eliscord

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status
Im really interested in Canadian schools but I dont even know if it would be possible for me to go because Im a US citizen, has anyone here tried? :confused:

NeuroSync

Every day is a good day
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Puget Sound
Status
Attending Physician
eliscord said:
Im really interested in Canadian schools but I dont even know if it would be possible for me to go because Im a US citizen, has anyone here tried? :confused:
I've seen a thread on this (not sure where). The only school that I know of that accepts US citizens is McGill, and it is VERY competitive (like a mid to upper-tier US MD program).
I hope that helps...

snuffles04

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Canadian med schools are really hard to get accepted to - mainly because there are so few schools and way to many Canadians wanting to go the med school. Alot of Canadian applicants are actually forced to come to the US to go to med school because of all the competition - I'd say it's not a great idea to consider Canadian schools - they are just too competitive (number of people applying-wise)

AndrewB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 15, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
Status
McGill does accept American students, but I believe it is the only school is Canada that does. If you have Canadian citizenship you will be able to apply to other Canadian schools, but I believe the requirements on average are higher than American schools.

Fuega26

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
NY
Status
eliscord said:
my friend from Canada is only applying to US schools because it is sooo competitive in Canada. She atcually told me a friend of hers with a 35 still did not get accepted into any canadian med schools...i hope that gives you some perspective

fuega

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Dalhousi also accepts US citizens.. UofToronto also accepts international applicants.
Unless you have exceptional reasons/and grades.. I would not even bother applying to Canada. I am actually coming down to US to study.