1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

anyone who knows a lot about columbia

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by al, Feb 7, 2002.

1. al

al Member

I recently was accepted at Columbia. From my interview/tour, they are known to be a "specialty" school because of their high turnout of students (well above the average) who get matched into specialties--supposedly due to Columbia's med/dental integrated curriculum ,thus superb preparation for the NBpart 1 (I hear that Columbia students tend to score really high). In fact I hear that most Columbia students end up specializing. Are these claims accurate?

Also, I hear that typically, you have to be in the top 10 percent of your class to specialize. Does this mean that at Columbia, chances of matching into a specialty will be much better?

How do schools like UCLA, USC, UCSF, UOP, UMICH, UPITT fare in placing students into specialties? Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Vandymac

Vandymac Member

Al,
    When did you interview and how long after did you get your acceptance? I'm still waiting to hear and am getting a little worried. Let me know. Thanks!

4. Vandymac

Vandymac Member

Al,
    From the interview and talking with people, I think their claims of preparing for specialties is very accurate. I believe their boards last year was like top 3 if i'm not mistaken. They are heavily biologically oriented the first two years and the students say it's very tough. They say you will really know your stuff very well, just don't expect a very good clinical experience. That's why many go to GPR after they graduate and then apply for a specialty to get a better clinical experience. Hope this helps!!

5. wingy

wingy Member

what up vandy

well, I when I interviewed, they informed all of us that we would be notified no matter the decision, two weeks later. Thus if you got in, waitlisted, rejected, they should've told you via mail two weeks later. I interviewed Jan 3 friday, and received myacceptance on the 19th saturday, so they were pretty on the ball. If its been longer than that for you , I suggest calling the office and inquiring. oh yeah, thanks for the columbia info

6. Vandymac

Vandymac Member

Hey wingy,
    Yes I haven't even heard a denial. I interviewed on the Jan 17, so maybe it's in the mail and takes a little longer to get to Nashville. But I'll wait until Wed and then I guess I will call just to be sure. No problem about the help, just hope we can be classmates next year! Take care and let me know if you have any other questions.