anyone who got into medschool with 3.4 or less GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surag

kobayashi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you would be willing to let me and others know what schools you may have gotten into with a GPA of 3.4 or less. Please let me know if its a public school in your state. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone who got into Hopkins with sub 3.0. However, i believe this is a rare case.

im just wondering since i have a 3.33 and a 35 on my mcats...im a junior and hoping to get into somewhere. thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's harder to distinguish a lower GPA coming right out of undergrad, but it happens. You can definitely go somewhere. It depends on where you want to go and how your application stands out from others...

im just wondering since i have a 3.33 and a 35 on my mcats...im a junior and hoping to get into somewhere. thanks.

it also depends on your ECs, your essays, and your undergrad institution...
but you can look at my mdapps in my signature. i have a 3.4+ gpa now, but i can tell you that over the course of my junior year, i pulled my entire GPA up by around 0.3. my science gpa trend from freshman to senior year has been 2.5-2.9-3.8-4.0, with courses getting progressively harder. so take the numbers with a pinch of salt. i almost feel like my application process has been a miracle, but i've been told by deans of admissiosn that my essays have made a difference and though they're not listed, i have a LOT of ECs and many leadership positions that have taken up a lot of my time.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if you would be willing to let me and others know what schools you may have gotten into with a GPA of 3.4 or less. Please let me know if its a public school in your state. Thanks.

3.2 overall, 3.0 BCPM here. UT Houston/UTSA acceptances. Your MCAT is good, your GPA is a little shaky but I think the MCAT will compensate. If you are RELALY concerned, post bacc or SMP (although I doubt you have to go that road).

i just searched mdapplicants...there are tons of people who get accepted with less than 3.4 gpa, check it out :)

I got in with a cum. GPA slightly higher than a 3.4 and a sci. GPA lower than 3.4. I'm happy to say that it's possible.

incidentally, do you guys think out-of-staters have a shot at texas schools? do your stats have to be super good, or would the op's numbers work?

If you show an upward trend you should be fine.

You'll get in. Remember, the hard part is STAYING in.

Actually one of the hardest parts is getting in. Don't get me wrong, med school is a grind but schools will do their best to keep you in. They are not trying to weed out the people they already let in. Many schools will go as far as giving people tutors, remediation or even letting them repeat the year.

Very very few people actually fail out of med school. Most that don't finish end up quitting because they found out that medicine and med school was not what they were expecting.

And to those people with sub-3.4 GPAs who do not get in straight out of college, look at SMPs (special masters programs) for your year off. These are generally 1 year graduate-level programs where you take most of the first year medical curriculum. The AAMC website has a search engine to find programs near you (just search 'post-bac' on that site) or you can start a thread in the "post-bac' section of SDN and get some info from the people there.

Plenty of people get in every year sub 3.4. Plenty of people get in sub 3.0. Obviously your odds go down as your GPA falls, but your MCAT and strong EC's, combined with a strong junior/senior year, can put you in good position.

And I will co-sign what the previous poster stated. It is much more difficult to get into med school than to stay there. Once you're in, the school has invested way too much time and money in you for you to fail out. They'll do almost anything to keep your head above water.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sub 3.4 and I've had 8 interviews and 2 acceptances so far.

I'm also sub 3.4...~3.3 and got accepted to Louisville, I'm a TN resident, but grew up in Kentucky... Playing both sides :D What state are you from OP?

few clarifications....i wrote 35 but its 37...i dunno i got mixed up with GPA...im hoping for a 3.5 and i wrote 35 for mcats, anywho

Im from west virginia...not the best place for med schools but hey ill be happy anywhere...also i moved here only 4 years ago...would that hurt?

