Anyone using Anki for GChem, OChem, QR???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hines1906

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow future dentists!

So recently switched to Anki to begin studying for the DAT. First off, what are your thoughts if you've used it? I WILL say that studying the cards daily has strengthened my biology tremendously (making notes from Cliff's AP Bio 3rd Edition).

BUT.....has anyone used Anki for QR or our favorite subjects in the world: G/Ochem? If so, how effective has it been? Thanks in advance! Happy studying!

Members don't see this ad.

What's anki?

https://ankiweb.net/

Easier for them to explain than myself, but think of it as electronic flashcards: either self generated or downloaded from others. If you want to KNOW the Krebs cycle for example....that system will annoy you until you have it mastered. Mentor recently put me on it. Effective thus far for biology but I need to know/see if anyone has effectively been able to use it for our good ol chem, PAT, QR, etc. Quietly popular, and if used effectively, you'll truly master some much needed material we need for the DAT (my opinion)

https://ankiweb.net/

Easier for them to explain than myself, but think of it as electronic flashcards: either self generated or downloaded from others. If you want to KNOW the Krebs cycle for example....that system will annoy you until you have it mastered. Mentor recently put me on it. Effective thus far for biology but I need to know/see if anyone has effectively been able to use it for our good ol chem, PAT, QR, etc. Quietly popular, and if used effectively, you'll truly master some much needed material we need for the DAT (my opinion)

Hey, I looked at the anki website and to me it seems very helpful as many of the notecards are made just for DAT material. So I signed up and am a member now but every time I click on a flash card to download it, it wouldn't let me open it. It keeps saying browse a program or save as a file. Either way It does not open any flash card. Do you know if I need to buy or download any specific program for this??
thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to download the anki software and run it from your desktop. After you've done that the flashcard packages will open in anki - you can also sync your progress with an online server from the main program, and after doing that you can review your cards on the anki website if you wish.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to download the anki software and run it from your desktop. After you've done that the flashcard packages will open in anki - you can also sync your progress with an online server from the main program, and after doing that you can review your cards on the anki website if you wish.

That plus you can sync it to android/iphone to review wherever you are. If you study a little everyday it will be VERY effective. There's quite a few dental/medical students I know that use it.

BUT...to the original question..if any of you try it out with Orgo or GC, PAT, or QR please let me know how it works for you!

I did with orgo and little bit of gen chem, mainly formulas and memorization stuff. For orgo I scanned the mini road maps, edited in paint where I could cut the "answer" to the reaction and uploaded both to the anki decks.

Reactions: 1 user