Anyone use TBR for verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yestomeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to hear from those of you who have or who use TBR for verbal (which I guess is CARS).

I don't really remember now, but I think I heard TBR wasn't as good as the other prep companies when it came to verbal - but wasn't sure if I remembered hearing that correctly or not.

Thanks for everyone's input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I tried it. Didn't like it. Stick with aamc material for cars. Tbr should be used for all other subjects though. Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
I used TBR Verbal for about a month and I thought it was terrible honestly. I now use TPRH and EK101 for timed practice and I would highly recommend getting those. I read the passages (without doing the problems) from TBR for extra practice when I have time. I think that the passages are still good, just the questions aren't so great.

TBR/Kaplan tend to have solid passages but iffy questions.

I personally felt TPRH was the closest representation to the MCAT. Not a fan of EK 101 although it is still great practice. It's more of a personal preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
TBR/Kaplan tend to have solid passages but iffy questions. It's more of a personal preference.

So, if one gets ahold of the Kaplan CARS book, don't use their strategy then?

I personally felt TPRH was the closest representation to the MCAT. Not a fan of EK 101 although it is still great practice. It's more of a personal preference.
Did you take the 2015 Mcat (i.e. the 2015 CARS is what you're saying TPRH being the closest representation of?)

For verbal I would use TPRH verbal workbook and old AAMC tests.
Did the 2015 TPRH verbal workbook change? I have the 2014 version.

I read the passages (without doing the problems) from TBR for extra practice when I have time.
Cool. So you might read a TBR passage or two just for practice (just to read, just to get the 'main point' or whatever). Or just to learn how to get the author's point of view. And then nothing else, right?

So, if one gets ahold of the Kaplan CARS book, don't use their strategy then?

Did you take the 2015 Mcat (i.e. the 2015 CARS is what you're saying TPRH being the closest representation of?)

Did the 2015 TPRH verbal workbook change? I have the 2014 version.

No but for the old MCAT, I took it a few times (voided it both times) and felt it was the most representative of how AAMC write passages/questions.