SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anyone took Harvard Summer premed classes?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by qkitty, May 9, 2002.

1. qkitty

qkitty Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 2, 2001
    Hi there!

I'm thinking of taking a premed class during this summer at Harvard. But I was told that it's like a 'boot camp'. Is it really that hard? Any advice will be appreciated!!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gobears

gobears Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2001
    At Northwestern, a lot of pre-meds go to Harvard for summer courses because it's supposed to be really easy compared to NU courses. Of course, if you go to a school with easier pre-med courses, then Harvard might seem like boot camp.

4. qkitty

Nov 2, 2001
    Hey gobears!

I'm just wearing a Bears hat! Thanks!

5. peabody

peabody Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 3, 2002
    MA
    I was considering doing bio this summer at Harvard, but honestly I was kind of intimidated by the prospect of cramming a years worth of biology into seven weeks - I think I am going to take it somewhere with two sessions instead.

6. qkitty

Nov 2, 2001
    Hey Peabody,
    That's also what I'm worried about! one chapter per day, lab whole afternoon, exam every week... That's scary!
    I just want to know if that's doable and "A"able.

7. polarbear

polarbear Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2001
    Cambridge, MA USA
    Even though I never took one of the premed summer courses there, I was a proctor (kinda like an RA) for the Harvard Summer School for 2 years, and I have many friends who took courses there as well. You're right that they do cram a lot of material into a short period of time, but it is quite doable from what I've seen. Some people enjoy the short, intense nature of it, and even high school students (a high proportion of these intro summer science classes contain rising high school seniors) can excel in them. It's just a matter of keeping up with the work, and not falling behind. Since it does move so quickly, you don't have much leeway when it comes to wasting time. But I'd say go for it!

8. qkitty

Nov 2, 2001
    thanks for the advice polarbear!

9. conure

conure Master Distiller 7+ Year Member

Apr 28, 2002
    West
    I'm finishing harvard post bac currently. I took Gen chem with prof davis over the summer (2001) and it was great. It was very demanding in that there was a test each monday and lab three days a week as well as lecture and discussions. I don't think it is possible to work and do the summer school (even part time). That said the class was great. I learned a ton and the TFs were very good. A lot of people started it and didn't finish it.

As for the other classes heres what I know. Same deal in that they are rushed, but thats summer school for ya and if you want to get it done in the summer you have to face that fact.

Physics is not to tough, the prof is fair and reasonable. Still problem sets due each week and the lab is a snooze fest. Definitely a good canidate for summer school. (again I took it over the year)

Orgo. There is a different prof in the summer than the regular year. People say he is easier and more laid back. I think the lab for this would suck over the summer, just b/c its 4 hours. But some people just can't handle the year long teacher. To each his own. (I took it over the year)

Bio. Prof Fixson is the head of the post-bac program. He gears this class towards the MCAT and it works. The first half is all cell and genetics (read tough). The second half is organismic in anatomy etc. (read easier). The lab is not bad, most of the time you are out pretty quickly ie under 3 hours. His tests can be tough, I wouldn't say this is an easy class, plenty of people couldn't handle it over the year let alone the summer. (I took it during the year)

All and all I think they are all doable and enjoyable if you have the dedication and the time. Sorry to be so long but I feel I know the program pretty well.

10. Dark Sandbars

Dark Sandbars Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 27, 2001
    I did the Biology class last summer at Harvard, and it was awesome. Fixsen really rocks, and I thought my classmates were impressive people.

Oh, and don't count out the high schoolers. Those kids (and I do mean kids) are SMART.

It's great preparation for the MCAT, by the way, though in my case, I needed to get my bio pre-req out of the way anyhow...

11. MUN2005

MUN2005 Miner? 7+ Year Member

Aug 19, 2001
    Canada
    I plan on taking second semester bio this summer. I don't know about Harvard, but here, the general concencious(sp?) is that summer courses are a little more laid back that the rest of the year.

12. qkitty

Nov 2, 2001
    Thank you all for the awesome advice!! Good luck applying for med school! It's a long way to go for me, but I'm so happy so many people here are work so hard and persuing the same dream!! Cheers!!!