Jan 31, 2005
Status
For those of you who took the MCAT after soph yr, I'm just curious to know:

1. your MCAT score
2. whether or not you regret taking it early on
3. whether or not you had to retake it; if so, your 2nd MCAT score
4. whether or not you took upper lvl sci classes
5. if you did take upper lvl, how much you think it helped
6. would you encourage or discourage taking it after soph yr/ any additional comments

The reason for wanting to know the preceding info is that I'm going to be done with all my prereqs this semester and wanted to take the MCAT this Aug. However, I'm feeling kind of anxious because I have had NO upper lvl sci classes and am wondering if maybe it is too early in the game. However, I'm feeling like if I devote the entire summer to just MCAT studying, that I might be able to pull it off and never have to worry about it again! :) I would appreciate hearing from ANYONE who has taken it after soph yr and how it worked out for you. Thanks!

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
Status
1. 8 PS/10 VR/12 BS = 30R
2. No, not at all; best thing I could have done
3. Could have retaken it this April but chose not to. Honestly, a 30 is good enough for me, plus I will never again get a 12 in bio!
4. 2 quarters of physiology, 1 microbio class
5. Physiology was helpful b/c my bio section ended up having a few physio passages that I know I nailed since physio was my strong suit. I am a firm believer though that upper div classes are helpful but not necessary for highly motivated students who can recognize areas they don't know well and shore up their knowledge with their text books.
6. Yes I would encourage anyone! I have posted numerous times on this and the advantages.

nishi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
someone else posted on this topic, but i'll tell you the same thing i told them
i didn't take it after my sophomore year but here are my feelings:

many people do summer programs during the summer. i think its better to spend your summer doing a summer program than to study for the mcat. i guess you could do both at the same time though. remember, if you've seen the AAMC application, they give you fifteen spaces to enter in your extra cirricular activities. the summer after your sophomore year is the last summer you will have to do something you would want to put on your amcas (if you want to submit it early, which is in june). i am of the opinion that most people do summer programs during the summer. i think you are only placing yourself at a disadvanage if you spend that time studying for the mcat.

in my opinion, take more upper level courses. they can only help.
then plan a light load (12 credits of easier humanities courses for the spring). start reviewing over winter break and i think you'll be fine.

drguy22

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Attending Physician
nassir said:

1. your MCAT score
6. would you encourage or discourage taking it after soph yr/ any additional comments

The reason for wanting to know the preceding info is that I'm going to be done with all my prereqs this semester and wanted to take the MCAT this Aug. However, I'm feeling kind of anxious because I have had NO upper lvl sci classes and am wondering if maybe it is too early in the game. However, I'm feeling like if I devote the entire summer to just MCAT studying, that I might be able to pull it off and never have to worry about it again! :) I would appreciate hearing from ANYONE who has taken it after soph yr and how it worked out for you. Thanks!
1) first score=7 9 9 M, second score= 10 10 10 P
2) Nope not at all
3) yes, 10 10 10 P
4) yes i took genetics, neurobiology , and b4 i retook i was in the process of taking biochemistry over the summer.
5) biochem was very helpful, id recommend microbio
6) take it your sophmore year, its better i think, gives u some breathing room just in case u screw up.

and yup its worked out..i will be attending NJMS this fall:) :thumbup:

Good luck! :luck:

SensesFail

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2004
Status
Medical Student
nassir said:

1. your MCAT score
1. 25Q (8PS, 6V, 11BS)
2. Yes, I do regret taking it early on. I have confidence that I'll improve this August when I re-write but I don't like the fact that I now have a permanent stain on my application.
3. Retaking this August ('05)
4. When I wrote the MCAT the 1st time, I had completed upper level classes in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, and Neurobiology along with the usual pre-reqs. Obviously, these upper level bio classes helped since my highest section was BS.
5. See above
6. Personally, I would discourage from taking it after sophomore year but this stems entirely from my experience (i.e. Had I gotten a good score, I would probably be encouraging you to take it after soph yr :laugh: ). My college grades were/are excellent and I finished with A's in all my classes before I wrote the MCAT. I think I was a little overconfident and thought I could get the MCAT "out of the way". But, in the end, it didn't turn out that way. College grades aren't a very good correlate with how you'll do on the MCAT. However, the final decision is up to you. Take a few practice tests to see where you stand and go from there. My practice tests ranged from 15 to 31. This year I completed other upper level classes in Genetics, Embryology and Physiology for the BS section. For PS, I took an Astronomy course, which focused much more on conceptual physics, something that's tested on the PS section much more than heavy calculations. And for Verbal, I'm currently in a Philosophy course that's forcing me to practice reading dense journal articles quickly. Just see how you do on a couple of practice tests to see where you stand and decide from there but don't get overconfident! Good luck!

