Quantcast

Anyone wish they did not go into med school and if so what would you wished you did

Achieve USMLE Step PREP Success | Picmonic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2003
Messages
365
Reaction score
0
Anyone wish they did not go into med school and if so what would you wished you did instead. No trolls, just honest answers and dont be harsh on those who answer honestly. I ask this because I remember when I was interviewed for med school back in the days, I was interviewed by a diagnostic radiologist. He told me that after his last year of residency, him and his 4 friends graduating at the same hospital and they all asked each other sitting just conversating, if they will do it all over again, 100% of them said NO. Kind of suprised me.
 

AmoryBlaine

the last tycoon
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
May 1, 2006
Messages
2,179
Reaction score
26
The biggest question is if there is anything that ANYONE could say to keep you from going to medical school.

I honestly think that the AMA could release a statement approved by 90% of its members saying, "medicine is crap, do anything with your life other than this" and there would still be 30,000 premeds across the country convinced that a) it was going to be different for them and b) that they were going to change everything.

What can I say? Medicine gets into you blood. Also, the people that say they wouldn't do it again probably are the sort of people that also would say "what if?" for the rest of their lives if they had decided not to do medicine.

I wish I wasn't in medical school, I just want to be a doctor and they made you do this first.
 

Mperor

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 1, 2005
Messages
192
Reaction score
0
I think most of the people who regret doing medicine are the type who would always regret the decisions they made in life, regardless of what they are
 

RxnMan

Who, me? A doctor?
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
4,110
Reaction score
31
MD2b20004 said:
Anyone wish they did not go into med school and if so what would you wished you did instead. No trolls, just honest answers and dont be harsh on those who answer honestly. I ask this because I remember when I was interviewed for med school back in the days, I was interviewed by a diagnostic radiologist. He told me that after his last year of residency, him and his 4 friends graduating at the same hospital and they all asked each other sitting just conversating, if they will do it all over again, 100% of them said NO. Kind of suprised me.
I don't think I've met a PhD or MS candidate who would say that it was 'worth it' the day they defended. You're too close at that point, too fresh from the crap of jumping through hoops.
 

Mayhem

Scut Bear
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2006
Messages
331
Reaction score
4
There's only one time I can remember genuinely considering something else -- albeit not seriously -- and that's the day I had to shell out my life savings for braces. The man made $20,000 in the 30 minutes I was in his office and most of the work was done by his assistants. Even when you subtract all his costs he's still making more money in an hour than many people I know. And this man works from 8 to 4, no weekends. Granted, this was after I had been savaged by an OSPE, but it made me pause. In another life I might have done Orthodontics but here and now, Medicine is the only one for me.
 
S

scsucks

Mayhem said:
There's only one time I can remember genuinely considering something else -- albeit not seriously -- and that's the day I had to shell out my life savings for braces. The man made $20,000 in the 30 minutes I was in his office and most of the work was done by his assistants. Even when you subtract all his costs he's still making more money in an hour than many people I know. And this man works from 8 to 4, no weekends. Granted, this was after I had been savaged by an OSPE, but it made me pause. In another life I might have done Orthodontics but here and now, Medicine is the only one for me.

Well lets face it, we could look at a lot of things in medicine and dentistry and walk away shaking our heads about how much the doctor made compaired to what we think they deserve. What we are really paying for is not only the Dr.'s costs, but also the time, talent and hard work that it took to get there.

I went and visited the rheumatologist the other day. I know my signs, symptoms, and the tests that I wanted. I had the test results sent to me and before my next visit had narrowed the differential down to rhematoid arthritis. The interesting thing is that the rheumatologist basically just did what I told him to do. He ordered the tests that I asked for and I basically explained my differential to him and prescribed the Tx. He agreed and I walked out. So, did I get my money's worth? I felt fine about this because at the end of the day what I really wanted from him was to look at the same data and see if he would come to the same conclusions.

Funny thing is, even lawyers get lawyers to represent them when they are sued or taken to court.
 

DHMO

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2004
Messages
186
Reaction score
0
MD2b20004 said:
Anyone wish they did not go into med school and if so what would you wished you did instead. No trolls, just honest answers and dont be harsh on those who answer honestly. I ask this because I remember when I was interviewed for med school back in the days, I was interviewed by a diagnostic radiologist. He told me that after his last year of residency, him and his 4 friends graduating at the same hospital and they all asked each other sitting just conversating, if they will do it all over again, 100% of them said NO. Kind of suprised me.

