Anyone think most premeds are really annoying and loser type poeple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Wall$treet

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, well i turned premed well into my college career, about two years into it, and i have really found that i dont like most of my premed classmates. I found a group of people, probably 4 people or so that i met and have stuck with and studied ever since my first premed days. Im talking the kind of people who walk out of a gen chem test in tears, or how they whine about if they get a B their life is over.
Not to mention i really dont meet thatmany premeds who know how to socialize or talk with people, which i htink is crucial for a career in medicine. The poeple i like are non bio majors who are doign premed, and it just happened that eveyrone i have befriended during premed years have been like that, well except for a couple.
These are also people who you see during mcat, ask how a section went, and are pouting and telling you they dont want to talk about it. I mean i alays went through college with a laid back attitidue of .. do your best and when its over its done.. dont worry about it. And i have kept a 3.98 and am pretyt much done classes.. I dont know, are there gonna be normal people in med school?? im sure alot of you are cool and normal but really if any of you are in a liberal arts program or business or something you realize how much cooler people are there.. Premds can be way stressed and overbearing! ok just an observation!

Members don't see this ad.

I know what you are saying, but I have to ask--what does talking about it really accomplish? For me, I just treat everyone as I would want to be treated-- I don't avoid the annoying premed people, rather I become someone they can trust and talk to-- I learned early on that complaining about people really doesn't do anything... you can put your time into building relationships with the "typical premed" people that annoy you. It is also beneficial to get out of your comfort quartet and meet all people from different walks of life-- isolating yourself from the premeds you dislike shows how unwilling you are to work with people that don't fit the mold you are looking for. I am a Bio major and I don't let people get to me-- I just do what I do and I offer help to others where I can. Just a side note-- GPA isn't everything. I think I have seen two posts by you and each time you have mentioned your GPA-- it's good, but please get over it. If you want a medal I can send you one--- I have a great GPA, but I figure that's my business and there is no need to mention it... and I have noticed throughout college that people who mention it all the time are the ones that truly annoy me...

Just an observation...

one of my best friends from high school and i have very similar academic capabilities; we had similar grades and test scores in high school. i went to a competitive private university and he went to a solid state school. we were both completely laid back in high school. i can't remember that either of us really did any homework any day of the week. he is still really laid back. he does what he needs to in order to do well at his school. on the other hand, i am not so laid back anymore. i am not competitive with my classmates or cut throat but i border on being one of those annoying premeds you talk about. why? i had to be in order to do well. my freshman year, i had a laid back attitude and i got my butt kicked. i had to turn into a studying machine to get some A's. if you put 400 people who were all in the top of their class in high school together in an organic chem class and only give 10% A's, you have to be Will Hunting or you have to study till your eyes bleed. when everyone is smart and everyone is a good student, you can become annoying or give up being a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is gonna give me one hell of a flame, but...

Sometimes I think it's legit to set your standard at an A, as a premed. Come to think of it, if you get too many Bs, then it indeed destroys your chance of getting into a medical school. And, some of us who are interested in academic medicine would be more or less inclined to get into a better program, and 3.5 is probably not going to get you very far for the top 10 or top 20. (not to discourage anybody, but this is the fact) so even if you get half As and half Bs, you still would compete poorly against the very best students, who, along with having As, also have tons of extracurriculars.

So, realistically i don't think it's that outrageous to be a little thrown off by a B (which, BTW, is worse than a B+ on AMCAS). I mean, they do stack up and they do come back and haunt you. This really comes from my personal experience. Plus, many scholarships and awards are based solely on GPA. Sad, but true. GPA doesn't tell you much about being smart. (Some of the smartest people I know have ****ty GPAs. THankfully they are not applying to med schools.) It's mostly about priorities.

As far as pre-meds being anal...I'd have to say the only annoying thing about pre-med is that most of the students in the classes aren't truly interested in the class. They sorta just want to get it out of the way. People in physical sciences actually like the stuff they do (yes, even organic synthesis) and I think in many ways that's admirable. In our society not very many truly want to do their jobs because they enjoy the day to day work of the job. Most premeds probably look for social status that comes from the job of physician much more than the actual job of physician itself. This, in turn, makes them less interesting, because it becomes a passive, sociological law of mass action rather than an individualized pursuit. This is particularly true for immigrants and minorities because medicine is something that can dramatically increase living standards and social standing.

So, it's not that simple. Premeds may be anal, but it may very well be the society at large that is pushing them that way.

In my experince, most pre-meds I've encountered do seem very competitive and not all that inclined towards helping each other out. I think it's a legitimate concern if you think you could be entering a profession (or school) where people are going to be unfriendly. But I think that it's kind of a "nature of the beast" thing. It's hard to get into med school, and all of the hype flying around about less than half of the people gettin in and 40+/4.0 probably makes people even crazier than they would be normally. So don't worry, Dr. Wall$treet, I think that once people are actually in med school, a lot of the competitiveness will fall away (except for the people who are really concerned w/ competing for residencies). I consider myself to be a very laid back person (just ask my roommates), and I think that most pre-meds out there are good people if you can get to know them.

Reactions: 1 user