anyone thinking about taking a year off before residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coconut lime

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am considering taking a year off between graduation and starting residency. i'm an m2 right now, but i plan to get married (to a med student a year younger than me) after 4th year and i think it would be nice to have a year to be married without all the stresses of residency. what options are there for people in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking a year off so that you can couple's match with your husband is an excellent idea. I'd reccomend doing research in whatever field you are interested in. The hours can be pretty light, plus it can be a real boost to your CV to help ensure that you and your husband can couple's match in whichever city you guys want to go to. Some research fellowships will allow you to defer your med school loans too. Something else to consider is that you may want to post-pone third or fourth year instead of taking a year off after fourth year so that your clinical skills won't be rusty when it comes time to do your internship year. Other opportunities depend on where you will be living and what med shcool you go to.

thanks for the ideas, kalel. i don't want to waste my time with a job at the mall, and i guess being a labrat is better than screwing around for a year. even though i hate research! thanks again.