Anyone used First Aid Q&A for the USMLE Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bought the book in my eager MS-1 buy every book phase and I haven't picked it up until just now. It seems to have question that go along with every section int he First Aid book. Has anyone taken the time to do these questions? I know nothing can compare to UWorld (which I'm also using) but I was just wondering whether I should put it back on the shelf.

Members don't see this ad.

The questions are well written, but content and difficulty is limited to what can be found within the pages of First Aid, which is good and bad.

I'm going through the USMLERX and the FlashFact programs with my studies to get me really familiar with First Aid by board time. Going through just the pharm questions has been really helpful, definitely helping me kill my classes, but as to the rest I am unconvinced of their helpfulness.

Flashfacts is a great product, though, really cheap and forces me to go through material line by line and actively recall the little bits. Without using the program, skimming FA without focus is just too easy.

But if you already have the book, by all means go through it; quick and fast and the explanations are very clear.

The questions are basically from usmleRx - it's just not all the questions they have.

I think the book is OK. If your looking for a paper question source that is already divided into subjects (unlike kaplan), to review knowledge, then its pretty good. I do some subject based questions if I get some extra time during my subject based review.
Since I'm about a week from the test I either think the questions are stupid (i.e. too easy, duh, move on) or a good refresher (i.e. oh yea, i haven't reviewed that in a while, good to see it again.). They are not representative of the thinking style of UWorld, which apparently represents the actual thought required for the real test.
Considering you have plenty of time, FA Q book is a great way to solidify the information without twisting your brain around some 3-4 reasoning.