dirtybob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Status
For my time off, i've decided to teach high school biology, i was wondering if any of you guys are teaching next year or have taught before going to med school

BOB

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2000
upstate ny
Visit site
Status
hey i'll be teaching middle school science this coming year....are you getting excited about teaching?

OP
D

dirtybob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Status
i'm really excited actually to teach biology. I've taught a science class at an after school program for two years, so now i've decided to teach biology in high school. i still have to get hired, but i'm staying positive since the demand for teachers is high apparently. Did you find it tough to get your teaching position vixen? oh yeah, do you have your teaching credentials too?

bob

About the Ads

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2000
upstate ny
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by dirtybob
i'm really excited actually to teach biology. I've taught a science class at an after school program for two years, so now i've decided to teach biology in high school. i still have to get hired, but i'm staying positive since the demand for teachers is high apparently. Did you find it tough to get your teaching position vixen? oh yeah, do you have your teaching credentials too?

bob
in nyc you can teach w/your bachelors, after they review your transcripts and decide what subject area etc you can teach....it was hard to find a position because i'm not FROM nyc, so I didn't know the schools, so I sent my resume and called a BUNCH of schools....the first school that interviewed me (which was a long table with all the staff sitting around it and me at the head, and all of them asking me different questions :eek: ) I liked the atmosphere, the staff, the area etc. My trancripts got reviewed so I could teach chemistry or general science. I'm uncertified, but within the first year of teaching, if I take the LAST and ATS-W exams, a few workshops and some classes, I could be a nys certified teacher....not bad eh? i'm excited to teach, the only thing i'm worried about it my DAT for dental school is the last week in august, and i have a week of teaching orienation right before....and I can't get out of it....its gonna SUCK, but I just have to stay focused. :)

poloace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2001
NY,NY
Visit site
Status
vixen-
are you going to be teaching full time? i'm actually doing a master's degree right now in NYC- but, wow... i think teaching would be rad. i'd love to teach in the neighborhood where i go to school. how do i look into this?
peter

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2000
upstate ny
Visit site
Status
yeah i'll be a full time science teacher: click on this for more info: teachny

the only thing that is REALLY tough about this is that there's a LOT of red tape.....no one is going to spoon feed you and you really have to do a lot of the leg work :rolleyes:

poloace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2001
NY,NY
Visit site
Status
vixen-
who is that a picture of under your name? and is your name seema? i know a seema from nyc- she's rad. but, she's leaving me to go to michigan med (if she gets off of the waitlist).
peter

poloace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2001
NY,NY
Visit site
Status
its a hot name- who is that under your picture? is that you?? that picture actually kind of looks like the seema I know!!

hey- how many hours would you dedicate to this teaching deal?
peter

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2000
upstate ny
Visit site
Status
no not me, somewhat close.

I'm sorry I don't understand your question? I'll be teaching full time (Im applying for next year)....I don't know what other positions there are that are not full time. The board of ed's number is 718 935-5633...if that helps....but just a warning, you'll be on hold for awhile :rolleyes:

poloace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2001
NY,NY
Visit site
Status
i was just asking if by teaching full time that would be m-f 9-5 or what...

i'm doing a master's program that runs from about 5;30 - 8:00 every day (except fridays)- i think it would be great to teach in NY. those kids out there fun. kind of thuggish... but fun.
p

OP
D

dirtybob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Status
like vixen said, it is definitely not as easy as you think it is to get a teaching position, especially in the bay area where i plan to teach. You really have to go out of your way to get a teaching spot here...each school district is different, sometimes the district does the initial hiring and then sets you up with a school...while other districts allow the principal to do the hiring.

The hiring process is really frustrating sometimes. I was hired by the principal verbally, but she was fired 2 months ago, and now i'm looking for a job again:( But i'm still optimisitic in finding a new teaching position. I have an interview tomorrow actually!!

dirtybob

About the Ads

poloace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2001
NY,NY
Visit site
Status
dirtybob-
good luck... i would love to teach part time... i dont know if its possible.. but if i could teach for like 3 or 4 hours a day in nyc, i'd be all over it.
peter

kidmel45

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2002
chicago
Visit site
Status
you guys are all awesome for considering teaching!! hopefully you'll inspire kids to consider the sciences for careers. that's how i decided i wanted to be in the sciences...a great teacher. Good luck!

OP
D

dirtybob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Status
thanks poloace

You should try after school programs, they have many teaching opportunities and it's laid back work

dirtybob

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2000
upstate ny
Visit site
Status
dirtybob, sorry to hear about losing the job....good luck!!

i can't wait till the fall when Ill have some teaching stories to share....I'm sure its gonna be an eye opener!! :eek: :eek:

spunk11

Wishing for PCOM
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
Status
Hey All! I will also be teaching this year at a university...I am pretty excited! I will be teaching the general chemistry laboratory at a Big Ten school. :)SPUNKY

CoffeeCat

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2001
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
I'll be teaching biology next year also - with the Peace Corps. I have no idea what age yet or how I'll teach them with all of the famine/AIDS, but it's a great opportunity. Are you guys preparing? How?

USeF

sunny L.A.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by dirtybob
...i was wondering if any of you guys are teaching next year or have taught before going to med school
teaching is the shiznit! teaching my 3rd 'MCAT season' @ Kaplan and I keep meeting interesting people each time. The best is seeing people going from being down on themselves, expecting a 25 to the confident, answer-every-question-front-row person shooting for the 35:clap:

Any of you plan to continue teaching (yes, we all will teach our patients as physicians) as professors? Strangely enough when people ask about specialty I have no answer, but ever since my soph yr of college I knew I wanted to be a professor and TEACH at a med school. Guess having a class full of driven students is a big motivation.

USeF

sunny L.A.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
SOOO... any other teachers?
(bump)

pAkhtmAn

pAkht mEmbEr
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
Tampa, FL
Visit site
Status
Teaching is definitely awesome! I just finished my first season at Kaplan and I plan to keep going. I'm hoping to get a TA position with the chemistry department here (USF). Its really encouraging seeing people improve their grades after you taught/tutor them.
:)

I definitely see myself teaching in the future after medical school.

NineSixteen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
Baltimore
Status
Resident [Any Field]
YAY teachers!!! I taught 2 years in New Orleans with Teach For America. If anyone is interested in teaching in some of the most needy schools across the country and can spare two years, look into it, it's amazing!

www.teachforamerica.org

You get full time teacher salary plus two years of the Americorps education award (about $9,500). You have less stress finding a position than you would on your own since you have the support of a national organization. The best part about TFA is that you are never alone - you have the support of your entire corps (30-200 people, depending on locale) plus you join a national movement of people working to improve educational opportunities for all kids. It's truly an amazing experience and I highly recommend it. Do it before medical school, when else in your life will you have the opportunity to make such a difference?

I also teach MCAT at the princeton review...completely different experience since most of those students are highly self-motivated, but I love that experience also. I'm planning on taking the academic physician route, because teaching and passing on knowledge is so important to me. Really, what is better or more rewarding than teaching?

I'm so happy to see this thread!!!

About the Ads