Anyone who has been successful with Self-study plz help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not able to afford the expense of a review course. I am a very disciplined student, however. I am trying to figure out how to do this on my own. A few concerns I have are:

1) I took physics over 2 years agon and even though I was able to eek out A's in general chem....I'm not strong in chem.

2)How do I train myself for the the timed pressure and the computer interface on my own.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

For the love of God, use the search function! There are about a billion threads already HEAVILY discussed that will answer all these questions. On the first page of the forum even.

I wouldn't have taken an MCAT review course, even if it was free. I have always studied quicker and more effectively on my own.

I think it's important to review all the material once, and then to take a practice test - this will help you determine what your strengths and weaknesses are. Tailor the rest of your time to working on your weaknesses, and as well, on remaining consistent in your strengths.

As the previous poster suggested, there are lots of threads on this.

For the love of God, use the search function! There are about a billion threads already HEAVILY discussed that will answer all these questions. On the first page of the forum even.

For the love of god....The 1st amendment and the rules of this forum do not forbid me the right to be redundant in your eyes...get your own thread for all those who already know everything and are tired of the rest us.:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest that you buy the EK 6th edition complete package. It is fairly comprehensive with respect to chemisty. There is also the 1001 questions for each subject that you can buy so you can do those for your weaker subjects.
Although the questions are still on paper, the content can still be learned that way.

As for the preparation for the CBT, use the AAMC ones on e-mcat.com
Another thing that you might look into would be the Kaplan QBank. It isn't as much as the whole course but it is basically a bunch of passages with a computer interface.

I second Brett on this one. I did have the misfortune (in my case) of taking and driving to Kaplan course first time I took the CAT . I self-studied using EKs complete package and 1001 Question sets for Chemistry and Physics (my weak areas). As others have said there are some plans floating around. I suggest taking a look at the Table of Contents in EK books, seeing how many sections (some as low as 4 (orgo) and high as 9 (bio) and dividing it up into the weeks you have to study and stick to that plan) Work in some AAMC practice tests and you'll be set. Good luck

Its really not worth taking the Review course if you are disciplined in preparing. The advantage of self study is you do it according to your schedule and save a lot of money :love: .

I prefer this way, personally, I would take one topic at a time and make sure that I am good at it and take some practice questions in that topic. This way you can cover one topic at a time and be succesful.