Anyone willing to send me a sample letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttpatel

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been recently put on the dreaded waitlist. I want to be as proactive and have decided to send a letter of intent, but I have no idea where to start. I have sent two update letters. I have been out of school for this past year, so there isn't much more I can update as far as grades or recommendation letters. I would really appreciate it if anyone could PM me a letter of intent that they have sent. Any advice is also very welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

ttpatel said:
I have been recently put on the dreaded waitlist. I want to be as proactive and have decided to send a letter of intent, but I have no idea where to start. I have sent two update letters. I have been out of school for this past year, so there isn't much more I can update as far as grades or recommendation letters. I would really appreciate it if anyone could PM me a letter of intent that they have sent. Any advice is also very welcome.
i think i pm'ed you one...let me know if it was a help :D

can someone send me one too please? thanks a lot! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like a sample one also. Thanks.

These letters are from your own creation. You have to explain your intent to go to their school and none other. Tell them why you want to go to their school, tell them you are patient and willing to wait, tell them what you will do to improve your application in the meantime, thank them for.... well... the hell they put you through.

- :thumbup:

DrB said:
These letters are from your own creation. You have to explain your intent to go to their school and none other. Tell them why you want to go to their school, tell them you are patient and willing to wait, tell them what you will do to improve your application in the meantime, thank them for.... well... the hell they put you through.

yeah but i just wanted to see the length/format of it. i'm a bit worried that the letter will seem a bit too kiss @ss. so i just wanted to see someone elses. thanks
:)

DrB said:

Good advice B

MechE said:
I'd like a sample one also. Thanks.
here is one you guys.... feel free to use however it will help. mine was sort of taylored to the fact that i went to this workshop thing...

XXXX East Hampton Ave, #XXX
Xxxx, Arizona XXXXX

8 February 2005

Admissions Committee
The University of Arizona
College of Medicine, Room 2209
P.O. Box 245075
Tucson, AZ 85724-5075

Dear Admissions,

Please accept this letter as a complement to my completed file. I would like to draw the committee’s attention to some of my accomplishments since last year’s application process. Furthermore, I hope this letter will express my sincere commitment to excellence in medical school as well as my future success in providing uncompromised patient care.
I had the pleasure of attending Dr. Leadem’s Reapplication Strategies workshop at Arizona State University in April of 2004. I attended this workshop with an open mind determined to improve upon my candidacy for U of A’s Medical School. Not only was Dr. Leadem’s presentation useful for improving my application, his suggestions have made me a more well-rounded individual.
I set immediate goals of improving my MCAT score, rewriting my personal statement, and furthering my academics with graduate level courses leading to a Masters degree that will benefit me in the real world of medicine. I am proud to say I have achieved all of these goals while working two jobs…healthcare of course!
After two very enjoyable interviews, I ask that you consider my exceptional work ethic and vast amounts of patient care above some of my weaknesses. I look forward to greater academic success when medical school is my only concern.

Respectfully, :smuggrin:

Xxxxxx X. Xxxxxxxxxx

Hey you took my letter!

How would someone go about talking about further volunteering experience she's had in a letter of intent? Does it have to be mentioned in the context of something gained from it, like communication skills or something like that, or can it just be mentioned? I'm just afraid of it sounding like I'm mentioning it/participated in it to get admitted to med school and only that. Will it be perceived that way?

I'd say use your imagination and put it in however you think it is going to work best. Really--you can do this.

I know that admissions people read this site (as an interviewer and admissions counselor at one school cited specific references), I don't know if it would look best to receive advice on here as to what you should write...and then it be something that they have already seen--especially if you just rip the info from here.

Just sit down and work on a letter for a good two hours or so. See what you come up with, have friends and family members read and edit it...and then work on it a bit more. Everyone on here has a college education and should be able to write a formal letter that is both contextually and grammatically appropriate.