If I had to start over from the beginning of med school I don't think I would do it again (and I'm only just finishing MSIII). That's not to say I regret my decision, but I think there are just too many hoops to jump through and if I had to repeat MSI-III I would elect to do something else with my life and not live under the poeverty line while my friends from college are pulling in 70k per year with constant raises.
 

chocomorsel

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
5,934
Reaction score
5,211
Mayhem said:
There's only one time I can remember genuinely considering something else -- albeit not seriously -- and that's the day I had to shell out my life savings for braces. The man made $20,000 in the 30 minutes I was in his office and most of the work was done by his assistants. Even when you subtract all his costs he's still making more money in an hour than many people I know. And this man works from 8 to 4, no weekends. Granted, this was after I had been savaged by an OSPE, but it made me pause. In another life I might have done Orthodontics but here and now, Medicine is the only one for me.

Good God, $20,000 for some braces!!!! Where there instant results with that? What the Heck, now I've heard of $10000 for the ones behind your teeth, but this has got to take the cake. Sounds like you bought a whole new set of teeth. Veneers maybe???
 

Mayhem

Scut Bear
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2006
Messages
331
Reaction score
4
chocomorsel said:
Good God, $20,000 for some braces!!!! Where there instant results with that? What the Heck, now I've heard of $10000 for the ones behind your teeth, but this has got to take the cake. Sounds like you bought a whole new set of teeth. Veneers maybe???

Oh God no! It was only like $5000 but what I meant was he did at least 4 people while I was there. He only placed the difficult brackets (about 4) then he had assistants place the rest and run the wires. I was just shocked at the type of money he made without really doing much.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'd pay it all again because that man knows his s**t. My smile is awesome. And after all the time he spent in school I'm sure he deserves it, but it really came home to me that what I was doing wasn't the easiest way to get rich...especially considering the residency years I have to look forward to. I guess I was just jealous. Still it wasn't enough to sway me. The money/lifestyle might be nice but I'm not sure I would be fulfilled in Orthodontics.
 

PreMedAdAG

I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 17, 2002
Messages
1,104
Reaction score
7
If i had to do it over again, I would be a housewife, have 3 children, be a soccer mom, a superb chef, the PTA president ... oh and by the way, look good while doing it.... oh wait... medicine hasn't gotten in the way of that stuff..... yet :p

I would do it over again, there's no other path for me, i get bored too easily
 

ORBITAL BEBOP

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
208
Reaction score
0
Pharmacy.. Short time to make money. Science still involved. Can work certain hours.

Dentistry...no residency..less competitive and less driven students when compared to med school..good looking students..regular hours..mucho dinero.
 

Callogician

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Messages
422
Reaction score
3
Medicine is too cool. If the US government socialized medicine, paid my loans, and put me on a 50K equivalent salary, I probably wouldn't complain.
 

NehsNairb

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
159
Reaction score
0
MD2b20004 said:
Anyone wish they did not go into med school and if so what would you wished you did instead. No trolls, just honest answers and dont be harsh on those who answer honestly. I ask this because I remember when I was interviewed for med school back in the days, I was interviewed by a diagnostic radiologist. He told me that after his last year of residency, him and his 4 friends graduating at the same hospital and they all asked each other sitting just conversating, if they will do it all over again, 100% of them said NO. Kind of suprised me.

I'm not in med school yet so don't hold me to anything I say but I don't think a radiologist's point of view speaks for all physicians. From what I've gathered, many people go into radiology because they hate patient care or interaction. A brother of a friend of mine who's going to be a fourth year says he hates med school and plans to be a radiologist. It didn't surprise me one bit since he never seemed to have a true desire to help people in the first place. Point is, if you don't find patient care rewarding by itself then it's probable that you'll regret becoming a doctor.
 

AmoryBlaine

the last tycoon
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
May 1, 2006
Messages
2,179
Reaction score
26
NehsNairb said:
I'm not in med school yet so don't hold me to anything I say but I don't think a radiologist's point of view speaks for all physicians. From what I've gathered, many people go into radiology because they hate patient care or interaction. A brother of a friend of mine who's going to be a fourth year says he hates med school and plans to be a radiologist. It didn't surprise me one bit since he never seemed to have a true desire to help people in the first place. Point is, if you don't find patient care rewarding by itself then it's probable that you'll regret becoming a doctor.