I'll be glad to go to any med school...so far my trend doesnt look too far up, its mostly the same. perhaps next semester ill work harder...its a matter of workign hard not my abilities...i did well on the mcats but im afraid that may not be enough. i've done 1 semester of research and plan on another next semester, plus 150 hours volunteering in pediatrics and ER and work experience(nothing fancy, just regular stuff, ill start that next semester as well as my tuition raise is now going to be a problem) also, im a pretty good writer...no awards or anything but I have a feeling that I can do well on my essays.
I got into med school at drexel right out of high school..it was their 7 year program, so the way i see it i dont want to spend another year waiting to go to med school after college. I gave that option up to go to a top school...now im struggling because of work ethics...i barely study etc, but im hopeful to change that this year and on. thanks for the help

I have a 3.36 cum GPA and 3.23 science GPA...I got accepted to St. Louis University!

the school i attend isnt top 10....its in the top 30 or so but still, its very well regarded in the sciences among academia.

I'm sub 3.4 and I've had 8 interviews and 2 acceptances so far.

wow how did you get an acceptance on the day of your interview?? did they go:

interviewer: do you have any more questions for me?
you: no. blah blah blah blah
int: alright. (extends hand). pleasure to meet you
you: and you.
int: congrats! you're accepted!!
you:... wowipee!!! woohoo!! i'm gonna be a doc!

wow congrats! :)

I have a 3.3 and am accepted to the University of Minnesota-TC, Texas A&M, and TCOM...and I received 16 interview invites...so yes it is possible

wow this is amazing.:)

3.2 overall, 3.0 BCPM here. UT Houston/UTSA acceptances. Your MCAT is good, your GPA is a little shaky but I think the MCAT will compensate. If you are RELALY concerned, post bacc or SMP (although I doubt you have to go that road).

I am in a very similar boat...I'll have about a 3.35 at the end of my junior year but show a strong upward trend. Plus my MCAT (as does yours), kicks ass. Post Bacc? If You still have credits remaining, use those to do well in instead of wasting a year doing a post-bacc. You'll be fine!

to kapil and boo ya....im glad too, i was worried at first. but i'd like to kno if you guys could say which state you're from so that i know if its an in state acceptance. Id like to kno what out of staters students can get into with these qualifications. thanks for all the help...to those with flaming posts, lets not go on with that...thanks.

anyone else with info regarding this topic?

anyone else with info regarding this topic?

Well, considering that the average for matriculants to allo schools nationally is about a 3.5, and we all know people who got in with higher than that, it should be obvious that almost as many people are getting in with slightly lower than that mark.:idea:

i wanna see some CA acceptances with these stats. not IN CA, per se, (that's pretty much impossible, barring some pretty compelling circumstances) but CA residents looking outside the state.

i'm sub 3.4 gpa and have had 6 interviews and 4 acceptances (mt.sinai, case western, upitt and tulane), no rejections yet.
however, because my gpa was weaker, i made sure that my extracurriculars were stellar and only asked for letters of recommendation from people who would insist that i was amazing, blah, blah, blah.
it's possible to get into a great school without a 4.0 gpa, don't get discouraged. schools look at not only numbers, but everything else you have done as well. :luck:

I really like this thread :D I"m 3.39, but I probably will have to apply again and get my mcat up from a P9 V11 B10, oh wells.

awesome guys, thanks for your posts..lets keep this thing allive though, it keeps dying off unless i post again and put it to the top...

im curious, upitt has avg gpa of 3.76 or so with avg mcat of 35, i've done fairly well on mcats but not so on gpa...still, do you guys think those gpas are fairly high? do they give consideration to the school you went or does it have to be Harvard or another top ten undergrad for that consideration? I'm also wondering how well essaays and LoRs can help out in admissions with a low gpa towards such schools. Im interested in Upitt, university of Rochester, Case, WVU, and other likewise schools havnt really decided yet

Whether your undergrad gets factored in various from school to school. Essays and LORs are damn important when your numbers are a little lower. Just apply REALLY early, as early as humanly possible (but not sacrificign quality) and u should be fine

I am also waiting for responses from Californians who got accepted out-of-state...

I got into UTSW with just above a 3.4, but they told me that they found me very interesting on paper outside of my grades too.

