Anyone want to have a thread for bio questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fariba

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me start...

Which of these is responsible for our emotions - thalamus or hypothalamus?

I am getting conflicting results from various books but I am most certain that the thalamus is responsible, because of various lab tests that have proven when the thalamus is stimulated... emotions such as anger are increased in tested animals (Ex.cat)

However, Kaplan says it's the hypothalamus. I know Kaplan is not always correct... but haven't they updated this book like 10 times already? How are they still making mistakes like this?

I'm just confused...

Members don't see this ad.

Fariba said:
Let me start...

Which of these is responsible for our emotions - thalamus or hypothalamus?

I am getting conflicting results from various books but I am most certain that the thalamus is responsible, because of various lab tests that have proven when the thalamus is stimulated... emotions such as anger are increased in tested animals (Ex.cat)

However, Kaplan says it's the hypothalamus. I know Kaplan is not always correct... but haven't they updated this book like 10 times already? How are they still making mistakes like this?

I'm just confused...

Lesion or stimulation of the medial dorsal and anterior nuclei of the thalamus are associated with changes in emotional reactivity. However, the importance of these nuclei on the regulation of emotional behavior, is not due to the thalamus itself, but to the connections of these nuclei with other limbic system structures.
The hypothalamus is also believed to play a role in emotion. Specifically, its lateral parts seem to be involved with pleasure and rage, while the median part is like to be involved with aversion, displeasure and a tendency to uncontrollable and loud laughing. However, in general terms, the hypothalamus has more to do with the expression (symptomatic manifestations) of emotions than with the genesis of the affective states.
Amygdala which is a little almond shaped structure, deep inside the antero-inferior region of the temporal lobe, connects with the hippocampus, the septal nuclei, the prefrontal area and the medial dorsal nucleus of the thalamus. These connections make it possible for the amygdala to play its important role on the mediation and control of major affective activities like friendship, love and affection, on the expression of mood and, mainly, on fear, rage and aggression

that was a really interesting and thorough explanation
thank you so much! :thumbup:

Notoriousjae said:
Lesion or stimulation of the medial dorsal and anterior nuclei of the thalamus are associated with changes in emotional reactivity. However, the importance of these nuclei on the regulation of emotional behavior, is not due to the thalamus itself, but to the connections of these nuclei with other limbic system structures.
The hypothalamus is also believed to play a role in emotion. Specifically, its lateral parts seem to be involved with pleasure and rage, while the median part is like to be involved with aversion, displeasure and a tendency to uncontrollable and loud laughing. However, in general terms, the hypothalamus has more to do with the expression (symptomatic manifestations) of emotions than with the genesis of the affective states.
Amygdala which is a little almond shaped structure, deep inside the antero-inferior region of the temporal lobe, connects with the hippocampus, the septal nuclei, the prefrontal area and the medial dorsal nucleus of the thalamus. These connections make it possible for the amygdala to play its important role on the mediation and control of major affective activities like friendship, love and affection, on the expression of mood and, mainly, on fear, rage and aggression

Wow....I feel stupider now!!! :-D Thats impressive!
Scott

Members don't see this ad :)
scottyhoop said:
Wow....I feel stupider now!!! :-D Thats impressive!
Scott

I bet he studies more than 10 hours per day :laugh:
get a life!!! :smuggrin:
I like thread for joonkimdds than biology :love:

joonkimdds said:

He def. adds some fun to the board thats for sure!!! But it's all in good fun unlike someother recent posters!!!

Scott

scottyhoop said:
He def. adds some fun to the board thats for sure!!! But it's all in good fun unlike someother recent posters!!!

Scott

Someone compared me to William Hung from American Idol, who was it! :mad:

joonkimdds said:

joon kim is my role model. I have decided to follow in his footsteps. I too now am in search of a sexy ultrapretty girl and go to the gym 3 hours a day while spending more than 10 hours with my books. :smuggrin:

joonkimdds said:
Someone compared me to William Hung from American Idol, who was it! :mad:

how dare you compare william hung to our buddy joon here whoever you are. :mad: With Hung having better teeth there is no comparison, plus our buddy joon doesnt care much for the she bangs she bangs ricky martin song.

Notoriousjae said:
how dare you compare william hung to our buddy joon here whoever you are. :mad: With Hung having better teeth there is no comparison, plus our buddy joon doesnt care much for the she bangs she bangs ricky martin song.
uhm...I am sorry but I really care much for the she bangs she bangs cuz i wanna bang someone. :)

Bio thread is cool. I'm down :) I just always think of the thalamus to be the "switchboard" of the brain. Relays info etc...