Anyone who used accomodations on USMLE and is in residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timhost

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

timhost said:
I am wondering if there is anyone who has used accomodations on USMLE 1or 2 and can comment on any issues they had when applying to residencies because of it?

Did you feel that you were less competitive because of it? Did they specifically ask about the accomodations or anything related?
Thanks in advance for any comments on personal experiences.

TIM

I do know of others who used accommodations from the MCAT to the USMLE Step 2. One of them got into PM&R at the University of Washington. Others, also have gotten residency. I read somewhere that one person who also received accommodations on both of his Steps got into emergency medicine at UPenn. I don't think it makes you less competitive if you play your cards right. I have mental illness and was asked about my illness. I went on and on about it trying to tell the residency interviewers about how I successfully managed my illness while going to medical school. But, in hindsight, all residency committees are looking for is1) Can you do the work? 2) Will you fit into their program? 3) Are you competent enough to finish the program and pass your exams?

So, go figure. If they start asking about the challenges in your life,Don't bring up your learning disability. You have to always accentuate the positive like I find it challenging to work with people who are not teamplayers. I'ma teamplayer, yada yada yada. If they do bring up your L.D. just say that you have done well despite of it and have proved that it does not interfere with your work. Period. You don't have to go any further in your explanations. I think if you can shed positive light on all of your weaknesses you will be just fine. Think positive. Talk positively. and Be positive.

Enough said, Gotta go!

psychedoc2b

I'm back, if you have any more questions, please ask.