anyone teaching next year

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dirtybob, Aug 1, 2002.

1. dirtybob

dirtybob Member

For my time off, i've decided to teach high school biology, i was wondering if any of you guys are teaching next year or have taught before going to med school

BOB

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vixen

vixen I like members

hey i'll be teaching middle school science this coming year....are you getting excited about teaching?

4. dirtybob

dirtybob Member

i'm really excited actually to teach biology. I've taught a science class at an after school program for two years, so now i've decided to teach biology in high school. i still have to get hired, but i'm staying positive since the demand for teachers is high apparently. Did you find it tough to get your teaching position vixen? oh yeah, do you have your teaching credentials too?

bob

5. agent

agent agent, RN

my wife wants me to get into teaching instead of being a doctor.

6. vixen

vixen I like members

in nyc you can teach w/your bachelors, after they review your transcripts and decide what subject area etc you can teach....it was hard to find a position because i'm not FROM nyc, so I didn't know the schools, so I sent my resume and called a BUNCH of schools....the first school that interviewed me (which was a long table with all the staff sitting around it and me at the head, and all of them asking me different questions :eek: ) I liked the atmosphere, the staff, the area etc. My trancripts got reviewed so I could teach chemistry or general science. I'm uncertified, but within the first year of teaching, if I take the LAST and ATS-W exams, a few workshops and some classes, I could be a nys certified teacher....not bad eh? i'm excited to teach, the only thing i'm worried about it my DAT for dental school is the last week in august, and i have a week of teaching orienation right before....and I can't get out of it....its gonna SUCK, but I just have to stay focused. :)

7. poloace

poloace Senior Member

vixen-
    are you going to be teaching full time? i'm actually doing a master's degree right now in NYC- but, wow... i think teaching would be rad. i'd love to teach in the neighborhood where i go to school. how do i look into this?
    peter

8. vixen

vixen I like members

yeah i'll be a full time science teacher: click on this for more info: teachny

the only thing that is REALLY tough about this is that there's a LOT of red tape.....no one is going to spoon feed you and you really have to do a lot of the leg work :rolleyes:

9. poloace

poloace Senior Member

vixen-
    who is that a picture of under your name? and is your name seema? i know a seema from nyc- she's rad. but, she's leaving me to go to michigan med (if she gets off of the waitlist).
    peter

10. vixen

vixen I like members

dammit, i dont like it when there are others out there w/my name! :rolleyes: :mad:

11. poloace

poloace Senior Member

its a hot name- who is that under your picture? is that you?? that picture actually kind of looks like the seema I know!!

hey- how many hours would you dedicate to this teaching deal?
    peter

12. vixen

vixen I like members

no not me, somewhat close.

I'm sorry I don't understand your question? I'll be teaching full time (Im applying for next year)....I don't know what other positions there are that are not full time. The board of ed's number is 718 935-5633...if that helps....but just a warning, you'll be on hold for awhile :rolleyes:

13. poloace

poloace Senior Member

i was just asking if by teaching full time that would be m-f 9-5 or what...

i'm doing a master's program that runs from about 5;30 - 8:00 every day (except fridays)- i think it would be great to teach in NY. those kids out there fun. kind of thuggish... but fun.
    p

14. dirtybob

dirtybob Member

like vixen said, it is definitely not as easy as you think it is to get a teaching position, especially in the bay area where i plan to teach. You really have to go out of your way to get a teaching spot here...each school district is different, sometimes the district does the initial hiring and then sets you up with a school...while other districts allow the principal to do the hiring.

The hiring process is really frustrating sometimes. I was hired by the principal verbally, but she was fired 2 months ago, and now i'm looking for a job again:( But i'm still optimisitic in finding a new teaching position. I have an interview tomorrow actually!!

dirtybob

15. poloace

poloace Senior Member

dirtybob-
    good luck... i would love to teach part time... i dont know if its possible.. but if i could teach for like 3 or 4 hours a day in nyc, i'd be all over it.
    peter

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. kidmel45

kidmel45 Member

you guys are all awesome for considering teaching!! hopefully you'll inspire kids to consider the sciences for careers. that's how i decided i wanted to be in the sciences...a great teacher. Good luck!

18. dirtybob

dirtybob Member

thanks poloace

You should try after school programs, they have many teaching opportunities and it's laid back work

dirtybob

19. poloace

poloace Senior Member

i will look into it... thanks man
    good luck with all-
    p

20. vixen

vixen I like members

dirtybob, sorry to hear about losing the job....good luck!!

i can't wait till the fall when Ill have some teaching stories to share....I'm sure its gonna be an eye opener!! :eek: :eek:

21. spunk11

spunk11 Wishing for PCOM

Hey All! I will also be teaching this year at a university...I am pretty excited! I will be teaching the general chemistry laboratory at a Big Ten school. :)SPUNKY

22. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel

Pre-Medical
    I'll be teaching biology next year also - with the Peace Corps. I have no idea what age yet or how I'll teach them with all of the famine/AIDS, but it's a great opportunity. Are you guys preparing? How?

23. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.

teaching is the shiznit! teaching my 3rd 'MCAT season' @ Kaplan and I keep meeting interesting people each time. The best is seeing people going from being down on themselves, expecting a 25 to the confident, answer-every-question-front-row person shooting for the 35:clap:

Any of you plan to continue teaching (yes, we all will teach our patients as physicians) as professors? Strangely enough when people ask about specialty I have no answer, but ever since my soph yr of college I knew I wanted to be a professor and TEACH at a med school. Guess having a class full of driven students is a big motivation.

24. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.

SOOO... any other teachers?
    (bump)

25. pAkhtmAn

pAkhtmAn pAkht mEmbEr

Teaching is definitely awesome! I just finished my first season at Kaplan and I plan to keep going. I'm hoping to get a TA position with the chemistry department here (USF). Its really encouraging seeing people improve their grades after you taught/tutor them.
    :)

I definitely see myself teaching in the future after medical school.

26. dirtybob

dirtybob Member

bump

i will be teaching at Hayward High School in CA, 9th grade Biology

27. poloace

poloace Senior Member

i remember dissecting a pig in biology... my 'friend' took the snout home. lame ass..
    p

28. NineSixteen

NineSixteen Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    YAY teachers!!! I taught 2 years in New Orleans with Teach For America. If anyone is interested in teaching in some of the most needy schools across the country and can spare two years, look into it, it's amazing!

www.teachforamerica.org

You get full time teacher salary plus two years of the Americorps education award (about $9,500). You have less stress finding a position than you would on your own since you have the support of a national organization. The best part about TFA is that you are never alone - you have the support of your entire corps (30-200 people, depending on locale) plus you join a national movement of people working to improve educational opportunities for all kids. It's truly an amazing experience and I highly recommend it. Do it before medical school, when else in your life will you have the opportunity to make such a difference?

I also teach MCAT at the princeton review...completely different experience since most of those students are highly self-motivated, but I love that experience also. I'm planning on taking the academic physician route, because teaching and passing on knowledge is so important to me. Really, what is better or more rewarding than teaching?

I'm so happy to see this thread!!!