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Status
1. 14 11 14
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. I didn't take any, but I don't think you need them if you review
6. I think it is easier to take in the summer when you have time to prepare because the spring is always much busier for me with classes and other obligations. Plus you get a head start on everything and don't have to worry about applying late.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am planning on doing the exact same thing. I will however had 2 advanced physics and cellular biology and genetics courses. I have talked to my advisors and many others who plan on doing this strategy because of the following advantages it has.

1. You get the bloody thing over with...
(If you like your score you can pretty much relax and flush out other areas of your application. If not, you have one more opportunity to take it without falling into danger of scores not coming soon enough)

2. The material is freshest in your mind.
(If you have taken all of the material...then there is no reason to wait and forget material...as it only requires the basic sciences...upper levels may help but tens of thousands have done it without upper levels and gotten good scores.)

As far as Nishi's comment...not everyone does programs in the summer of their sophomore year partly because many programs are restricted to people who have completed upper levels. You can shadow doctors and volunteer during the school year. Plus a program during your junior summer can be used especially if you tell the program director your applying during the summer...they can give you a rec.

If you have a high GPA, are active on campus, have some volunteer hours and get a good score on the mcat...admissions won't care if you spent the summer studying...

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
I took it April of my Sophomore year (well, 2nd year in college). I got a 31. The only downside was a 9 in bio. I took it the next April and got a 32, but more importantly got the triple double (all three subsections into the double digit range). If you're prepared, you're prepared.

DR DRE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Cali
Status
1. 33Q (12P, 12B, 9V)
2. Did not regret taking it early, felt very preapred
3. Thinking of retaking it, not sure what I'm gonna do...
4. No upper division classes, all pre-med req's had been completed
5. If you work your ass off, and study alot, you will be fine. Take a prep course like Princeton Review, and they will fill in any gaps you might have. I think you should prep for the MCAT, and if your not scoring as high as you would like then dont take it. But if you are scoring 30+ on your practice tests, then go for it!

Good Luck!

OP
N

nassir

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status
Thanks for replying everyone! :) Please keep them coming...I would love to hear from anyone else.

Choolie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Ohio
Status
1. P: 12 V: 12 B: 11 W: N
2. No
3. no
4. no. have taken them since, biochem/mol gen would help a lot
5. N/A
6. taking it with a prep course over the summer was the easiest way to go. I can't imagine taking a prep class while attending regular class.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
I'm actually a grad student, not a sophomore, but my timetable was the same as if I were an undergrad sophomore. (In other words, I took the MCAT two summers before graduating, not spring of the year before.)

1. PS-14, VR-14, WS-S, BS-15

2. Heck no!

3. Yes, because my previous scores had expired. The scores I gave above were my second set of scores. I took the test the first time in 1996 when I was in college. I scored PS-11, VR-11, WS-P, BS-12 then.

4. Yes. I am finishing my PhD in organic chemistry, so I have taken several advanced chemistry classes. I've also had some graduate level biology, but no graduate level physics unless you count physical chemistry.

5. Not much, actually. The thing that helped me most was learning test-taking strategy, not taking advanced science classes. Most of the MCAT science is on a fairly basic level.

6. Since you have completed all of the pre-reqs, definitely do it. You'll get it out of the way, and you'll be able to concentrate on doing well in your classes junior year instead of stressing over taking your upper level science courses while you study for the MCAT.

Suggestion: practice taking MCAT style tests. Practice A LOT. If you don't want to shell out for a course, go to Barnes and Noble and buy yourself a couple of MCAT books with practice tests. Learning all of the science in the world is not enough to guarantee you a high score on the MCAT.

iamgoaloriented

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2004
Status
nassir said:

1. your MCAT score

The only person I know who did it got a 38. I think its a good idea myself and heres why:

It will be done with and out of the way. Your junior year will be easier. You can submit amcas as early as possible. If you have to retake it you will be able to do so without it slowing down the application process.

You dont need the upper level science classes. Genetics, Human Phys, and Biochem help, but everything you need will be in the review books that you dont even have to buy (it shouldnt be hard to find someone to give them to you), and having taken the other prereqs recently will be a plus.

I would get some review books, review them thoroughly first, and then go over some practice tests (AAMC practice online is well worth and costs like $80 unless they increased it since I took it). If you arent scoring as well as youd like you can just put it off, but if you are doing well then I say get her done.

You could take a review course, but those are $1000. Im not saying its not worth it, but if you get the books off of someone who is willing to give them to you and buy AAMC's stuff it'll cost you $80 and it is enough for you to do well.

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
1. 13 PS/11 VR/11 BS == 35Q
2. No, best thing I could've possibly done.
3. Nah, I didn't think I needed to retake.....
4. I have since taken upper level classes, but not before the MCAT (I did take genetics that summer though).
5. No, upper level classes would not have helped me (genetics and physiology might be worth it though).
6. If you can take it after sophomore year, DO IT!

