 1800, I'm voiding. Those are the worst in terms of understanding what they are saying.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the VR passages are all difficult, I'm sure you're not the only one having trouble with them. The score conversion might be more rewarding (or rather, slightly less punishing).

Have you been doing practice test? If so, how are you doing with time?
I think I am lacking time management and no clue how to improve on that

Hey BethA. So far my timing has been ok, except for in PS! I have gone through this AAMC self assessment this last week in order to get used to reading more passages and understanding them better, so hopefully that helps. From what I understand, it is just not possible for some people to do all 52 problems so I guess we need to focus on getting as many right as possible!

I will take AAMC 8, 10, 11 this week... So far I can't break over a 10 on Bio and it's beginning to frustrate me. I feel good about my knowledge, but I guess I have problems interpreting the questions/answers/passages

Going over the examkrackers rational for answering questions on VR proved incredibly beneficial for me. It was much more helpful than the princeton review/AAMC answers.

I'm glad someone made a thread for this date. I am sad to say, though, that I am a retaker from 5/3:( I scored about 4 points below my average. Specifically (the main reason I'm retaking, actually), I got a lower VR score than I got on any practice test.

As you've read on other threads, you can't predict how you did when you walk out. I thought I did worst on BS...it was my best section. I thought I did best on PS...I got about two points lower than my average. VR...I had no idea.

Basically, if a section feels really difficult, then everyone else probably feels the same, so try and relax. If the section feels pretty easy, THEN EVERYONE ELSE PROBABLY FEELS THE SAME, so be careful to not make careless mistakes.

Note: Watch your caffeine intake. This may have contributed to my inability to relax on VR, I started to get real jittery on this section.

I'm glad someone made a thread for this date. I am sad to say, though, that I am a retaker from 5/3:( I scored about 4 points below my average. Specifically (the main reason I'm retaking, actually), I got a lower VR score than I got on any practice test.

As you've read on other threads, you can't predict how you did when you walk out. I thought I did worst on BS...it was my best section. I thought I did best on PS...I got about two points lower than my average. VR...I had no idea.

Basically, if a section feels really difficult, then everyone else probably feels the same, so try and relax. If the section feels pretty easy, THEN EVERYONE ELSE PROBABLY FEELS THE SAME, so be careful to not make careless mistakes.

Note: Watch your caffeine intake. This may have contributed to my inability to relax on VR, I started to get real jittery on this section.

Sorry to hear that you have to retake. I was wondering what you did differently this time to hopefully score better? I am taking practice tests from AAMC but I am scoring very low and even lower than the Kaplan once that people say is harder.

Kaplan tests are harder, BUT they are far more generous with the score conversions. The impression I get from talking to people is that the AAMC tests are certainly more indicative of the actual MCAT than the Kaplan ones are.

The real thing was harder than the AAMC practice tests, not as difficult as Kaplan. Kaplan gives a nicer curve, though (i.e. so you can guess an entire passage and still get an OK Kaplan score. AAMC tests are much more straightforward, but you need to be able to get to EVERY passage, so time-management is important).

Nigy is correct in saying that the AAMC tests give a much better idea of what to expect on the real thing, beyond just score conversion:

PS: Kaplan requires much more LONG calculations than the real thing. Also, I memorized SO MANY equations going into the test, and only used about 5. The real thing is much more conceptual. Much more important to go into this section with your "thinking cap" on, as opposed to getting ready to "dump out" things you memorized.

VR: AAMC is way better! Kaplan has too many detail questions, requiring you to go back to the passage. I think they do this to make their "passage mapping" technique seem more important. The real thing has many more "main point" questions. Trying to keep the main idea of the passage in mind is key.

BS: This is the one section where Kaplan gives better practice. The real thing is much harder than AAMC tests.

Overall: AAMC is better for question style and time management. Kaplan is better for crisis management.

Sorry to hear that you have to retake. I was wondering what you did differently this time to hopefully score better? I am taking practice tests from AAMC but I am scoring very low and even lower than the Kaplan once that people say is harder.
I had already done all AAMC tests and Kaplan 1-5 before my 5/31 test. So, all I have left is Kaplan 6-11. So I've been doing those (all I have left is #11) and their section tests. My main focus on this re-take is to stay RELAXED (but still alert, of course).

Also taking it on the 16th!

Planning on doing AAMC 8, 9, 11 This week. and finishing up EKC Verbal Tests.

Does anyone have a good game plan for this last week-I feel like a chicken with its head cut off as far as last minute reviewing goes.

Good luck to everyone taking it on the 16th, hopefully our test isn't ridiculous. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Also taking it on the 16th!

Planning on doing AAMC 8, 9, 11 This week. and finishing up EKC Verbal Tests.

Does anyone have a good game plan for this last week-I feel like a chicken with its head cut off as far as last minute reviewing goes.