I don't think hatred of patient care or interaction is the biggest factor pushing people towards radiology, especially considering that alot of radiologists are interventional.

There is so much bullsh** that goes into dealing with other human beings, especially in the context of the dr/pt relationship. There is really very little profound or necessarily satisfying about talking to people about their longstanding hypertension or most other primary care oriented topics (and most people who graduate from medical school go into IM, FP, and peds - just look at the stats).

I try not to look down on people who decide they don't want to spend the rest of their lives being professional and caring to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who walks throught he door. It might be for some of us, it might not.

Besides, whatever field you go into I think you're going to be damned glad there are good "patient care hating" radiologists out there so that your malpractice premium isn't hanging on your ability to read a CT scan. I sure as hell will be.
 

NehsNairb

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
159
Reaction score
0
AmoryBlaine said:
I don't think hatred of patient care or interaction is the biggest factor pushing people towards radiology, especially considering that alot of radiologists are interventional.

There is so much bullsh** that goes into dealing with other human beings, especially in the context of the dr/pt relationship. There is really very little profound or necessarily satisfying about talking to people about their longstanding hypertension or most other primary care oriented topics (and most people who graduate from medical school go into IM, FP, and peds - just look at the stats).

I try not to look down on people who decide they don't want to spend the rest of their lives being professional and caring to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who walks throught he door. It might be for some of us, it might not.

Besides, whatever field you go into I think you're going to be damned glad there are good "patient care hating" radiologists out there so that your malpractice premium isn't hanging on your ability to read a CT scan. I sure as hell will be.

Sorry about sounding idealistic and naive in my previous post. I wasn't trying to attack radiologists. They have a necessary and equally important role in medicine as any other doctor. I also understand that the radiologist the OP mentioned was probably referring to many reasons as to why not to go into medicine(financial reimbursement, liability issues, lifestyle, etc). Or perhaps the interviewer just wanted to gauge the OP's response to his comment. Anyway, I'm just saying that I think radiologists are more likely to say they might have pursued a different career than another type of doctor in which case that radiologist's opinion isn't representative of the majority of doctors out there.

By the way, I do know that patient care sucks most of the time. I've seen plenty of unruly, annoying, ungrateful patients and people who probably wouldn't need healthcare if they just layed off the Big Mac. But I'm sure that there are some doctors who genuinely enjoy being of service to others.
 

Taurus

Paul Revere of Medicine
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
3,184
Reaction score
566
NehsNairb said:
Sorry about sounding idealistic and naive in my previous post. I wasn't trying to attack radiologists. They have a necessary and equally important role in medicine as any other doctor. I also understand that the radiologist the OP mentioned was probably referring to many reasons as to why not to go into medicine(financial reimbursement, liability issues, lifestyle, etc). Or perhaps the interviewer just wanted to gauge the OP's response to his comment. Anyway, I'm just saying that I think radiologists are more likely to say they might have pursued a different career than another type of doctor in which case that radiologist's opinion isn't representative of the majority of doctors out there.

By the way, I do know that patient care sucks most of the time. I've seen plenty of unruly, annoying, ungrateful patients and people who probably wouldn't need healthcare if they just layed off the Big Mac. But I'm sure that there are some doctors who genuinely enjoy being of service to others.

Until you've gone through it, you don't know what it's like. You can watch someone else do something a 1000 times, but until you actually do it yourself you don't quite know how you'll like it. :rolleyes: And there's not one thing you can say to a premed that will change their minds. I prefer to let them experience it for themselves.
 

NonTradMed

Perpetual Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2004
Messages
2,303
Reaction score
12
Well, I'm not in med school yet, so I could still lean to hate it. :D

However, I did work in the field of software engineering and I knew engineers in their late 20's, 30's and 40's, mentioned they would not go into the same field if they could make another choice. My parents, along with some of their friends, regret going into biology research. When I tell these people I was aiming for medicine, quite a few jumped at that and thought it was great, bemoaning how they should have done that when they were young. Regrets, regrets, everyone has regrets.....

I guess what I'm trying to say is that every field has their detractors. The only difference with medicine and other fields that require intensive training is that there's a 'golden handcuff' clause where the amount of debt is so high, the time sacrificed so much, that people feel 'chained' to their chosen career because they cannot make that much money and pay that much debt off in any other field unless they want to go through another several years of schooling. Think of how many education majors decide not to go into education, or engineers that end up in nonengineering fields. It's possible because there is lower opportunity cost there, however, medicine doesn't have that.
 