I do not have time to study for it now, so I am eternally glad that it's already finished.

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
nishi said:
the summer after your sophomore year is the last summer you will have to do something you would want to put on your amcas (if you want to submit it early, which is in june). i am of the opinion that most people do summer programs during the summer. i think you are only placing yourself at a disadvanage if you spend that time studying for the mcat.
Nah, I have a substantial number of extracurriculars, but I didn't do any of them during that summer. If you have good time management, you should take it during your sophomore year.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
Status
the summer after your sophomore year is the last summer you will have to do something you would want to put on your amcas (if you want to submit it early, which is in june). i am of the opinion that most people do summer programs during the summer. i think you are only placing yourself at a disadvanage if you spend that time studying for the mcat.
No, I have an inordinate amount of extracurric stuff that I did my freshman year, summer after freshman year, sophomore year, pared down the summer after my soph year and resumed full force this year (junior year). You don't need some amazing 2 month expedition to Africa to get in; a higher MCAT will serve you better. It's the single most important thing, so I always say put it first and put yourself in the best position...which means the best preparation.

StevenRF

10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status
nassir said:

1. your MCAT score
1. 12P 12B 9V N
2. Don't regret it at all. I wanted to retake it this april, but I have no time since I'm working full time to pay for school and double majoring.
3. That was the retake. Took it during highschool thinking I could skip college, got a 34.
4.Just the normal pre med reqs.
6. Do take it in the summer. Just devote a whole summer to it, rock it, and never worry about it again. Besides, you can easily fit in research and volunteering during the summer.

As a side note/ anecdote, stay in doors and study for 3 months straight!! I wanted to take a break one day, went skateboarding, broke my writing hand, and was the only ******* in the whole room with a cast on. I actually cut it off during lunch break....

antissa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
Toronto, Canada
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
nassir said:

1. your MCAT score

1. 38R (V=12, B=13, P=13)
2. Not at all
3. No
4. Nope
5. N/A
6. I think if you want to give it a shot, you should. If you mess up, you'll have more opportunities in the future and will have an advantage over everyone else since you've done it once already. I'm in my junior year now and get to sit back and watch all my friends panic, it's awesome! :laugh:
Also, in my opinion, first or second year classes are generally all you'll need. I actually think upper level classes go into too much detail, and may bump some other more basic knowledge out of your head. The exception might be if certain classes are only offered in upper years - for example, at my school, physiology was a 3rd year course, so I didn't have it when I wrote the MCAT, but it was fine. A good prep courses will teach you what you need to know anyway. Good luck!

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
StevenRF said:
1. 12P 12B 9V N
2. Don't regret it at all. I wanted to retake it this april, but I have no time since I'm working full time to pay for school and double majoring.
3. That was the retake. Took it during highschool thinking I could skip college, got a 34.
4.Just the normal pre med reqs.
6. Do take it in the summer. Just devote a whole summer to it, rock it, and never worry about it again. Besides, you can easily fit in research and volunteering during the summer.

As a side note/ anecdote, stay in doors and study for 3 months straight!! I wanted to take a break one day, went skateboarding, broke my writing hand, and was the only ******* in the whole room with a cast on. I actually cut it off during lunch break....
Yeah, right. You scored higher on the MCAT when you took it in high school? :laugh:

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
Status
All of the personal stories in the world won't make a difference; You need to evaluate your own situation. Will you have taken all, or most all of the premed classes prior to May or June or whenever your semester ends? Can you shirk everything, or most everything else and just prep for 8-12 weeks (depending on when your school gets out)? I'm not saying cut everything out but can you not take classes and go easy on work if you do it? Are you self-motivated? Even if not, you can take a class. There will be disadvantage to taking it if you feel you can prepare adequetly, and then you do the preparation it takes. If you have other things going on during the summer or haven't taken enough classes then you need to do the normal thing and take it in April.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well for me I am definitely taking the exam after my sophomore year because of one reason:THE LAST PAPER TEST AUGUST 2006.

OP
N

nassir

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status
Thanks so much MattSzad! That link was truly remarkable! :) If taking the MCAT Aug after soph yr worked out for anyone else, I'm be more than thrilled to hear your story (partly b/c it will motivate me!)