Good luck to everyone taking it on the 16th, hopefully our test isn't ridiculous. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Same! I'm praying our test isn't ridiculous. I just read through the 7/6 thread and saw that mostly everyone got surprisingly bad verbal scores...and the worst part is that they all thought it was easy! I'm really hoping this doesn't happen to us on any section!! :xf:

As for a game plan, I'm just going to try my best to review topics/concepts that I'm weak in and continue on with the AAMCs. I have 7, 8, 9 and 11 left to do and EK101. I'm trying to take it easy though...I'm starting to feel a little under the weather :scared: i hope i don't get sick!!

Same! I'm praying our test isn't ridiculous. I just read through the 7/6 thread and saw that mostly everyone got surprisingly bad verbal scores...and the worst part is that they all thought it was easy! I'm really hoping this doesn't happen to us on any section!! :xf:

As for a game plan, I'm just going to try my best to review topics/concepts that I'm weak in and continue on with the AAMCs. I have 7, 8, 9 and 11 left to do and EK101. I'm trying to take it easy though...I'm starting to feel a little under the weather :scared: i hope i don't get sick!!

Well, I am feeling worst. Has any one every heard scoring 24 on practices tests never higher and score same or better on the real deal?
This is my second time pushing the exam date and never again will I push it because I have two kids, a job and paying baby sitter a lot for taking this test. I still have more practice tests I have to take but very fearfull of taking them so I don't see lower scores. So what advice do you have for me? Should I just take the AAMC not timed? To kind of lessen my stree and still be able to look at the questions or just do it times forget about the scores?
I have to take the test but I want to be able to walk in the exam knowing I can do my best with what I have and not make it worst by my fears. Help, (I don't have a goal of 30+ at this point, I uses to, even 25+ will get me to the school I am looking for) considering GPA 3.8 and a lot of EC, also ICU NURSE for 7years.
This MCAT is getting on my nerve:eek:

Well, I am feeling worst. Has any one every heard scoring 24 on practices tests never higher and score same or better on the real deal?
This is my second time pushing the exam date and never again will I push it because I have two kids, a job and paying baby sitter a lot for taking this test. I still have more practice tests I have to take but very fearfull of taking them so I don't see lower scores. So what advice do you have for me? Should I just take the AAMC not timed? To kind of lessen my stree and still be able to look at the questions or just do it times forget about the scores?
I have to take the test but I want to be able to walk in the exam knowing I can do my best with what I have and not make it worst by my fears. Help, (I don't have a goal of 30+ at this point, I uses to, even 25+ will get me to the school I am looking for) considering GPA 3.8 and a lot of EC, also ICU NURSE for 7years.

from what i've read around here, taking AAMC exams as section tests is a big no-no. This is because AAMC exams are supposed to be the best indicator of your score on the real thing, and has the types of questions you'll see on the real thing, since they are the ones who make the test. If you have any TPR/Kaplan/TBR/other test prep company exams that you havent done, i think you can try taking them as section tests. But, I think it's better to take them as full-lengths if you can, so you build up your endurance.

from what i've read around here, taking AAMC exams as section tests is a big no-no. This is because AAMC exams are supposed to be the best indicator of your score on the real thing, and has the types of questions you'll see on the real thing, since they are the ones who make the test. If you have any TPR/Kaplan/TBR/other test prep company exams that you havent done, i think you can try taking them as section tests. But, I think it's better to take them as full-lengths if you can, so you build up your endurance.

Clear!
Ok, I will do that no matter how much the scores scary me out! :)

Holy crap, I just read that thread, too...wish I hadn't. That sounds like a nightmare: feeling like you got a 10 on VR and getting a 5. This is already the scariest section on the test!

Holy crap, I just read that thread, too...wish I hadn't. That sounds like a nightmare: feeling like you got a 10 on VR and getting a 5. This is already the scariest section on the test!

definitely a terrible nightmare...that 7/6 thread has got to be the scariest thread i've read on SDN thus far!

I wonder how the curve of the AAMCs relate to the actual MCAT?

It's just so odd because a raw score of 115 can be a 34 on one practice test while a raw score of 125 can be a 33 on another.

I just got really frustrated when I finished AAMC 10 and saw that 48/52 on the PS was a 12.... COME ON AAMC. It just seems a little harsh. Maybe with experimental questions the curve won't be as harsh on the real thing...

Hey guys, first time postin up.

I too am taking it 8/16 all because my physics 2 final was 8/16/11 and I rocked that ****. Superstitious, ha. First time here..taking it early going into junior year.

I have taken AAMC 4-10. Plan to take 11 and maybe 3 before the big day. I have taken Kaplan 1-3 as well. Only got a 30 once, but really could have had it multiple times. Im having trouble fully understanding some of the questions when the information is like the damn back of my hand! Frustrating!

I, like most, am WAY better and the verbal when I can understand what the hell its talking about! Just praying for humanities passages that I relate to somehow! Please no art/poetry/books from 1800's!

