Anyone trying to get the Airforce scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crownapple

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to hear what everyone thought about the airforce scholarship for dental school. 1,2,3,4 years paid for 1,2,3,4 years of service. No reserves required after that. Anyone in or taking this route?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure makes a lot of sense if you're going to UOP. Be out of school and paid off in six years with money in your pocket......sounds pretty good. However, if you're going to a less expensive school like UNC or Buffalo, you're going to leave after four years with less debt, then spend four years in the military instead of three, only to find out that you have just as hard of a time getting a practice started. So why slave away for an addtional four years at low pay to just get a few more measily dollars. Its definitely a case by case deal, if you ask me. Some schools are just going to rake you over the coals financially (ie Case), and so maybe that warrants the scholarship route.

Mind you, this post is not for people with well-off parents who want to and can afford to fit the bill. This is for poor bast@#ds such as myself that don't have a spouse that may hate military life, etc.

To each his/her own, I guess....

crownapple said:
Just wanted to hear what everyone thought about the airforce scholarship for dental school. 1,2,3,4 years paid for 1,2,3,4 years of service. No reserves required after that. Anyone in or taking this route?

No IRR required after 4 years of active duty in the AF? I believe the other branches require IRR. Not sure how many years. Even though you're innactive, they can still call you up. I don't mind putting in my 4 years of active duty but I don't want to worry about an additional 4 years of potential service.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have a link to the Air Force program?

crownapple said:
Who told you that there is not 4 years of IRR after 4 years of active duty. I am almost postive that you are put on reserve after your 4 years are up. Did a recruiter tell you this or did you find it on a website?

The recruiter I spoke with said it's 4 years inactive unless you've prior military service and have met the requirement already.

And yes, I've looked into the scholarship. If I get into dental school, I will also be applying. This is the first year they've offered the 4 year AF scholarship to 'regular' applicants. Previously they were only given to ROTC and USAFA applicants (1,2, & 3 year for regular folks).

It's a very nice program for those who are going to private schools. When all the $$ is totaled, will you make less than someone just taking the loans and working immediately? Probably...but I tend to go for security, rather than the risk. I've a wife and children to support and would like to not stay up late at night worrying about money while in school.

Tuition, books, tools, fees, and $1235/month stipend. 1 to 1 year service requirement. Also require that you apply to AEGD or other specialty training via the USAF. If you get the 'additional' training, then it adds to your time in service. The remainder of your service totals 8 (even if you only take 1 year scholarship).

If you plan to apply, make sure you're in good health (no asthma for instance), have nothing bad in your background checks (drugs, felonies), are within AF weight standards, and a dozen other qualifiers.

Good luck!

Do we get to fly fighter planes, F-22 Raptor, if we apply and succeed in getting an Airforce scholarship?
I would love to do so.

drengineer said:
Do we get to fly fighter planes, F-22 Raptor, if we apply and succeed in getting an Airforce scholarship?
I would love to do so.

Haha...NO (maybe in a simulator)! But you do get a chance to practice dentistry in places like Germany, Italy, Japan, GB, Korea etc.

Germany is the best place to be stationed-I was there for 2 years-so much fun, so much to do and great food.

drengineer said:
I would love to do so.
You do have the option in the army dental corps to participate in special soldier training (you are a soldier after all) which looks cool. I dont know about the air force. They prob do have some special training opportunities but nothing like piloting.

The recruiter i spoke with said no longer than 4 years requirement. I spoke with him on 11/5/05. I asked him that specially because I saw it mentioned here on a previous post. So how do you get 8 years total?

A recruiter told me no reserves after 4 years of service...Just get it in writing!

Just remember that there's a weight requirement. If you are a less than slim guy like me it's pretty tough to get in. I'm 5'7" and 220 so if I want to get in I'd have to be down to 180 I think. I tried to tell the recruiter over the phone that it's all muscle, but he didn't buy it. I think he heard my wife laughing in the background. Oh well, no love for the fatties.

Cooool!!! I only weigh 130 lbs! I'm in!!! See you all in Italy!

There is a large difference between "reserve duty" and "inactive reserve duty".

Reserve duty: 1/weekend a month, 2 week annual tour per year. You're attached to a military unit.

Inactive reserve: you have nothing to do with the military UNLESS the President or Secretary of Defense decide to reactivate you or your career field. This has been done to a very small number of specialized career fields for the Iraq war. This is not a common occurrence, however you'll see folks getting activated before you see a draft reinstated.

Your file gets sent to AF Personnel Center and remains on file for a period of time (usually until you meet a minimum of 8 total years of military service).

If you're at all concerned about it, I would call your recruiter and ask him specifically if there is an "inactive" requirement.

Be careful when dealing with any of the military services recruiters. A friend of mine is having serious problems with their recruiter's ability to be honest recently. Really is a shame too because they would really like to do the military thing. Oh well, remember "buyer beware"