Thundrstorm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
Status
Medical Student
1. 25 (Q I think) PS-7, VR-10, BS-8 (August '03)
2. The experience of the test day was useful, but I regret if b/c I wasn't prepared.
3. I'm retaking on Saturday, so we'll see (practice tests have been around 30)
4. Since then, yes, and it has made a huge difference not only in my knowledge, but in my ability to think critically and figure out how to answer passages that I know nothing about. Doing research, and reading lots of scientific journal articles helped with this too; the passages don't seem as dense, and I'm better at understanding the passages abotu experimental protocols.
5. Alot, especially Genetics, Biochem, and Molecular.
6. It's relative to the individual, but I would discourage it b/c I think that you can only improve with more classes under your belt. The only drawback to waiting is that I'm very rust on intro courses from freshman year, like Organic.

Good luck.

HistoRocks

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
Status
BrettBatchelor said:
Well for me I am definitely taking the exam after my sophomore year because of one reason:THE LAST PAPER TEST AUGUST 2006.
Where'd you hear this?

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AAMC website says that starting in 2007 all of the MCAT will be CBT. Im not looking for the link at 2 am but you can pretty easily find it.

ambulancedriver

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 28, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
1. in the 30s
2. nope. one of my better decisions to take it early and in the summer
3. only took MCAT this once
4. I only had cell bio, brain and behavior, and physics I done

5. I think cell bio and brain and behavior helped to solidify some of the concepts and serve as a review. Cell bio covered some things on the MCAT that my gen. bio class didn't, but in some respects it was too detailed. the details helped to understand the concepts better though. I would recommend cell bio and genetics if possible, but not as a definite prereq. The review books though cover most if not all the material you need to know for the mcat and nothing else. Sometimes it helps not to have extraneous knowledge because really the MCAT is testing the same BASIC stuff over and over in different ways. The key is figuring out what they are testing and applying it to the new situation that they present to you.

6. I would recommend taking it in August if you can discipline yourself to study in the summer. It is so much easier not having to worry about papers and exams for classes during this time. If you took it in the Aug. before senior year, you are sort of late for applications. that's why if you feel you have a good grasp of what you learned in your basic science classes, then start studying for the Aug. before your junior year and see how you are doing on the practice tests. If doing close to 30 early on, then go for the real thing.

edit: after reading matt's post in the other thread, I should also mention that by the end of my sophomore year, I had completed all gen chem and bio, organic chem, and one semester of physics. the rest of physics (2nd semester) I learned from the princeton review physical sciences book, which is pretty good even at teaching the concepts with plenty of examples. when I take the actual physics II course, I plan on using it as a supplement to the course text. so yes, taking at least some physics early helps as well.

nassir said:

1. your MCAT score

PHECT

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2004
New Jersey
Status
nassir said:

1. your MCAT score - 38Q (13 BIO, 12 VERB, 13 PHYS)
2. whether or not you regret taking it early on - BEST DECISION... I FELT MUCH MORE PREPARED BECAUSE I HAD JUST FINISHED ORG AND ALL THE BASIC SCIENCES... THEY WERE MUCH MORE 'FRESH'
3. whether or not you had to retake it; if so, your 2nd MCAT score - DIDN'T RETAKE
4. whether or not you took upper lvl sci classes - YEAH.. I TOOK HISTOLOGY, PHYSIOLOGY, BIOCHEMISTRY AND SOME OTHER AWFUL CELL BIO COURSES
5. if you did take upper lvl, how much you think it helped - IT WOULD'VE HURT ME
6. would you encourage or discourage taking it after soph yr/ any additional comments - I CAN'T ANSWER THAT... I CAN ONLY ANSWER IT IF YOU FEEL PREPARED. IT'S PERSONAL AND IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU REMEMBER AND HOW MUCH YOU'VE TAKEN. NO PERSON CAN ANSWER THIS QUESTION UNIFORMLY.

AS FOR THE REST OF YOUR COMMENTS, I DID EXACTLY THAT. I PULLED OFF ONE SUMMER, STUDYING MY ASS OFF AND TOOK IT IN AUGUST. IF YOU DO THAT, THEN THE MATERIAL SHOULDN'T CONCERN YOU. YOU'LL HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO LEARN ANY SCIENCE THAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW (INEVITABLY THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOME). THE ONE COURSE THAT DID HELP HOWEVER WAS PHYSIOLOGY... I FOUND A LOT OF THE BIOSCI PASSAGES WERE ABOUT DISEASES OR ORGAN SYSTEMS I HAD ALREADY STUDIED.

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Status
1. 14 PS, 11 VR, 14 BS
2. No, it was perfect for me
3. No
4. No
5. N/A
6. I think if you are ready it's a good idea. It's a lot easier to prepare during the summer than during the spring, especially if you are very busy with extracurriculars. I think there is plenty of time to do other things while you are studying, so it's not like it takes your whole summer. Taking upper level courses is over-rated by some people, IMO. There were a few topics I had to pick up from the Kaplan book because I hadn't seen them before, but you definitely don't need a whole semester of genetics or biochem to be ready. If you are done with the prereqs I think you should definitely give it a shot.