Well I was lucky enough to be one of the people who took it on 7/6. It was terrible. I left the test center wondering if the last verbal passage was even written in english. Only studied a solid month before the test (EC books, AAMC/Kaplan tests) and felt okay going in averaging 28 or so (really just shooting for a 30).

I started studying the week after because I knew my score sucked, which it did, and now I'm 4 days away from taking it again and am starting to wonder if I should reschedule or not. I've been studying 4-8 hours a day, 6 days a week, for the last 5 weeks or so, but I'm just not sure what to do. This is going to be my last shot this cycle, and I was really hoping to not have to take a year off after graduating in May.

Goddamn, starting to feel so dejected about my previous score (5/31), with days to spare before this retake. I'm sure most of you have been too busy studying to see any new movies, but... which would be a better movie to cheer me up on Wednesday (a.k.a. the "don't-freak-out day"): The Campaign or Ted?
And Good luck to everyone!!!

Wow, you have a lot on your plate! Much more than anyone I know who is also taking the MCAT. I really hope you do well. And just for encouragement, literally just forget about your past practice test scores. I know its hard to do but it should help. I know a guy who averaged 30 on his tests and ended up with a 35 on the actual test. Its definitely possible. good luck!

Goddamn, starting to feel so dejected about my previous score (5/31), with days to spare before this retake. I'm sure most of you have been too busy studying to see any new movies, but... which would be a better movie to cheer me up on Wednesday (a.k.a. the "don't-freak-out day"): The Campaign or Ted?
And Good luck to everyone!!!

i haven't seen either one, but based on the trailers both seem funny. Ted has higher ratings on imdb though, so maybe you should go with that one?

and don't think about your previous score! just concentrate on one day at a time! good luck! :luck:

Hey guys, final stretch is really here.

What are you planning to do on Wednesday? (day before)

First time taking it here...average like a 27 right now but hoping for a 30. I know I can do it, since I have done it once and have learned a lot of my mistakes, but who knows.

Im praying to not have to do this again!!!

Hey guys, final stretch is really here.

What are you planning to do on Wednesday? (day before)

First time taking it here...average like a 27 right now but hoping for a 30. I know I can do it, since I have done it once and have learned a lot of my mistakes, but who knows.

Im praying to not have to do this again!!!

I'm pretty sure I won't be relaxing, like everyone says you should lol. I'm just so nervous! I'll probably go over review notes or flashcards. Can't wait till this this over!!! Also praying not to have to do this again!

Wow, you have a lot on your plate! Much more than anyone I know who is also taking the MCAT. I really hope you do well. And just for encouragement, literally just forget about your past practice test scores. I know its hard to do but it should help. I know a guy who averaged 30 on his tests and ended up with a 35 on the actual test. Its definitely possible. good luck!

Thank you so much for the encouragement. And that is exactly what I am planning to do is, ignore the practice test scores. I wanted to do AAMC 11, but I still did not want to get in the exam room discouraged so I may not take it.

Right now I am only reviewing my weak points and areas that I have forgotten.

This. Really. Sucks.

MCAT should die.

I think it is totally expected to feel frustrated and scared at this time. The only thing that is helping me is to say to my self, I have prepared as much as I can, I will do what I can. The rest is up to God. So stay stronge and positive. Two days from now we will all be done with this and enjoy the rest of the summer. Good luck to all!

I think it is totally expected to feel frustrated and scared at this time. The only thing that is helping me is to say to my self, I have prepared as much as I can, I will do what I can. The rest is up to God. So stay stronge and positive. Two days from now we will all be done with this and enjoy the rest of the summer. Good luck to all!

+1 :thumbup:

Logically I should be studying like a madman for the last couple days before the test, but I'm feeling very resigned to my score. Which isn't to say it's a bad score: I've been getting almost exclusively 38s on AAMC tests; my verbal finally goes up by 2, but PS drops by 2, or some other permutation keeps me at 38. I'm just super nervous that the real exam will be a bit harder than I'm used to, and I'll be stressed, and my score will plummet.

I'm taking AAMC #11 today, for lack of anything better to do.

Logically I should be studying like a madman for the last couple days before the test, but I'm feeling very resigned to my score. Which isn't to say it's a bad score: I've been getting almost exclusively 38s on AAMC tests; my verbal finally goes up by 2, but PS drops by 2, or some other permutation keeps me at 38. I'm just super nervous that the real exam will be a bit harder than I'm used to, and I'll be stressed, and my score will plummet.

nice score! I've been scoring 33-35 hoping for a 35 on the real deal..

I'm done studying like a crazy person too. I've been taking it easy this week, just taking practice tests and going over the answers. I feel like at this point, we know what we know. I plan on taking AAMC 11 today. Hoping for a good ego boost for thursday! :xf:

Remember, when in doubt: It's because of more H-bonds, the O2-dissociation curve shifts right, and the spontaneity of the reaction can not be determined without more information.

1 PM. I think the only time on Thursday is 1 pm (versus more popular dates that have both morning and afternoon tests).