Anyone that interviewed at Drew/UCLA i need your help now!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exmike

NOR * CAL
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to know what time the interview day starts, and what building to go to. I was *tentatively* scheduled to interview tomorrow but I never got an itinerary! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have to be there in the morning around 9, but I'm not sure. Try calling Wanda Hall in the morning to make sure.

exmike, i pmed you. good luck on your interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on the interview to drew mike!

good luck tomorrow...

yeah many congrats; hopefully you'll be the first special master's student admitted to UCLA!!

go bruins

****, i forgot to send in that secondary! lol

ok would i pick drew over ucsd?

Originally posted by DoctorKevin

nah i dont think you would...

you have too much cornell on your mind with the cornell ucsd dilemma...

Hi,
I got an interview with Drew/UCLA on Jan 24th. I would really appreciate if someone can give me feedback about the interview.

BTW, I am a non-resident of cali and a non-URM, in case anyone is assessing their chances for an interview.

Thanks

would anyone go to drew over another cali school like usc?

Originally posted by DoctorKevin

The Drew program is very specific in training people to work with underserved population. However, because of the problems the Drew hospital got into, I think it's safer to choose UCSD.

Originally posted by CalBeE
The Drew program is very specific in training people to work with underserved population. However, because of the problems the Drew hospital got into, I think it's safer to choose UCSD.

Definately go to UCSD over Drew. The County Supervisors voted to drop funding for Drews residency programs a few days ago (Not meaning they will, but it's the first step)

Originally posted by Jalby
Definately go to UCSD over Drew. The County Supervisors voted to drop funding for Drews residency programs a few days ago (Not meaning they will, but it's the first step)

If you're a med student at drew, you dont have much to worry as its pretty apparent that the students will be taken care of. Just dont apply to Drew residencies.

USCD and Drew are such different entities that you cant really compare them directly anyway.

Originally posted by exmike
If you're a med student at drew, you dont have much to worry as its pretty apparent that the students will be taken care of. Just dont apply to Drew residencies.

If Drew loses is residents, it would almost impossible to have medical students training there. Residents are the people who are in charge of the day to day handling, grading, and teaching of medical students during the third and forth year. Most likely the Drew students would be forced upon the UCLA and USC system if that happens.

Originally posted by Jalby
Most likely the Drew students would be forced upon the UCLA and USC system if that happens.

i was implying that that wasnt a bad thing to happen to Drew students.

Originally posted by exmike
i was implying that that wasnt a bad thing to happen to Drew students.

Bad choice of wordson my part. I tend to do that a lot. I didn't mean to say they would be forced on someone system. But it is a bad thing for Drew's system. As the residents go, so will the Drew MS III students.

yeah, doesnt sound too bad if the stu had to go to usc and ucla. i think you would go to other county hospitals so that you still get the county experience. kinda sux if you dont get to learn during 3rd yr at mlk since that is theoretically why you would be going there, for that community.

drew has a great program: special mission overall, lots of attention, small class size, ucla first 2 yrs (great place, even better with the new curriculum), 3rd yr very special county experience, 4th yr college (rotate at other places, taught how to practice in an underserved urban area, unique), 4th yr research project. its really a one of a kind thing. just the problems at king/drew kind of masks all of that and gives it a horrible reputation among everyone (you would be surprised, but lots of people read the paper). now there are changes taking place almost everyday and its really hard to deal with. very sad. i wonder whose fault this all is.

still hard to decide to go to another southern cali school (lets say like keck usc, uci, ucsd, loma linda, ucla) if you are really dedicated to the mission and the community. i know you can work with underserved at almost any school, but none will give you the special things i listed above. (i dont even have this choice, im just throwing it out there cause im thinking about it and cant figure it out)????