Paws

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2003
Messages
1,096
Reaction score
8
Yes, I often wonder if I am doing the right thing. There are times when I am depressed from too much studying and not enough (read: any) time with my friends, the pool, a neighbor's friendly dog, etc. I feel like [email protected] Or when there is some weirdness at school and I just think, why am I doing this? Isn't it supposed to get much, much worse in third year when some total nut of an attending will give me a poor eval even tho I never even met him/her? And my future is on the line? And I will be pimped and scutted within an inch of my life, my classmates will do anything to look better than me. Yep, I just love medicine.

It's easy to loose persepctive. I really do love it but sometimes the bs drags me down.

As for dentists, people!! let me tell you. The dental residents I know are looking at 1) NO CALL, 2) 35 hour work weeks, 3) NO MALPRACTICE, ok, but like $90 a year, and the kicker: 4) salaries of about $300,000 - 400,000.

:eek:
 

chocomorsel

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
5,934
Reaction score
5,211
Paws said:
Yes, I often wonder if I am doing the right thing. There are times when I am depressed from too much studying and not enough (read: any) time with my friends, the pool, a neighbor's friendly dog, etc. I feel like [email protected] Or when there is some weirdness at school and I just think, why am I doing this? Isn't it supposed to get much, much worse in third year when some total nut of an attending will give me a poor eval even tho I never even met him/her? And my future is on the line? And I will be pimped and scutted within an inch of my life, my classmates will do anything to look better than me. Yep, I just love medicine.

It's easy to loose persepctive. I really do love it but sometimes the bs drags me down.

As for dentists, people!! let me tell you. The dental residents I know are looking at 1) NO CALL, 2) 35 hour work weeks, 3) NO MALPRACTICE, ok, but like $90 a year, and the kicker: 4) salaries of about $300,000 - 400,000.

:eek:
That much money!!!!!! NO friggin' way. Maybe I am in the wrong field.
 

zbruinz

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2006
Messages
209
Reaction score
1
chocomorsel said:
That much money!!!!!! NO friggin' way. Maybe I am in the wrong field.

sure, why don't you become a banker then? Pull in millions! :D
 

Taurus

Paul Revere of Medicine
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
3,184
Reaction score
566
Paws said:
As for dentists, people!! let me tell you. The dental residents I know are looking at 1) NO CALL, 2) 35 hour work weeks, 3) NO MALPRACTICE, ok, but like $90 a year, and the kicker: 4) salaries of about $300,000 - 400,000.

:eek:

This is why I should have taken a harder look at dentistry when applying. Are these not the reasons why derm is so hard to get into?
 

QCkid

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2004
Messages
220
Reaction score
0
Paws said:
Yes, I often wonder if I am doing the right thing. There are times when I am depressed from too much studying and not enough (read: any) time with my friends, the pool, a neighbor's friendly dog, etc. I feel like [email protected] Or when there is some weirdness at school and I just think, why am I doing this? Isn't it supposed to get much, much worse in third year when some total nut of an attending will give me a poor eval even tho I never even met him/her? And my future is on the line? And I will be pimped and scutted within an inch of my life, my classmates will do anything to look better than me. Yep, I just love medicine.

It's easy to loose persepctive. I really do love it but sometimes the bs drags me down.

As for dentists, people!! let me tell you. The dental residents I know are looking at 1) NO CALL, 2) 35 hour work weeks, 3) NO MALPRACTICE, ok, but like $90 a year, and the kicker: 4) salaries of about $300,000 - 400,000.

:eek:

This isn't exactly true. Dental school is 4 yrs. of hell and then about 30% specialize and about 50% will do some sort of general residency. The other 20% try to make it on their own or as an associate. Out of the 30% who specialize only a couple of the specialties are 35 hours a week while making 300k to 400k(after residency). These specialties will be very competative and will be like derm, or radiology in medicine. Most residencies are much less taxing then medical residencies. You probably wont put in more then 60 hours in most of them (except for oral surgery), but their is no stipend and you still have to take out loans (except for oral surgery). After that, it will take a few years of building your practice to make good money but eventually most of these guys are working 3 or 4 days a week and making 300k to 400k.
 

StevenRF

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2005
Messages
475
Reaction score
3
Yea I really wish I could have been a socialite, but there are just so many barriers to entry in that field, so I said f' it and decided for medicine. Maybe one day...
 

