Nov 8, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Hey guys!

I'm looking into getting my first set of loupes and I wanted something that wasn't gonna break my wallet and also wasn't gonna fall apart on me half-way through a restoration. Heine seems to be the gold-standard from what I've read/heard. And down the opposite end are some cheaper loupes like "Medlite" etc ... Like i said, not too keen on going to either extremes so after some extensive/late-night googling I came across "GRC Dental"

there isn't much info on their website but they seem ok I suppose (haven't tried them or seen anyone try them so don't know much besides what's online). Anyway, they seem to have 2 series (cheaper ones and a more expensive one) cheaper ones seem generic and quite similar to the medlite ones to be honest (but again, don't take my word for it). I sent them an email asking for student discounts and they offered $799 for the more expensive range and $199 for the cheaper range.

Big difference really, so Im not keen on flipping a coin and seeing my luck! SO, anyone here tried them or heard of them? reviews? how they compare? I'm leaning towards the $799 ones ... what do you guys think??

here's the site: www.grcdental.com

what do you think? try something new or stick to the generics that everyone has?

would you spend more than $500 on your first set of loupes?

jakey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
If you're not sure what you want to get, I think its a good idea to get a cheaper pair of loupes, and then upgrade to some better ones later. You'll always have that first pair as a backup, or could even sell it to someone with the same working distance.

I bought some rose-micros and used them for a year then recently bought a pair of 3.5 ef loupes from surgitel that I love. I'm glad I didn't drop $1000 on some 2.5's my first year, only to decide I'd want more magnification later (which I'd imagine eventually everyone will).

Havent heard of that other company you posted, though the cheaper line does look comparable to rosemicro/medlite. I dont think you could go wrong at $200. I wouldnt buy some $800 flip ups from an unknown company, especially when you will probably end up wanting more mag later. At that price you might as well get some TTL's from a well known company. The cheaper 2.5's are fine for starting out in my opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I'd go with a more well known loupes company. It will cost you a few more hundred dollars, but this is your eyes we're talking about. Poor made loupes can cause eye strain and stuff. Also, you risk having them fall apart as you stated, and then you'd feel you wasted that money. Go with something well known, and worst case scenario you get another pair later and use the initial ones as a backup pair when practicing. Or like some people do, they get 2 different magnifications so they can use different loupes for different procedures. Personally I went with Q-Optics 3.5X through the lens; I love their titanium sport frames, their service was fantastic, and their quality seems superb.

Feb 17, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Hey guys!

I'm looking into getting my first set of loupes and I wanted something that wasn't gonna break my wallet and also wasn't gonna fall apart on me half-way through a restoration. Heine seems to be the gold-standard from what I've read/heard. And down the opposite end are some cheaper loupes like "Medlite" etc ... Like i said, not too keen on going to either extremes so after some extensive/late-night googling I came across "GRC Dental"

there isn't much info on their website but they seem ok I suppose (haven't tried them or seen anyone try them so don't know much besides what's online). Anyway, they seem to have 2 series (cheaper ones and a more expensive one) cheaper ones seem generic and quite similar to the medlite ones to be honest (but again, don't take my word for it). I sent them an email asking for student discounts and they offered $799 for the more expensive range and $199 for the cheaper range.

Big difference really, so Im not keen on flipping a coin and seeing my luck! SO, anyone here tried them or heard of them? reviews? how they compare? I'm leaning towards the $799 ones ... what do you guys think??

here's the site: www.grcdental.com

what do you think? try something new or stick to the generics that everyone has?

would you spend more than $500 on your first set of loupes?
I spent $1500 on my first pair of loupes (DFV 3.5 efx) and I couldn't be happier with my choice. The companies will try to sell you a cheaper model with lower magnification not because they're looking out for your wallet, but because you'll soon realize that you want a higher mag and will have to purchase a whole nother pair of loupes. Standard sales tactic.

jakey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I spent $1500 on my first pair of loupes (DFV 3.5 efx) and I couldn't be happier with my choice. The companies will try to sell you a cheaper model with lower magnification not because they're looking out for your wallet, but because you'll soon realize that you want a higher mag and will have to purchase a whole nother pair of loupes. Standard sales tactic.

I'd definitely 2nd the getting higher magnification right off the bat. Get some nice 3.5 prismatic expanded field loupes from one of the big companies. You will adjust to them nearly as fast, and more magnification is very beneficial. 3.5 EF loupes you can still see the entire arch.

OP
J
Nov 8, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Thanks for the feedback guys! Really appreciate it!

But given my financial limits, i can't really afford to fork out $1,500 + on a new set of loupes, and I'm not keen on a second hand pair. So I've decided to order the $799 pair at 2.5x magnification. I know most of you are saying you're using more, but at our school, everyone has been advising us to get 2.5's and there's been no mention whatsoever of 3.0's let alone 3.5.

They said they're in the process of organising stock and expect delivery anywhere from 7 to 21 days which is ok for me at the moment. I paid by PayPal so I'm quite confident my money won't be "wasted" or "lost". I'd be happy to let everyone here know how he loupes are if they're interested! :)

still surprised people are getting 3.5's though, completely unheard of at our school!

hearseman82

7+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey what frame to have? I want these but dont know if the Buddy Holly frame is going to be as comfortable as others