Quantcast

Anyone who interviewed at Drew in March or April - Any News?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fizz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I was wondering if anyone who interviewed in March or April has gotten a response from Drew? Or if anyone who recently interviewed has any info : ) Thanks!

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Additional information posted in MCAT Discussions Forum: Information on the free MCAT Prep Course offered by Drew/UCLA.

Summer 2003 MCAT Preparation Workshop Series
Drew/UCLA Center of Excellence

The Center of Excellence offers two, eight-week workshop series in preparation of the April and August administration of the MCAT. Course materials for the two series complement each other. We are still admitting students for the summer course on a rolling basis until the class is filled.

Workshop participants work extensively in small groups on practice examinations published by the Association of American Medical Colleges. Test taking, study skills and problem solving are taught against the backdrop of the content in the two practice exams taken in each series. There is no cost for the course but those selected will be expected to apply the skills they learn in the sessions and actively contribute to the discussions.

Interested individuals must complete and submit applications (go to website for application link). Among the admission criteria is completion of science courses required for medical school and demonstration of efforts to serve medically underserved populations.

In the past workshop participants have been drawn from local schools including California State Universities at Los Angeles and Dominguez Hills, as well as Loyola Marymount, USC, Stanford and UCLA.

DATES: Saturday, June 14 - August 9, 2003, Saturdays
TIME: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
PLACE: Drew University of Medicine and Science, 1731 E 120th St Los Angeles, CA
INFO: Margaret Govea @ 323-563-4917 or [email protected]
Web: http://www.medsch.ucla.edu/coe/drewprograms.htm#prog6

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Staying positive as usual Fizz. Going on Week 7 and trying my best to keep on going. I hope that you have heard some positive news from Drew. Try to get your mind off of it for a while. Hopefully the wait won't be too long for any of us. Keep the forum informed of any new developments.

Fizz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi uclamendoza

I will definitely post if I hear anything! This is my last school to hear from after an interview : )!

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi fizz.

a friend of mine who has also interviewed at drew called me today because she got an email from dr. miller saying that the class was not full yet. that gives me more hope for some good news. just thought I would let you know of this important news.
good luck.

Nefertari

Undercover Premed
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of tomorrow, it'll be exactly 3 months for me. Unlike other schools where you can update them on your interest, Drew is tough b/c their office is so understaffed and swamped they can't offer much feedback/confirmation. Sometimes I wonder if my snail mail gets there.

Did someone mention that their meetings are on Weds? Well, since 5/15 is just next week, we'll all probably have to wait til the end of May for any word. Unfortunately, a lot of stellar apps apply to Drew as a 5th or lower choice, then withdraw once they get their acceptances from schools higher up on their list--so I think it's essential for Drew to see who accepts next week. I thought it was funny when Dr. Miller said, "You don't need to tell me that Drew is not among your top 3 choices."

Fizz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi uclamendoza -

Thanks for the info! I never received an email. Was it a general email or did she email him? It is wonderful to know that the class is not full!

Good luck Nefertari! I really hope that there is major movement due to May 15th!

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Fizz.

It was not a general email from Drew. My friend had emailed Dr. Miller and he responded back to her saying that the class is not full yet. Let's pray that there is some major movement soon. Also, good luck to Nefertari as well. Stay positive everyone!!!!

Have a good weekend......

calipaww

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys just wanted to let you know that i interviewed 2-25 and got my waitlist letter exactly 8 weeks later. so does anyone know if we can find out where we stand on the waitlist...?

Fizz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi calipaww -

I am not sure about the waitlist, but I wanted to say thanks for posting! We have been dying for info over here!

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning calipaww.....

With May 15th rolling around, Drew will figure out how many seats will be available as people are accepting and/or withdrawing offers of admission. I would think that you could email Dr. Miller about this once the May 15th deadline rolls around........just my two cents......hope that helps you out. Stay positive and focused.......good luck!!!

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanda Hall emailed me back and said that this was the last week of interviews at Drew. Also, she confirmed that the class is indeed, not full yet. Just wanted to pass on this important information to all of you waiting. Good luck everyone.

Fizz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I so wish I had gotten emails of other students on my interview day to see if they heard anything back. This is agonizing.

Members don't see this ad :)

litgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fizz,

My friend interviewed the same day as you and hasn't heard back either. They haven't lost your application.

I'm actually of the mindset that the longer they take the better it is since it might be because they are having UCLA look me over again for acceptance and I'm just really scared to get that thin little envlelope.

Good luck and I'll keep you guys updated with his status too. We're all in the same boat.
;)

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good point litgirl. I am thinking the same way. A friend of mine who also interviewed at Drew is also waiting for a decision, so we definitely are all in the same boat. Stay positive and thanks for posting on this thread. Good luck!!!