3.08 Overall GPA
3.46 BCPM GPA
35 (10V, 12PS, 13BS) MCAT

Pre req's done mostly after graduation with my BA and done at a Community College.

CA resident and accepted Allo to one out of state school with 3 other interview invites, with three out of the four invites being out of state. The acceptance was to an out of state public school. I obviously have some good EC's and achievements but my overall GPA before the CC was 2.93. It can be done. I think though that my non-trad resume is a huge strong suit in my case. I applied to quite a few schools and got a lot of secondary request love. Keep the faith.

Ain't that a Bich!

This is all very refreshing... :)

I have a 3.3 and am accepted to the University of Minnesota-TC, Texas A&M, and TCOM...and I received 16 interview invites...so yes it is possible

It's you again!!!!

You did HPA? When? I wonder who this is now!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown:

Hey calcox:

Congrats! amazing comeback. being in a similar sort of situatiuon and location, could you suggest some schools to apply to oe some specific strategies to devilop the other aspects of the appilication that might serve to provide a "strong suit" that your indicated. thanks.

p.s. If anonymity is a concern would you mind pm'ing me a few schools to try to get into.

Cali resident, small private undergrad in northern california
BCPM 2.85
overall 2.9
joined the army reserve in third year of undergrad and took two years off for training as a nurse in the army (figured I sucked as a med school applicant so far and decided I needed a change)
upward trend in my final year (4.0 for the classes that were included)
applied to a crapload of schools (don't remember how many, but it started off with 12 in state and went on from there)
interviews 6 (three in state-two were state schools)
acceptances 5 (grrr UCLA)
MD in 2006
It can be done, if there is something about your application that stands out. You also need good interview skills. The advice I got: don't dwell on the bad parts of your application-don't bring it up, have an answer if asked, and don't act all apologetic (this is why, I did this to fix it, and this is why it won't be a problem in the future). Good luck.

Whether your undergrad gets factored in various from school to school. Essays and LORs are damn important when your numbers are a little lower. Just apply REALLY early, as early as humanly possible (but not sacrificign quality) and u should be fine

what are your thoughts on going EDP? I was thinking of doing this for my state school, but could use some advice:)

Well I hear it hurts your application. If you end up not getting in it really delays the time until your app can be sent to the other schools.

Well I hear it hurts your application. If you end up not getting in it really delays the time until your app can be sent to the other schools.

ok, but in general - How much more likely would you be admitted if you did go EDP over a regular applicant, or did not?

- I have no problem just applying as soon as possible, ie the day they start taking apps.

Why not just do an MDapplicants search

wow how did you get an acceptance on the day of your interview?? did they go:

interviewer: do you have any more questions for me?
you: no. blah blah blah blah
int: alright. (extends hand). pleasure to meet you
you: and you.
int: congrats! you're accepted!!
you:... wowipee!!! woohoo!! i'm gonna be a doc!

wow congrats! :)

sorry, that should have been accepted 11/24. typo. i've made the change on my mdapps. that would have been pretty awesome though!

i dunno how accurate md applicants is...are they honest? ive seen some really weird stats so i thought to ignore it...anywho, what do u guys think of chances straight out of undergrad? i really dont want to spend extra time waiting to apply as i posted previously why...I appreciate all the input, its very refereshing. but again, i want to go to med school out of college, i guess that leaves me to apply anywhere and be happy just to get in? i really thought my MCATs would count for something....

its pretty cool though that a lot of people can get in with lower stats...anyway lets keep it coming

ok, but in general - How much more likely would you be admitted if you did go EDP over a regular applicant, or did not?

- I have no problem just applying as soon as possible, ie the day they start taking apps.

I am not sure about the odds, but if you apply EDP in say, june, here is how my university works.

Early decision interviews are conducted in September. Notifications of admission are sent by October 1

So as of october 1st if you just here you were not accepted, only then can you release your application to other schools, which is late in the game.**

**correct me if I am wrong here