Anyone with an interest in any of these topics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to post this over here in Pre-Osteo because everyone on this side seems (with a couple of notable exceptions) a little more levelheaded and a lot less cutthroat than the frequent flyers in pre-allo. Does anyone have an interest in any of the following topics:

-Ethics of palliative care
-Pulmonary complications among intravenous drug abusers
-Hypersensitivity myocarditis
-Drug abuse and misuse among bulimics and anorexics
-Drug induced pulmonary disease
-The effects of biowarfare attacks
-Respiratory complications of crack cocaine use
-Nutritional support of ventilator patients
-Injury patterns in light aircraft crashes
-Respiratory disorders among agricultural workers
-Head trauma
-Toxicology
-High altitude/mountaineering medicine
-Preparing for and dealing with mass fatality incidents (plane crashes, building collapses, etc)

Feel free to PM with what interests you and I'll explain further what I have in mind. Anyone in Michigan is especially welcome to contact me, as is anyone else with a specific clinical interest......

Members don't see this ad.

I decided to post this over here in Pre-Osteo because everyone on this side seems (with a couple of notable exceptions) a little more levelheaded and a lot less cutthroat than the frequent flyers in pre-allo. Does anyone have an interest in any of the following topics:

-Head trauma
-Toxicology
-Preparing for and dealing with mass fatality incidents (plane crashes, building collapses, etc)

Feel free to PM with what interests you and I'll explain further what I have in mind. Anyone in Michigan is especially welcome to contact me, as is anyone else with a specific clinical interest......

Interested in the above due to the surgical impact (being able to take a patient to the OR, having a patient be able to heal post operatively).

This is a big issue in surgical care. "Will this patient be able to survive if I take them to the operating room?"

It all comes down to nutrition.

I'm a recovered bulimic, don't know if that changes anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm quite interested in Toxicology and also exposure of agricultural workers to various compounds and resultant tox issues. My master's research is on contamination of surface and groundwater at concentrated animal feeding lots specifically regarding endocrine disrupting compounds. I've been working with mass specs and method development for the last 7-8 years for these compunds as well as many other pharmaceuticals and even some illicit substances. It's pretty cool but I would rather be on the clinical side. I would however like to eventually apply my knowledge gained for these areas and apply them to medicine.

Crazy stuff going on here. See my post below. :eek:

I'm a recovered bulimic, don't know if that changes anything.
Not in the slightest.....PM me and we can discuss it further

-Hypersensitivity myocarditis-Drug abuse and misuse among bulimics and anorexics

-Head trauma
-Toxicology

OK. I tried posting before, my computer freaked out, and I don't know what happened to my post. So, hopefully this is not a double post. Anyway...

Especially the toxicology.:D :thumbup: Actually, let me add head trauma to the top of my list too.

Interested in the above due to the surgical impact (being able to take a patient to the OR, having a patient be able to heal post operatively).

This is a big issue in surgical care. "Will this patient be able to survive if I take them to the operating room?"

It all comes down to nutrition.

Wow - interesting.
I'm interested in this right now, particularly, b/c my mom has landed up in the ICU for the last 21 days after an apparent contrast dye reaction while getting an MRI. She's been on & off the ventilator, in partial liver & kidney failure, probably needs a colectemy, and they are waiting until the answer to that question is yes for her.
So yah, I'd say that's interesting to me right now, though I wish it wasn't.

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that about your mom. Hopefully everything will work out ok for you two.

Wow - interesting.
I'm interested in this right now, particularly, b/c my mom has landed up in the ICU for the last 21 days after an apparent contrast dye reaction while getting an MRI. She's been on & off the ventilator, in partial liver & kidney failure, probably needs a colectemy, and they are waiting until the answer to that question is yes for her.
So yah, I'd say that's interesting to me right now, though I wish it wasn't.
You have my best wishes for her speedy recovery. :D

-Head trauma
-Toxicology

I am interested with both of these. I recently had to deal with both before my dad passed away. He was on TPN when he was ventilator dependent. He ended up down to 118 lbs and he was 6'2". Then when we were dealing with pallative care, it came down to whether or not giving the meds that will suppress breathing is a form of legal euthenasia. It has been difficult for me to digest, even though I know it was inevitable anyway.

I am interested with both of these. I recently had to deal with both before my dad passed away. He was on TPN when he was ventilator dependent. He ended up down to 118 lbs and he was 6'2". Then when we were dealing with pallative care, it came down to whether or not giving the meds that will suppress breathing is a form of legal euthenasia. It has been difficult for me to digest, even though I know it was inevitable anyway.
PM me if you would like to investigate those topics a little further and we will talk about it some more. :)

BTW, Holly and I pass along our condolences regarding your father.

Despite the side-swipe at pre-allo people :)p) I'm interested in the two above.

(actually I'm interested in the ethics of anything, I find ethics really interesting).

Orthodoc and lrobin - I'm very sorry to hear the bad news.

Does anyone have an interest in any of the following topics:

-Toxicology

Interested in all 3 in that order.

Thanks for the well-wishes guys. Let's just say, it's a big shock. Literally, for her. Been forced into learning a lot in the last few weeks - and the nutrition/ventillator thing is a big part of it. Sorry - didn't mean to get all depressing on everyone!

Lrobin - sorry about your dad - it must have been very difficult.

Sorry - didn't mean to get all depressing on everyone!

Don't worry about that, what else are friends for if not for moral support when it is needed? :D BTW, if you ever need to vent or have a question, I'm as close as a PM Orthodoc......