anyone try www.accept.com?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

still hopeful

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used service from <a href="http://www.accepted.com" target="_blank">www.accepted.com</a> to help with their personal statements and essay writing? If yes, what was your experience working with them and who was your editor? I would greatly appreciate anyone's input.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it. I had a friend who had a rather dismal MCAT and thought by using them might be a good counter balance. Needless to say he didn't even get into his state school. Personally, I've been to their website and they claim all this success by posting testimonials but I think on balance they would have gotten in anyway.

I wouldn't waste the money. Just have your english/creative writing department critique it for you. That's what I did.

and they charge $150 an hour. I ma jsut paying someone from school to do it for $10, What's a deal!

Members don't see this ad :)
If your a really bad writer, and don't have anyone else that is willing to completely re-vamp your personal statement, I don't see anything wrong with paying someone 150 (cost of MCAT fee) to make sure your personal statement is on par with the rest of your application. I would definitely go to their site and at least use their tips and read their sample essays though. And get a lot of people to read your personal statement for you (professors, friends, etc); make sure that they are honest with you when giving you feedback too. While your personal statement won't make up for the rest of your application, it will help your app stand out if it's good and it's a small price to pay if that's the only thing holding you back from getting into the best school possible. Just my opinion. In order of importance, IMO, at most schools, MCAT&gt; GPA&gt; interview&gt; ECs&gt; Personal statement/application.

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you know if most reapplicants rewrite their personal statement or only make minor changes to it? I don't have many new experiences since my last application so I'm relunctant to completely rewrite my essay. Plus, I really liked what I wrote last time.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Olanzapine:
• In order of importance, IMO, at most schools, MCAT&gt; GPA&gt; interview&gt; ECs&gt; Personal statement/application.•••••don't forget that the personal statement and secondary applications are part of what get you in to the interview! Plus, and I cannot stress this enough (you probably know already), get all your applications (primary and secondary) in as early as possible. Aside from improving my MCAT scores, that is really the only thing I did differently the second time I applied, and it paid off in spades! Find someone you TRUST to give you a really thorough critic of your statement. You won't regret it.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by still hopeful:
•Thanks for the suggestions. Do you know if most reapplicants rewrite their personal statement or only make minor changes to it? I don't have many new experiences since my last application so I'm relunctant to completely rewrite my essay. Plus, I really liked what I wrote last time.•••••If you are re-applying to the same schools, you will need to change your essay and add some new experiences. If you are applying to different schools, I don't think you need to change anything (could be wrong though). And yes, applying early is like adding points to your MCAT/GPA.

Oh really Mr. Foote. So what your saying is that a good PS has no effect if certain other aspects of the application aren't competitive but if they ARE competitive then the PS does have an effect :confused: :confused:

C'mon now. Who's to say that someone with competitive numbers and an average PS(not a bad one )would have gotten into their top choice anyway. See that's what I mean, there's no way to qualify your service.

Logical conclusion: By virtue of HAVING competitive numbers indicates that a PS written on one's own would suffice as long as they have it critiqued by profs, school writing depts etc. But those lacking the competitive numbers wouldn't gain anything. They would only lose a bunch of money.

By the way, if I remember correctly, my friend forked out about $700 before it was all over. The initial costs only cover like one edit. Don't expect to continue coming back after a rewrite for $150.

i would have to agree that she short her service in the foot with that statement; it didn't make much sense. it seems like a place like sdn (free) is a much more knowledgeable collective than some "medical school application service". this usually isn't the case, but it would almost be foolish to "fork over 700". but to each her own.
-jot