Fizz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey litgirl -

Thank you so much for updating me on someone who interviewed the same day. I am a non-traditional student and don't know a lot of other people who are applying this year, so these threads are great! What day did you interview?

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
bump.........may 15th has finally arrived...let's hope for some good news from drew!!!! good luck everyone!!!

Nefertari

Undercover Premed
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, many who were Wlisted last year and this year also waited 12 weeks for the decision. I'm trying to not hope too much. At least their waitlist has more movement than the UC's.

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i wish you luck nefertari......the waiting can be a lot to handle at times.....

Fizz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
11 weeks tomorrow! Hopefully there will be some movement in the next two weeks! Have a good weekend!

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Keep the faith fizz!!!! It has been 8 weeks for me now but I am waiting patiently for some good news without driving myself totally crazy. Enjoy the weekend and get your mind off of things. It will help keep you sane and relaxed. Good luck!!!!

:clap:

Fizz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
uclamendoza - I am NOT driving myself crazy and I thoroughly enjoyed partying last night, but I do like to check in with SDN! I am being as patient as I can!

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fizz,

Since it has been 11 weeks for you now, have you tried to email Dr. Miller just to inquire about your current status? I think it would be appropriate in your case because of the time from your interview at Drew.......hope that helps you out. Good luck.:laugh:

Fizz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks uclamendoza. I probably will email within the next two weeks. Good luck!

shadeeazz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused in this process....so the admissions committee at Drew looks over your file, makes the decision, then hands it to the UCLA committee so they can have a say also?????? What the hell? How long does it take for you to receive an answer after the interview? They say 6 weeks, but I'm sure most of you wait longer than that.

garnetgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that is how it goes. As I understand, though, the Drew people get most of the say on who gets accepted. Which is good for me since I already got a big fat reject from UCLA:(
Good luck everybody- I am waiting in agony every day for an envelope from them!!!

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi garnetgirl....sorry to hear about the UCLA rejection........hopefully you'll get some good news from Drew/UCLA!!!!!! Good luck and stay positive and I'll keep waiting along with you! :clap:

originallei

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is the reason why Drew takes a lot longer than other schools. Accepted students have to be approved by both Drew and UCLA, as stated by Dr. Miller on interview day. Plus, there's the fact that Drew is severly under-staffed (poor Wanda Hall). So all one can do is wait patientely and hope for the best. But, it seems that the longer the wait, maybe your application is being seriously considered for a spot. We can all hope and pray. :rolleyes: :love: :laugh: :clap:

originallei

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Has anyone who is waiting to hear back from Drew, gotten in elsewhere? :p

garnetgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys- thanks for the support uclamendoza!!
Just when I lost all hope of ever getting into med school, I got my first acceptance today to Albany Medical College- so I am pretty psyched that I won't have to take the MCAT over again. But if Drew comes through, I am for sure going there!! :clap: :clap:
I am sending you all good thoughts!!!

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:clap: Let me be the first one here to congraulate you garnetgirl!!! Congratulations on getting into Albany!!! It is great to hear that. Hopefully this is the first in a string of acceptances for you, especially from Drew! Keep up the good work........and most of all, stay positive.......:clap:

garnetgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
uclamendoza is the bomb- always so supportive! I totally agree. I sincerely hope that we are classmates at Drew as we interviewed together- I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of you. :clap: :clap:
Let's keep the hope alive!!!

Nefertari

Undercover Premed
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
garnetgirl,

Congrats on your acceptance! When I was reading the posts in this thread backwards, I thought you just heard from Drew this week and my heart was pounding for a moment. Hopefully we'll hear in the next 2 weeks.

From reading through Drew posts last year, it seemed as though there was a mass mailing @ 5/21, which is tomorrow! If anyone hears anything, please let us know. Thanks!

Fizz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations garnetgirl!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:laugh: Thanks slickness and garnetgirl for the very nice comments. They are really nice to hear. I guess I am staying positive because that?s what I do. I am in the same boat as all of you?.waiting for something positive from Drew/UCLA. It would be great if all of us got an acceptance and were all a part of the Class of 2007. I?m just hoping for some good news as everyone else and besides, some of us will be classmates and professionals soon, so I would rather associate with cool ass people than some jerks. I hope that Nefertari is right about the mass mailings??maybe they?ll follow the same schedule as last year?..We can all hope and pray??I was also looking for information on waitlist movement from last year and the only thing I found on SDN was someone who got in from the Drew waitlist around mid-June?so for those wait-listed, I hope that helps you out. Also, I am hoping that things start picking up at Drew since they are done interviewing for this application cycle. In the meantime, I have just been re-reading the information that was sent in our secondary applications and interview information. For all those people inquiring about their status, it says that you can also email Darice Anderson (administrative assistant) at: [email protected] That may help out since Wanda Hall is so busy and swamped with work. So hopefully we can find out what?s going on. Good luck to everyone and stay positive about things. :laugh:

garnetgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys- I am really excited about getting in at Albany

