anyone use a drg puretone cardiology stethoscope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monopolova

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard Doctor's Research Group makes a better cardiology stethoscope, and I can get it cheaper (by about 20 bucks or so) than a Littman. I am wondering, what's the deal with those soft diaphragms? Does it automatically come with a hard diaphragm that you replace or cover with the soft ones, or is it just only the soft stuff? Do you have to really replace the diaphragm every week? (I mean, jeeez, if that's true, then do you have to just keep on buying the freakin' diaphragms the rest of your life?) Also, as far as conversion of pediatric and adult diaphragms, is it replacement of the bell or diaphragm side when one wants to use a pediatric diaphragm? (Some scopes I've seen make you change from an adult bell to a pediatric diaphragm which makes absolutely no sense to me -- what if you want to examine a child with both the bell and diaphragm sides? Do you have to sit there and screw and unscrew everything?)

None of the websites answer these danged questions ... believe me, I've looked.

Thanks all!!! :thumbup: :D

Members don't see this ad.

I have a DRG Staff Cardio. There's no hard diaphragm option, although it has this internal diaphragm thing that's supposed to work together with the soft diaphragm, and it might work without the soft diaphragm (if you like I could confirm this). The soft diaphragms last longer than a week and you can clean them with alcohol like any scope (i assume the change weekly thing is mainly marketing). Still, they do wear out and in the long run will make the cost of the scope more than a Cardio III.

The pediatric diaphragm is just a small soft diaphragm placed over the bell. If you want bell and diapharagm for peds you'll have to get a peds scope. I have not heard of med students doing this so I assume not having a bell for peds is not an issue.

The best things about the DRG scope are the gel eartips. Very comfortable compared to any other steth. I don't know if it's possible to attach them to other brands' scopes. Also, the tubing is neoprene with some kind of metal spiral inside that cancels out noise from rubbing against the tube. (however, the thickness makes it somewhat bulkier than a littman, and a little less neckable)

Soundwise, I'd say it's a little bit louder and clearer than a Cardio III, but not dramatically so.