Anyone took Aug'01 MCAT, applied Oct'01 & accepted for 2002?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luv Nietzsche

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get the general opinion on applying in October vs. next year. Do you think I can still have a chance of getting in for next year if I apply in Oct? Or is it better to wait 'til next year to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the April mcats but I sent in my amcas on Oct 3rd. I was recently just barely accepted to a school. It is very risky. If you are a strong applicant it should be ok. I'm not a very strong applicant, but this year was different due to the amcas screw ups. Next year I guess it will be back to normal.

Thanks Foxy. I'm double major: Neuroscience & Comparative Literature. GPA 3.699. Have clinical background for 7 years. Plan to take MCAT in Aug. I'm not sure that's competitive. When you say next year will be back to normal, do you mean that it's no use applying in Oct?

It will be ok to apply as long as you do well on your mcats. Your gpa is good. I guess we are pretty similar, I have a 3.67 and I'm a double major too (but both are humanities).

But why are you applying in Oct? You should send in your application in June! Your applications should be COMPLETE and should only be waiting for your mcat scores in October.

Members don't see this ad :)
i took the August MCAT and fared all right this year probably bc of AMCAS suckiness.

i'm not sure how cleared up all those AMCAS problems will be for this year.

nevertheless, it's not the end of the world to take the August MCAT.
as long as you get everything in early.
i.e. send in your transcript in June; have AMCAS sent in by the end of June, etc.

a lot of schools will send you their secondaries without seeing your MCAT score.

I took the August 2000 MCAT, applied that fall and was accepted to the 2001 class. You just have to make sure you get everything else done while you're waiting on your scores.

Sorry to bring this up... but I have an MCAT question.... What would happen to the pH if you add NH4Cl to water. I believe that the pH would remain the same... but I'm not sure

I took the august mcat AND sent in my amcas on Oct.1 and I'm in. I have a 3.5 at a top 20 school and got a 33 on the big test. I suggest doing what others have suggested... if you're going to take the August mcat, make sure you send everything in early. Some schools might even offer you an interview at that stage. I did get interview offers later in the game at 5 schools out of 9 but I don't suggest doing what I did.

Yes I know this... I went back and changed my answer because I knew NH4Cl had acid-base properties.

I Took August 2001 MCAT, submitted AMCAS 10/10, verified 11/10, and I've been accepted. However, I have been waitlisted at a couple schools where I think I would have been accepted, had I interviewed earlier (class was full by the time they got to me).

It's completely doable, I would just suggest getting your AMCAS submitted ASAP after taking the MCAT, and have all your transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc. in order as early as possible. You don't want to submit the AMCAS app too early, as you might start getting secondaries while you are trying to study for the MCAT.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks to all of you guys for the input. I'll take your advice & apply by end of June. I plan to apply only California schools. Because of my family obligation, I won't be able to move. Those of you who applied to UC's & other Cal schools, how much time do they generally give you to fill & return the secondaries? Thanks.

I, too, am an August MCAT taker who's been accepted. The only frustrating thing for me, which I was warned about, was being behind in the application schedule compared to the April folks. Some of my friends already had multiple acceptances by the time I received my first interview invitation! Nevertheless, it obviously hasn't hurt me.

I am concerned about your only applying to CA schools, though. I'm sure you know how brutally difficult it can be to get in to a UC school (a former member of UCLA's adcom said they don't even look at MCAT scores below 33 unless you have something else extraordinary in your app.) Applying to 9 schools (the UC's plus USC, Loma Linda & Stanford) doesn't give you much room for the random, inanely arbitrary nature of this process. It's not that it can't be done, but if you can, you might want to reconsider your out-of-state options to increase your chances of getting in. Basically, keep in mind that there are just over 800 seats in CA med schools for the many thousands of people who apply. The odds aren't pretty.

Good luck!

Thanks inanna. Yes, I've considered a lot about applying out-of-state schools. But, even if I get in I have to turn it down. I turned down UC Berkeley for UC Irvine for undergrad. At this point in my life I have to turn down even Harvard for UCI for med school (seems stupid, but it's my reality). So I figure why apply. If I don't get accepted this year, I have to improve whatever's lacking & try it next year.