Elysium

Not Really An Old Beaver
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2001
Messages
2,014
Reaction score
6
Asking pre-meds/first/second years if they would go to medical school again is probably not going to give you the kind of insight you want. To be fair, they really have no perspective on it since they haven't finished the process. It's like asking someone if they would enlist in the military again after boot camp or how applying to medical school is during freshman bio. You're on the right track, but are too deep into the here and now to look at the experience as a whole. I think the thread someone posted a link to in the general residency forum is much more enlightening and representitive of the whole picture than asking folks who are at the beginning of the process.

Your outlook is going to change from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to intern year, practice, etc.

This has been my observation, at least.
 

Arctic Char

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,061
Reaction score
6
i would want to be a helicopter pilot. you usually sleep in the same city (short distance flights), you get to operate a frigin awesome machine, you get to play in the sky, and since all the vietnam vets are retiring about now, its a great job market with great pay (80-120K).

but i know myself well enough to know that if i hadn't gone to med school, i would never feel totally comfortable with my career choice. i love medicine, plain and simple, and my self-esteem - little as i want to admit it - has been buoyied by coming to med school, performing well, and basically doing something i only dreamed about my whole life. i know i can be a competent doctor, and that is a great feeling.
 

Herman Bloom

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
81
Reaction score
1
I've always wanted to see some real, scientific data on this. Specifically, I wonder how man respondants who would say "I'd never do it again/I'd do something else" ever actually DID anything outside of medicine. My speculation is that there would be shown much less "discontent" among docs who had different careers before entering medicine, not only because of some extra perspective, but because these individuals might be more discriminating when it comes to choosing a specialty.

Thoughts? And don't say "do a google search, you lazy sack" because I am a lazy sack.
 

NonTradMed

Perpetual Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2004
Messages
2,303
Reaction score
12
Herman Bloom said:
I've always wanted to see some real, scientific data on this. Specifically, I wonder how man respondants who would say "I'd never do it again/I'd do something else" ever actually DID anything outside of medicine. My speculation is that there would be shown much less "discontent" among docs who had different careers before entering medicine, not only because of some extra perspective, but because these individuals might be more discriminating when it comes to choosing a specialty.

Thoughts? And don't say "do a google search, you lazy sack" because I am a lazy sack.
There was some discussion on this topic in the nontrad forum I believe. Since many in there had other careers before medicine, most felt people's complaints about medicine could be applicable to other fields as well. Grass is greener and all that. Also, the general consensus is that since many doctors went straight from college to med school to work without ever trying anything else, they probably don't know that other fields aren't always 'better' or that medicine isn't the only field that is suffering from poor working conditions.
 

chrisjohn

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2005
Messages
190
Reaction score
9
Herman Bloom said:
I've always wanted to see some real, scientific data on this. Specifically, I wonder how man respondants who would say "I'd never do it again/I'd do something else" ever actually DID anything outside of medicine. My speculation is that there would be shown much less "discontent" among docs who had different careers before entering medicine, not only because of some extra perspective, but because these individuals might be more discriminating when it comes to choosing a specialty.

Thoughts? And don't say "do a google search, you lazy sack" because I am a lazy sack.

Dude, you read my mind, then posted.

It's impossible to have much perspective if you've gone straight from HS, UG, and then medical school. Hang out for awhile at an entry level position and see how sweet it is. There are a couple of threads from non-trads detailing the sundry and lucrative careers they left, but I can tell you not everyone was a software engineer making 100K.

The grass always looks greener, and that’s the key, knowing that its not.
 

Herman Bloom

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
81
Reaction score
1
Several of the young ER docs I work with are going through the whole "medicine sucks...I should have been a _______" phase. And every time I mention that most jobs -- even those magical MBA Executive positions they seem to drool over -- have their share of misery/drudgery in them, they give me this dismissive look ("just wait man..."). Maybe. But I'm more inclined to think that these people don't have any frame of reference...at all. NONE of them ever had a real job outside of medicine. Think your lawyer friends have it any easier? Think again.
 

JohnnyOU

Slow like Honey
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Messages
1,471
Reaction score
1
My only regret so far is I wish I hadn't been a science major, but a piano major. That would've been so great, but too late. I'll settle for taking lessons one day though. :thumbup:

Johnny
 

dpgc21

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
54
Reaction score
3
I believe that if you are regretting going into medicine you have no experience. It is my belief that people who have no volunteering experience, no shadowing expereince have no idea what they are getting themselves into. Medicine is a beast, but this beast can be tamed, but requires alot of time.
 

ppisklak

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2004
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Just about to start clinical rotations here. I am glad I made the choice to go into medicine. Do your research (i.e. shadowing, volunteering), and if it seems to fit your talents and abilities and you understand the huge financial/time committment, go for it and don't look back.
IMHO, loving something (or someone) is a choice and a commitment to push ahead even when it's not exactly what you expected.

