Anyone used a USAA financial planner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw they have the $1500 comprehensive financial plan. I was thinking it might be worth the investment to get a solid plan together before starting residency. Anyone have any experience with this service?

Members don't see this ad.

I have used USAA's financial planning services before. I was a little dissatisfied with their service as it began with me filling out a bunch of forms and then a month later I received my "plan" in the mail with pie charts and all the standard crap that I already knew. I had very specific questions I wanted answered and I had been waiting for a call from my planner. I was two months into the service by this point.

I called and cancelled the service telling them why. They were very understanding and refunded the two months I had already paid. USAA now offers single session financial planning where you can set up a phone meeting and discuss any topics you like for a flat fee per block of time. This is what I will use in the future to get advice on things I am unsure of or to bounce my current plan off of someone else who might be able to see or think of things I hadn't yet. Of course that may be rare now as I have a classmate, and very good friend, from USNA who is an MBA and CFP now so I typically bounce my ideas off of him.

My recommendation is to skip paying that $1500 at this time. Instead look at The White Coat Investor. This guy was an HPSP and active duty doc who is now on the civilian side. He posts on SDN, but I forget his handle here. You can actually forget about the "white coat" part as virtually all of his advice is sound for anyone investing. I had previously read several of the books he has mentioned, good and bad ones, and his basics are very good. On the left side of his blog are highlighted posts, but there is also a link at the time for First-Timers.

I actually disagree a bit with the order of his listing there, especially for you (assuming you did high school, college and med school back to back and are in your early 20s). I would read the Default Portfolio, Five Big Money Items You Should Do As A Resident, and the ones on insurance first.

He talks about houses in a lot of places and realize that for every one that thinks buying a bigger house for the tax deduction, there is someone who took a bath on a house.

Understand the basics of investing and retirement planning. You can do that for free with his blog. When you have questions about getting married/having kids and how much you should look to alter your disability/term life insurance/which 529 plan is best for the kids, etc then you might need a financial planner to help.

Last edited:
$1500 is a lot of money? Question I would have is how much assets and how complicated is your situation? At $100/hour that would be 15 hours of consultation. Maybe if you have rental property, lots of investments etc you need that much time. Wonder if it would be cheaper to hire someone you can sit down face-to-face with in your area and discuss things.

Members don't see this ad :)
They probably have a cheaper option, that's just the one a quick Google showed me. It includes a year of advice from the financial planner. More curious about the general quality of USAA planners.

I agree the $1500 is probably excessive for my needs. My situation isn't very complicated. I've got some savings and retirement accounts but really I just want to get a good game plan for the next few years together. I'll be dealing with a lot of new financial issues for the first time like buying a house (hopefully) and dealing with actual taxes and would like to sit down with someone who really knows what they're doing to make sure I'm on top of things.

Best plan would probably be to take a fraction of the money and sit down for an hour or two with a CFP and a CPA...

USAA does have cheaper options for scenarios you are talking about. Look them up on the website and give them a call.

They probably have a cheaper option, that's just the one a quick Google showed me. It includes a year of advice from the financial planner. More curious about the general quality of USAA planners.

I agree the $1500 is probably excessive for my needs. My situation isn't very complicated. I've got some savings and retirement accounts but really I just want to get a good game plan for the next few years together. I'll be dealing with a lot of new financial issues for the first time like buying a house (hopefully) and dealing with actual taxes and would like to sit down with someone who really knows what they're doing to make sure I'm on top of things.

Best plan would probably be to take a fraction of the money and sit down for an hour or two with a CFP and a CPA...

The real best plan is to spend that same couple of hours educating yourself. Its pretty simple at this point. Build a small emergency fund, max your Roth with Vanguard index funds, max your TSP if you can and go from there. No hurry to buy a house with the unpredictable nature of the .mil. If you do, you need to save a real downpayment first. Buy a tax prep program and do taxes yourself, there is no better way to learn.

Be a Boglehead and you'll do fine.

I love USAA. I do all of my banking and insurance with them, and I'm sure I always will. That said, at its heart, I think USAA is still an insurance company trying to be a bank and brokerage firm. I think they get as much business in the investment/financial planning arena as they do only because their members trust USAA and because they have such a great website that it's easy to just stick with USAA for simplicity's sake.

After finishing residency, I met with a non-USAA CFP who - for about half of what USAA charges - met with me in-person numerous times and put together a very comprehensive plan. He also showed me some numbers of how USAA investment tools aren't particularly competitive, which gets back to my point of them still being an insurance company.

I agree with those who said that - during residency - just max out your Roth IRA followed by TSP. Keep in mind that Roth TSP is supposed to be implemented by the end of this calendar year, so that may be a better option for many of us. Then, use online software for your taxes. During my last full tax year in residency, my wife ran an S-corporation, and I was still able to use Turbo Tax with only minor speed bumps.

I'm in the Guard so moving won't be as much of an issue. It will depend on the length of the program I end up matching into and the housing market in the area, but I think buying may be a reasonable choice.

Any benefit to TSP as a civilian resident? My understanding is there is no matching contribution for us so I figured I'd hope for a civilian 401k during residency with matching contributions and just go with a Roth IRA if there is no matching 401k offered.

colbgw02, how did you choose your CFP?

I'm in the Guard so moving won't be as much of an issue. It will depend on the length of the program I end up matching into and the housing market in the area, but I think buying may be a reasonable choice.

Any benefit to TSP as a civilian resident? My understanding is there is no matching contribution for us so I figured I'd hope for a civilian 401k during residency with matching contributions and just go with a Roth IRA if there is no matching 401k offered.

colbgw02, how did you choose your CFP?

If Roth TSP comes into existence, its obviously the right call. For TSP in general, I would use it before an unmatched 401k because the expenses are so obscenely low.