Anyone with probs at Creighton in NE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabbers22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all--
Well, I just got rejected from Creighton, and their letter said nothing about calling for an exit interview. SO, I called, and they stated that they don't have exit interviews...they did not even ask my name...just wanted to know my MCAT score and then proceeded to tell me their MCAT and GPA averages.
It was completely frustrating! I just wanted to know if anyone else had problems with Creighton, and why they would not have exit interviews. Do most other schools not have exit interviews?
Sorry to vent, but I was so angry with them!

Gabbers

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, and I didn't complete an app to Creighton, it's not really a standard practice to have "exit" interviews.

I've no idea what the percentages are. Some schools do, some schools don't.

I imagine some of the private schools might think twice about offering such a thing just because of the high numbers of apps they get.

I see you're from Omaha. Did you apply to UNMC? Or perhaps you had your heart set on Creighton.

If it comes down to it, UNMC does offer these interviews--I had one--and it was excellent.

--Kris

Kris--
HI! Thanks for your advice...no my heart was not set on Creighton...I really wanted to go to UNMC, but I was not accepted there either...oh well...I will take the MCAT again in August and try again!
Also, I was the one that emailed you about your experience with applying to UNMC...THANK YOU for your advice...I read and re-read your message! It is an inspiring story, and I wish you all the luck next year...I know several students who will be in your class....everyone is so nice...how I wish I could be there with you!
smile.gif

gabers22

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a problem. Creighton was one of the first schools I sent a secondary to. In fact, my undergrad has statistically been a feeder school for Creighton as they both are Jesuit colleges. Anyhow, after months of waiting and hearing back from other med schools, Creighton finaly sent me a rejection letter. Paraphrasing the letter, it said that my application was incomplete and that they cannot offer me a position in the class. I was shocked. I made sure everything was there on time and complete.

So I called Creighton, and they said nothing about it. They only said that my application WAS complete and all materials were received. They wouldn't comment on the letter only saying that when my application came to the committee, they were unable to offer me an interview. There was no indication if they thought this was due to an incomplete application. What is up with that??!

wyldsytle

gabbers22,

You're welcome. Glad I could help, and best of luck this next year. Perhaps I'll see you on an interview day!

Kris

Creighton is notorious for $hitty student affairs practices. They will tell you with a straight face that their priorities are creighton undergrads, legacies, and relatives of endowment givers (is there a word for that ? endowers?). What is odd is that just down the road is UNMC, which is completely opposite. They offer rejection advice and interviews and cater to the interviewees. So, I wouldn't feel bad about Creighton as you are not alone with these experiences.

Eric

I know of several people who interviewed at Creighton, and none of them enjoyed the experience. One was a white male who was given an interview in the middle of May. Before going to the interview, he asked them if their class was already full; they replied, "No." When he got there the following week, their admissions dean announced that the class had been full since March and that they were probably just giving tours and waitlist places to the thirty people who had travelled there from across the country.

The quality of their students is marginal, and it's very hard to get it from outside their "system." All a Creighton undergrad has to do is get ~3.5 and a fairly low MCAT and they're in.

Perhaps some of these experiences are due to the relative quality of the applicants/interviews? I am not trying to put anyone down, but when I interviewed there earlier in the season, the admissions staff was nothing but helpful, extremely friendly, and glad that we were there. I had the opportunity to talk with almost all of the 17 interviewees that were there that day, and only 2 of them were from other Jesuit or Catholic Schools. We all felt that the interview at Creighton was one of the best interview experiences of all that we had been to.

As far as your comments about the students being marginal, I did not find this to be true by any means. While it is true that they still have the Creighton Guaranteed Admissions, they have tried to make it a *little* tougher (they raised the MCAT min to 9s on the sections, and the GPA is still 3.5). Also, since Dr. Nipper has been there, he has been fighting to eliminate the Guarantee - this will be the last year of it. With 110 spots, and 50 or so going to Creighton Undergrads, that left about 60 spots for nonaffiliates. Of course, being a private school, they give people with strong ties (via alumni, etc) second looks. Every private school that I know of does. I know that the majority of the folks that I spoke with on my interview day had no affiliation at all. Seems like they probably were not marginal students.

As for the problem that you experienced with their rejection explanation... my advice would be to ask to speak with Dr. Nipper. He was an extremely nive guy, and seemed to care about the applicants. Rather than asking the question to the seceratary out front that just has a computer screen that says "Rejected," you might want to adress your question to someone who can tell you something.

Take care, and good luck.