That came out pretty cheesy, but I thought I would offer it anyway.

Paul
MS-2.9
 

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2002
Messages
4,372
Reaction score
5
Herman Bloom said:
Think your lawyer friends have it any easier? Think again.

Me, 27 years old. Finishing third year. Working ~60 hours a week on peds rotation (a "light" rotation). Some rotations (surg, ob) 80-90 hours a week. Constant exams and evaluations. Paying out the ass for supplies, books, clothes, exams, etc. Take home income this year: -53K

My fiance, 27 years old. First year out of law school. Works ~60 hours a week, sometimes a little more when it gets really busy, sometimes less. Works her ass off, but loves her job. Can work from home, coffee shops if she wants to. Business expenses all paid for by firm whenever she travels (clients are in Puerto Rico, Arizona, etc). When she works past 7pm, she can get up to 35 bucks remimbursable for dinner, and taxi home is free. When she takes summer associates out for lunch she can expend 60 dollars per person. Takn home income this year as a first year associate: 145K, plus bonuses starting at 25K. Salary goes up 10-15K per year. Partners make >800K per year.

Whenever she starts to bitch about her job, she says shes always grateful that my ****ty situation makes her feel better :laugh:

Seriously, the grass is always greener on the other side, but some people genuinely make the wrong decisions. I know some very intelligent people who put as much research into medical school as the next guy and realize it wasn't what they thought it would be.

I know myself personally, as someone alluded to earlier in the thread, the "doctor-patient" relationship dissappoints me sometimes. Many times it turns into the resident/attending doing a NYPD Blue style interrogation of the patient to get a history, with unappreciative patients complaining about their management, being noncompliant with meds, and generally not being appreciative of the care they receive. I'm not saying it always like this and more often than not docs and patients have relationships that somewhat resemble the ideal that some people look for, but I understand why some people like radiologists prefer the consultant role where they get to deal primarily with other professionals. Having spent some time in Africa I was initially appalled by some of the attitude of entitlement that some patients I've dealt with have, but I've gotten over it.

I like med school. I don't love it. I'm way past the point of trying to idealize things, cause its almost impossible to find a profession that you will like 100 percent of what you do and what it takes to get there.
 

chrisjohn

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2005
Messages
190
Reaction score
9
Looks plus connections equates to a good job.

I know too many recent law school grads w/o jobs. A buddy of mine went nearly a year w/o a job and was about to hang out his shingle, graduated near the top of his class and passed the bar handily. He finally did land a good gig, and yea it’s more plush that medical school or residency, but he works at least 70 hours a week and travels a lot. The money is also no where near as lucrative as 170K. In most states the mean attorney salary is under 100K.
 

MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2003
Messages
365
Reaction score
0
chrisjohn said:
Looks plus connections equates to a good job.

I know too many recent law school grads w/o jobs. A buddy of mine went nearly a year w/o a job and was about to hang out his shingle, graduated near the top of his class and passed the bar handily. He finally did land a good gig, and yea it’s more plush that medical school or residency, but he works at least 70 hours a week and travels a lot. The money is also no where near as lucrative as 170K. In most states the mean attorney salary is under 100K.

Just finished talking to a best friend who was offered 350K straight out of her pedo dental residency, that is without benefits, and we were talking about how she wants to go to med school and it was always in her heart. Long personal story, but lets say it wasnt her decision to go to dental school, she is amazingly SMART 99% on every test or board ever, very humble, and did not even know how much she was worth or cared when she is getting these 350K+ offers with a year left to her residency. Now SHE will make the BEST doctor in the world. I love her to death, she is my soulmate. Thats compassion and love for medicine, someone who doesnt even give 350K a look, instead goes with her heart and her love for medicine and more appreciation for it that she is willing to spend all the time studying and all the debt that comes with it, when she can be working 35 hours a week, 4 days a week driving a benz in a mansion at the age of 27.
 

