Anyone want to speculate when secondaries will be mailed out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandflea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone--anyone have any ideas or any good guesses as to when schools will start to mail out secondaries? basically, i guess, my question hinges on when AMCAS will be able to start to submit data. my app has already been received but i'm wary of assuming that AMCAS will be able to go ahead with its July 15 target date for data submission.

also, how long will AMCAS take to verify grades? my impression was that it was much shorter with the new app (a week to two weeks) but i've also heard that it will still take the standard 6 weeks or so. calling AMCAS is no help because i get conflicting answers.

any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

any ideas, anyone? i'm just wondering what responses people have gotten from AMCAS or from other sources....

Let's say AMCAS keeps its promise of July 15th. I would assume that medical schools, even those that do not screen secondaries, need some processing time to get them sent out. As for those that do screen, I read the number "5 weeks" somewhere but that seems a little long to me. If you got your app in on like the first several days in June, I would venture the guess that secondaries will arrive any time between August 1st and mid September.

Members don't see this ad :)
see, that's about what i was thinking--sometime about august to september. but i just remember someone posting on here somewhere (i forget the thread) that they were told by a supervisor at AMCAS that it will only take 7-10 days to process. so assuming that AMCAS sticks to its July 15th date, we'll be getting secondaries by the end of the month.

so i guess the very earliest that we can expect secondaries is at the end of the month, and that's ONLY if everything goes right on AMCAS's end and ONLY if med schools resolve their own problems downloading applications.

thanks for the post!

I called AMCAS and talked to someone after a short 45 minute wait about this time frame. I am applying EDP to my state school and my school needs to have secondaries and letters in by September 1st. Well, i submitted last week and AMCAS says that it will take 6 WEEKS!!!! to process my application.

I asked about EDP and she told me "Well, you might not be able to apply EDP."

I was outraged to say the least so instead of yelling i just hung up after saying "thank you for your help.":

so................6 weeks, 10 days who the heck knows!!!!

later

12r34y, that's total BS that AMCAS wouldn't let you apply EDP simply because of AMCAS's crappy application. i can't believe they told you that! why should your decision to put one school above the rest be totally cancelled out because of AMCAS's own problems?!

i'm sure that med schools will go above and beyond to accommodate you because of the application problems. those aren't your fault so they shouldn't be held against you. i would think that even if your secondary, etc, doesn't get to that school by sept 1st, as long as you have marked 'edp' on the AMCAS app, i would think that you would get special consideration and they would rush a decision to you. i'm just speculating, but my impression is that med schools totally understand what kind of bind we're all in because they're in one themselves.

i wouldn't worry about it. but thanks for passing on the info that you were told it would take 6 weeks to process. how is this app supposed to be anymore convenient than the old one if it still takes as long to process?!

Thanks sandflea........i ended up calling my state school and they said that they are having problems receiving applications from AMCAS. they said that they would be very flexible on deadlines this year and not to worry. she took down my name, number and social because she is keeping a list of people who are applying EDP. Relieved to see that they are understanding of this whole fiasco!

later