I I hope you're right about the mass mailing today, I think I will stand by my mailbox for the next week.
Uclamendoza- have you asked for a status update yet? or do you think it is too soon. I feel really bad making Wanda Hall do anymore work since she is so swamped, so maybe I will use that other email you provided....
Good luck guys!!!

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea: I haven't emailed yet but will do so this week. It has been 9 weeks so I don't think it is too soon....as long as you are polite and not rude, I do not see it being a problem. It may take a while to get a response back but hopefully we'll get some good news soon garnetgirl. I hope this helps you out! Good luck. :clap:

shadeeazz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that are still waiting for Drew, what are your plans if you already got in somewhere else? I don't know if I should start finding an apt over the east coast and start packing, or wait last minute just in case Drew calls.

Garnetgirl: We're classmates for Albany, but I'm hoping both of us will end up at Drew.

Fizz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
shadeeazze - I am totally in the same boat. I am waiting from Drew but am planning a move to New York and am not sure what to do for my lease and things like that! Hopefully, we will all end up at Drew! : )

garnetgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the same situation- whatup fellow Albany-er Shadeeazz!!!! I am glad I met someone who is possibly going over there!! :D
Do you guys know when Albany starts? I am going to call after I get off the internet so if you guys don't know I will post tomorrow...But I think I will start looking for a place in late July maybe? We should have heard from Drew by June I think, and unless it's waitlist, we should be able to start making plans- hopefully to pack up our stuff and head to LA!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy Memorial Day Weekend to everyone out there waiting to hear back from Drew. Hopefully after the break, there will be some great news for all of us!!! Stay positive and have a fun time over the holiday weekend.........:clap: :clap: :clap:

Nefertari

Undercover Premed
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a big manila envelope from the UCLA post-bacc program today, and it made me freak out!!! :mad: :mad: (so sadistic of them!)

It's been exactly 14 WEEKS post-interview for me, and I've had horrible insomnia for the last 2 nights!!! At this point, I just want to know, even if it's a rejection, so that I can get out of this waiting room! Are there any SDNers who interviewed on Feb 8? (I really regret that I didn't ask folks in my group for their phone #)

Has anyone gotten any info recently from Dr. Miller or Wanda? Also, the last time anyone posted a Drew acceptance was in Feb or so. Anyone have word on how many acceptances so far?

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:( I am sorry to hear about that Nefertari. I have not heard anything since Drew and it is almost 9 weeks for myself. Hopefully your insomnia goes way and you are able to get a good night's sleep. Have you tried to contact Dr. Miller or Wanda yourself? 14 weeks seems like you are entitled to getting some type of status update, at least, to give you some peace of mind. I hope that you get something good from Drew soon. Stay positive and try to relax over the holiday weekend.......I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!! :clap:

Nefertari

Undercover Premed
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
uclamendoza,

You're such a good sport @ the wait. The only response I've gotten from emailing both of them is "Please wait for the mailing." Hope they haven't sent anything that hasn't made its way to my mailbox. Gotta decide soon whether to reapply.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
wow... looks like the uc's have done it again! sorry about the wait you guys. i know how much it sucks :(.

UCSBMed1

SoCal Hater
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wish everyone in this thread the best of luck! I know how horrible this waiting game can be (waiting on UCSF and UC Davis myself) and I can totally feel your pain.

I hope you guys hear some news soon. It seems like A LOT of movement at all schools should be occuring in the next couple of weeks. We're almost into June, so hopefully the wait will end for us!

Again, best of luck to all of you, and I hope I can be one of the first people to congratulate all of you!

uclamendoza

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:eek: I understand your pain Nefertari and I sincerely hope that you will not have to reapply again. Sorry that you haven't gotten any word back from Drew. Since May 15th passed, I would think that they are going to be sending out acceptances soon (at least, I can hope!). Hang in there and hopefully the wait will yield all of us some positive and welcome news.
:confused: In tems of your insomnia, have you tried a nice, warm bath and/or some warm milk? I hope that you get a good night's sleep......keep the faith alive and get some fresh air and relax......I know you deserve it! :clap: :clap: :clap: Good night!!!