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2002
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
9
MD2b20004 said:
Just finished talking to a best friend who was offered 350K straight out of her pedo dental residency, that is without benefits, and we were talking about how she wants to go to med school and it was always in her heart. Long personal story, but lets say it wasnt her decision to go to dental school, she is amazingly SMART 99% on every test or board ever, very humble, and did not even know how much she was worth or cared when she is getting these 350K+ offers with a year left to her residency. Now SHE will make the BEST doctor in the world. I love her to death, she is my soulmate. Thats compassion and love for medicine, someone who doesnt even give 350K a look, instead goes with her heart and her love for medicine and more appreciation for it that she is willing to spend all the time studying and all the debt that comes with it, when she can be working 35 hours a week, 4 days a week driving a benz in a mansion at the age of 27.
P.S. You're an idiot.
 

WildcatDMD

The Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
Umm... Completing 4 years of dental school and doing well enough to specialize and then 2 years of pedo residency... and then deciding to go back to medical school? I hope medical schools don't even give her a chance. How do they know she won't decide to throw out her MD after doing a surgical residency and go back to get her accounting degree because she "figured out" medicine was not what she wanted to do? I'm holding my tongue right now. I'm glad you love her.
 

MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2003
Messages
365
Reaction score
0
WildcatDMD said:
Umm... Completing 4 years of dental school and doing well enough to specialize and then 2 years of pedo residency... and then deciding to go back to medical school? I hope medical schools don't even give her a chance. How do they know she won't decide to throw out her MD after doing a surgical residency and go back to get her accounting degree because she "figured out" medicine was not what she wanted to do? I'm holding my tongue right now. I'm glad you love her.

For BigFrank, your nothing but a BIG TROLL and BIG ******, thats so i wont say anymore because trolls are not worth my time. For the OP that I am answering the post to, she always wanted medicine, our university doesnt have a medical school, so her parents pretty much overpressured her (forced her to go into dental school). She wanted to be an MD from day one, so there is no doubt about where her heart is, its just it seems she was too weak or naive to confront her parents about it. Just like the case where alot of parents pressure their kids into medicine when they really did not want to do it and I know A LOT in my class that were honest enough to admit this, the only difference is she is strong enough now and more wise to realize screw doing something to make your parents happy, she wants to do what she always had in her heart and that is medicine. And how Admissions Committees will look at it, I dont know, I wish her the best in any way, but know its not like she is indecessive and is going to want a professional degree every 4 years, her heart was always in medicine, it was her circumstances (HUGE pressure from parents, dental scholarship, etc...) that put her in this misery.

Other than that, thats all I got to say about the post, no more troll remarks please, some people just have too much time and no brains, I swear some people like Big Frank who had a Small Brain that makes rude remarks for no reason scares the crap out of me that they are going to be future healthcare providers. What type of class, compassion, empathy, etc... do you have in your heart to be rude. He and others that act like trolls are the EXACT people that went into medicine for the wrong reasons and there immature personalities reflect that.
Take care All.
I'm out.
 

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2002
Messages
3,568
Reaction score
4
MD2b20004 said:
For BigFrank, your nothing but a BIG TROLL and BIG ******, thats so i wont say anymore because trolls are not worth my time. For the OP that I am answering the post to, she always wanted medicine, our university doesnt have a medical school, so her parents pretty much overpressured her (forced her to go into dental school). She wanted to be an MD from day one, so there is no doubt about where her heart is, its just it seems she was too weak or naive to confront her parents about it. Just like the case where alot of parents pressure their kids into medicine when they really did not want to do it and I know A LOT in my class that were honest enough to admit this, the only difference is she is strong enough now and more wise to realize screw doing something to make your parents happy, she wants to do what she always had in her heart and that is medicine. And how Admissions Committees will look at it, I dont know, I wish her the best in any way, but know its not like she is indecessive and is going to want a professional degree every 4 years, her heart was always in medicine, it was her circumstances (HUGE pressure from parents, dental scholarship, etc...) that put her in this misery...

Personally, I really admire your friend...as you said, she's finally sticking up for who she is and what she really wants to do, even when she has so much already invested in her dental education. I hope the AdComs will see this in her, too. "Following your heart" can be one of the hardest, but also most rewarding, ways to go for anyone (apologies for the corniness).
 

Tori's dad

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
159
Reaction score
0
Paws said:
As for dentists, people!! let me tell you. The dental residents I know are looking at 1) NO CALL, 2) 35 hour work weeks, 3) NO MALPRACTICE, ok, but like $90 a year, and the kicker: 4) salaries of about $300,000 - 400,000.

