Anyone volunteer at a rural hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lil Bear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am going to be volunteering at a local hospital soon at my hometown before I can go back to school in the spring (out of state). I am wondering if people have much experience volunteering at a hospital that is not in a big city (town has about 40,000 people maybe) and if that experience would vary from a more busy hospital. I am also wondering which of these departments would be best to volunteer.

[ ] Med/Surg. Pediatrics
[ ] Information Desk/Lobby Greeter
[ ] Education
[ ] Gift Shop
[ ] Hospital Events
[ ] Surgery – Family Information Desk
[ ] Other work, please list ways you can help: _____________________________
[ ] Emergency Department
[ ] Clerical
[ ] Dietary
[ ] Patient/Item Transport

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

well i volunteered at several hospitals but none of them were rural so feel free to disregard this post

i would do Med/Surg. Pediatrics, emergency department or education

definitely not gift shop or dietary

well i volunteered at several hospitals but none of them were rural so feel free to disregard this post

i would do Med/Surg. Pediatrics, emergency department or education

definitely not gift shop or dietary
I was thinking the ED but I'm not sure how busy our ED is and if that would be a good or a bad thing

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking the ED but I'm not sure how busy our ED is and if that would be a good or a bad thing

Try to get some descriptions of the various jobs... because you might be pulling files in the ED.

From experience at an Urban hospital, Peds is the way to go.

So I am going to be volunteering at a local hospital soon at my hometown before I can go back to school in the spring (out of state). I am wondering if people have much experience volunteering at a hospital that is not in a big city (town has about 40,000 people maybe) and if that experience would vary from a more busy hospital. I am also wondering which of these departments would be best to volunteer.

[ ] Med/Surg. Pediatrics
[ ] Information Desk/Lobby Greeter
[ ] Education
[ ] Gift Shop
[ ] Hospital Events
[ ] Surgery – Family Information Desk
[ ] Other work, please list ways you can help: _____________________________
[ ] Emergency Department
[ ] Clerical
[ ] Dietary
[ ] Patient/Item Transport

Thanks
I have worked this summer in a rural hospital and have had a FABULOUS experience. No other premeds around that I have to elbow out of the way to get any action. In fact, I would say I have been pretty spoiled. I have been in the operating room predominately but also PACU (post op and pre op) and have had incredible patient interaction. That said, I say Med/Surg. Pediatrics. Good luck! (and be nice to the nurses! they can help you!)

This was posted in the ongoing opportunities section of the volunteer page of their website.

Medical/Surgical Pediatrics
To assist the Unit with day to day clerical tasks. Reports to Director of medical/Surgical
Pediatrics. General duties include filing, making copies, assembling packets and other clerical duties as assigned.

Emergency Room Liaison
To keep patients and their families informed about their wait, as well as work closely with Charge RN and Emergency Department staff to communicate patient concerns. To provide support and comfort to patients and families in crisis. To recognize escalating issues for patient and/or family members and request help, when appropriate.

I'm assuming the ED is the Emergency Room Liaison. It sounds like I won't get as much patient interaction as you had been describing to me.

This was posted in the ongoing opportunities section of the volunteer page of their website.

Medical/Surgical Pediatrics
To assist the Unit with day to day clerical tasks. Reports to Director of medical/Surgical
Pediatrics. General duties include filing, making copies, assembling packets and other clerical duties as assigned.

Emergency Room Liaison
To keep patients and their families informed about their wait, as well as work closely with Charge RN and Emergency Department staff to communicate patient concerns. To provide support and comfort to patients and families in crisis. To recognize escalating issues for patient and/or family members and request help, when appropriate.

I'm assuming the ED is the Emergency Room Liaison. It sounds like I won't get as much patient interaction as you had been describing to me.

Oh da-yum, your med surg sounds laaaame. ER Liason sounds way better. "If you can smell the patients, it's clinical experience." Maybe put in a request on your application for that job specifically?

I did ortho at a rural hospital. I liked it more because they werent packed with way too many volunteers

The Emergency Room Liaison sounds like it would be the best out of all the ones they provide. I'll try and communicate I would really like that one in the application, and hopefully because I'm at a smaller hospital I will be able to do it and get some good experiences.

Just quit my hospital ( rural) volunteering gig last week. Accumulated 50 hrs, I didn't see the benefit of continuing it and having 10,000 hrs of refilling water, supply box, and taking out the trash. Yeah it helps out the aids and nurses but I didn't learn anything.

The hospital I volunteered at had their volunteers doing the same thing in every dept. except for transport of course.

So right now I'm volunteering at the detox center inpatient taking vitals and passing out snacks. It's definitely much more interesting than the hospital. Plus I get a lot of experience as a CNA in critical care at the other hospital I work at.

Overall it depends on the hospital and what they let you do.

I volunteered in a small ED. 15 bed total, and it was a great experience. Since it was small I got to actually get to know the nurses, all of those that worked my shift new my name, and a bit about me. I got to see every interesting thing that came in, do hands on stuff, do CPR etc. Definitely recommend it.

If i were you i would definitely choose one of these volunteering areas;

Med/Surg. Pediatrics or Emergency Department:)