Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Anyone Willing to Edit Young Pre-Med's College Application Essay?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by astrife, Nov 27, 2005.

1. astrife

astrife Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well I am applying to Notre Dame, and I am wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on the essay I wrote for my application. I would be very appreciative of anyone who would... thanks guys...

2. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Wait, this is for an undergrad application?

3. astrife

astrife Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  4. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ask around on collegeconfidential boards.

5. astrife

astrife Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I do... but I dunno... just kinda paranoid someone else applying will rip my essay... kinda scary prospect...

6. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    true...
    You may not get a lot of help around here at this time. Finals are right around the corner.

7. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Not to mention that a lot of us just plain don't care about your undergraduate admissions process. Come back when you're ready to apply to medical school.

8. astrife

astrife Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey I'm getting there... this is a necessary step I have to take to get where you are at... if you don't want to help me that's fine... but I'd rather not deal with flames just b/c I'm young in this whole process...

9. DropkickMurphy

Removed

Well seeing as you've had one of the most respected members of this forum (Brett) tell you to go elsewhere, and no one has come forward to offer assistance to your multiple posts on this topic, what do you think the logical assumption is going to be?

The lack of concern on our parts is not because of your age or inexperience, but rather because you're asking at the wrong forums for the type of request you have. It's kind of like my going to the Bigfoot discussion forums (and yes, there is such a thing, I stumbled across it once while searching for something else) and looking for someone to help review my med school personal statement.

10. SearsTower

SearsTower Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
  11. unfrozencaveman

unfrozencaveman not a dude
    7+ Year Member

This is the wrong place for this, but as it happens, I'm doing my brother's right now, so why the hell not. Send it along, I'll give you some general comments.

12. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Geez, why is everybody being so mean to this guy? I mean, he's so young, not even competition for us. :smuggrin:

Seriously though, I would be happy to read your statement astrife. You can PM me if you'd like.

13. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Frankly, I don't know how you can screw up a college admissions essay. I literally submitted one about an acid trip and still got into U. of Chicago, Wash. U, etc....
    Good luck.

14. DropkickMurphy

Removed

Now, that I'd like to read.....

15. potato51

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think back in the day U. of Chicago had interesting essays. One of mine was about making the ideal sandwich.

16. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

So, I feel comfortable hijacking this thread now. What's all y'all avatars about? potato, I know what yours is about - and it's hilarious - but what about everyone else?

17. unfrozencaveman

7+ Year Member

The one I wrote for UChicago was insane. You had to include all of these random things, so mine was about a curling championship that involved a trophy made out of a spork.

18. unfrozencaveman

7+ Year Member

And honestly, it's pretty easy to do. I think reading personal statements must be pretty hilarious, but reading college admissions essays must be ridiculous.

19. rosenblum

rosenblum Membership Revoked
    Removed

Wow, we've got some serious ass-kissing going on here.

astrife, i'll have a look at your esssay if you like.

20. excalibur

excalibur Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    astrife, I thought you wanted to go to Johns Hopkins. Is ND just a backup? Do you send the same essay to all the schools?

Plus have you reconsidered the whole studying 3 years for the MCAT idea? I sure hope you don't do that.

Astrife, the reason you get so many harsh responses is b/c many people think you're jumping the gun. Ambition is a good thing. However, it doesn't seem reasonable for a senior in high school to be thinking about preparing for the MCAT at that time. That really can only make sense for people who have taken the MCAT already. These people know that it's silly to study for the MCAT before even getting into college. That's not a slight to you, and it's not a remark indicating you're a loser/dork/nerd/gunner. It just isn't reasonable, beneficial, or feasible to start studying for the MCAT b/f you've had the undergraduate classes.

Lastly, astrife, most people don't feel settled in as a doctor until they are finished with their residency. So in your case that's 12.5 years from now or 15.5 years if you do a surgical residency. The road up until then is a day by day mountain climb. I'm sure you know all this, but people here may think that b/c you're so eager so soon that you might burn out early on. It seems lately from your posts that you're concentrating more on college and working on extra curriculars, which is great b/c honestly that's all you can do at this point in your young career.

21. robotsonic

robotsonic Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey astrife, I told you before that I like reading these things.
    I was actually wondering what happened with your JHU application and which essay you ended up sending.

Anyway, if you want me to read this one, you know where to send it.

22. robotsonic

robotsonic Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh yeah, and to the others who are slamming this guy: It's a compliment that he is posting here. He isn't posting on bigfootdiscussion.com (or whatever it is) because he doesn't care for their opinions as much as ours. That's flattering, no? So why not help him out? Sure, he might not go into medicine in the end. So what? He's being polite and asking for help. If you want to help, then help, and if not, then keep your mouth shut :)

And desiredusername, maybe you could post that acid trip admission essay :thumbup:

23. astrife

astrife Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Haha...

Wel I'm starting all my secondary schools apps... I can't really call them backups b/c they are hard to get into too... I find out on December 15 if I get into JHU or I get deferred to the RD pool... so I'm just working on the legwork for my other apps in case I don't get in...

And about the MCAT prep... as soon as I figure out what college I'm getting into and high school studies become not so important I'm going to buy a kaplan book or something and start reviewing material... I might be jumping the gun... but that's how I am...

thanks again everyone...

24. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Ha ha, no. That was like 8 years ago... I don't have it anymore. I think the essay prompt was to describe our neighbourhood. I wrote about the little green men on everyone's walls. But mine were special and they danced for my entertainment. It was pure gold.
    As for why we are picking on him: That's just my problem and I've avoided goading/dealing with him...

25. tkdusb

tkdusb Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

26. SearsTower

SearsTower Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    astrife, no one in their right mind would want to rip off your essay.

27. Irish_Rain33

Irish_Rain33 New Member

Pre-Medical
    I know this is a SUPER late reply but I hope you got into your school(s). I was 16 going into college and I will tell you I got the whole "you are too young, etc" speech. I am an English Major, and highly non-traditional about my route. Walk your own way--and do it with pride, if they can't handle the younger competition well..then they just aren't ready for the challanges!

I'm now an 18 year old sophmore in college, and will be applying to medical school at the age of 20--so it is NEVER too early to start thinking about medical school stuff. But you might be better off buying a medical school list book instead of MCAT because without taking the classes you can't really understand the material you can only memorize it.

(plus you are welcome to send your essay to me to edit if you still need that done ..which you probably don't)

Best of Luck
    Irish