:eek:

I don't know where you got your info on dentist salaries, but either your dent buddies lied to you or you are grossly exaggerating: http://www.payscale.com/salary-survey/vid-7900/fid-6886

Besides OMFS, even the coolest dental subspecialty is still just a dentist.
 

RaaMD

Caffeine Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
Tori's dad said:
....even the coolest dental subspecialty is still just a dentist.

Just a dentist?
 

chrisjohn

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2005
Messages
190
Reaction score
9
Tori's dad said:
I don't know where you got your info on dentist salaries, but either your dent buddies lied to you or you are grossly exaggerating: http://www.payscale.com/salary-survey/vid-7900/fid-6886

Besides OMFS, even the coolest dental subspecialty is still just a dentist.


Didn't you know everyone has a friend who makes 300K right of UG? Internet urban legend.

There are a lot of kids on the forum that haven't made their initial foray out of the nest.
 

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2002
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
9
MD2b20004 said:
For BigFrank, your nothing but a BIG TROLL and BIG ******, thats so i wont say anymore because trolls are not worth my time. For the OP that I am answering the post to, she always wanted medicine, our university doesnt have a medical school, so her parents pretty much overpressured her (forced her to go into dental school). She wanted to be an MD from day one, so there is no doubt about where her heart is, its just it seems she was too weak or naive to confront her parents about it. Just like the case where alot of parents pressure their kids into medicine when they really did not want to do it and I know A LOT in my class that were honest enough to admit this, the only difference is she is strong enough now and more wise to realize screw doing something to make your parents happy, she wants to do what she always had in her heart and that is medicine. And how Admissions Committees will look at it, I dont know, I wish her the best in any way, but know its not like she is indecessive and is going to want a professional degree every 4 years, her heart was always in medicine, it was her circumstances (HUGE pressure from parents, dental scholarship, etc...) that put her in this misery.

Other than that, thats all I got to say about the post, no more troll remarks please, some people just have too much time and no brains, I swear some people like Big Frank who had a Small Brain that makes rude remarks for no reason scares the crap out of me that they are going to be future healthcare providers. What type of class, compassion, empathy, etc... do you have in your heart to be rude. He and others that act like trolls are the EXACT people that went into medicine for the wrong reasons and there immature personalities reflect that.
Take care All.
I'm out.
Another Treasure Trove of idiocy.

MD2b20004: Thank you for the nasty and cowardly PM.

:)
 

WildcatDMD

The Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
Tori's dad said:
I don't know where you got your info on dentist salaries, but either your dent buddies lied to you or you are grossly exaggerating: http://www.payscale.com/salary-survey/vid-7900/fid-6886

Besides OMFS, even the coolest dental subspecialty is still just a dentist.

Believe what you will. Unfortunately, since most dentists are not salaried, salary info is severely skewed. Salaried positions in dentistry are associate positions and community health. There are some others, perhaps hospital dentistry and military dentistry. The majority of dentists are small business owners. If you think they earn less than their employee associates, you are grossly mistaken.

Being "just a dentist" is an absolute dream job for those who love it. And, Tori, most of them will be more intelligent and more secure than you will be when you finally become "just a physician".
 

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2002
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
9
WildcatDMD said:
Believe what you will. Unfortunately, since most dentists are not salaried, salary info is severely skewed. Salaried positions in dentistry are associate positions and community health. There are some others, perhaps hospital dentistry and military dentistry. The majority of dentists are small business owners. If you think they earn less than their employee associates, you are grossly mistaken.

Being "just a dentist" is an absolute dream job for those who love it. And, Tori, most of them will be more intelligent and more secure than you will be when you finally become "just a physician".
Anyone with a rationale mind who has been to (and had to pay for) a dentist can't believe they make less than most physicians.
 

WildcatDMD

The Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
bigfrank said:
Anyone with a rationale mind who has been to (and had to pay for) a dentist can't believe they make less than most physicians.

Haha. I feel your pain. Actually, no, I don't. I'm at the other end of the handpiece. :D
 

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2002
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
9
I find it discouraging that most dentists don't accept Medicaid, though.
 

WildcatDMD

The Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
I believe it has more to do with Medicaid not paying the fees necessary for most dentists to be able to provide the standard of care. But, I don't know much about the insurance part of dentistry yet. I do know that the overhead in running dental offices is staggering. The fees would not be always be greatly reduced even if dentists made much less.
 
Top