Anyone think I have a chance at top IM Residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NEOwhattt

End of 3rd year
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to get a feel of where I am compared to other students out there, and what kind of realistic chances I have to getting into a strong IM program (specifically Northwestern, Univ of Chicago, Wash U, Mayo).
Step 1 - 236
Few Honors in Preclinicals
Honored Peds so far, got 96 on IM shelf/ hoping to honor the course, in surgery now, and passed the rest of the rotations.
I have one publication in Cardio research
I feel like I can get some decent LOR's
Have a decent amount of extracurriculars, with a few "leadership" positions
Been in the 25/15% of class (class rank not given out)
I come from a med school probably in the bottom 25%

Also, I know some spanish, not solid though, but I figured that would definately make me stand out, esp in Chicago. So im gonna try to tune that up a bit. Any comments on my shots at these programs or what else should be done next year to secure at least an interview. Appreciate any comments

Members don't see this ad.

do an away rotation at a few of the places/cities you are interested in

I have pretty much the same application as you and I am trying to do what the previous poster stated; away electives at programs I am interested in.

For IM, I feel like 230+ gets you through the initial screening process. Whether you get the interview probably depends on the other things; AOA, research, activities.

I got a very similar step 1 score as you, but I'm taking step 2ck to hopefully show that I can do better. Its a risk, but I feel like to get into the top programs I need to. I'm also trying to expand my research experience (2 publications so far) by doing various research projects. I'm also doing away rotations at programs I'm interested in (UChicago, Stanford, etc.).

I think you are in a good position to get into some top programs --- at this point just try and make your application as unique and comprehensive as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

Iam an img, i plan to participate in the 2009 match,i just took my step1, results r not out yet.I need some advice, i did well in my medical school, have one year of internship n pg training experience from my country,now i am kinda double minded wether i should do some research work or gain some kind of clinical experience in US now or after iam done with my steps in october :confused:

hey guys,

Iam an img, i plan to participate in the 2009 match,i just took my step1, results r not out yet.I need some advice, i did well in my medical school, have one year of internship n pg training experience from my country,now i am kinda double minded wether i should do some research work or gain some kind of clinical experience in US now or after iam done with my steps in october :confused:

As a medical school graduate, you are not eligible for US clinical experience outside of actually doing an internship/residency. Clinical experience requires malpractice insurance and unfortunately, without being a student or a resident, most programs will not provide it for you. Clinical experience is designed as final year electives for students not for those who are between school and residency.

No one is able to give you any "What are my chances" information because applications are largely based on USMLE scores, US letters of recommendation, possessing an ECFMG certificate (some programs will not accept applications without it) and other information you don't have yet.

As a medical school graduate, you are not eligible for US clinical experience outside of actually doing an internship/residency.

The previous poster was probably talking about observerships.