Anyone work as a research assistant? Interview on Tuesday

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JFK90787

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. After a very boring month of hammering out cover letters and resumes, I finally have a job interview. The lab is here http://www.ragoninstitute.org/research.html for those who care

This is my first interview for a 'real job' so I'm a little worried. Can anyone who works as a research assistant tell me the types of questions I should expect? I should be fine if I get asked any science questions regarding the research but I'm wondering if I'll get asked odd-ball questions like "What would you consider your worst feature", etc.

Members don't see this ad.

its going to be mostly technical. what kind of molecular techniques, what kind of in-vivo work, can u come into do cell cultures

if they ask you about your research it will be about methods

if they are hiring you as a tech, they are going to use you to do the work and (usually) not give you a full project. you can still publish but thats not the idea of the position.

im actually interviewing someone (she has a 5 years research masters from germany) for a tech position next week, and i need to know that shes comfortable with the techniques and her qualifications and whatnot so i can actually feel safe giving her my work

you'd be surprised how many college kids come in and fail at doing ELISAS for months and months even though they say they are experienced.

you'd be surprised how many college kids come in and fail at doing ELISAS for months and months even though they say they are experienced.

If they're failing for many months, then really the fault lies on the person who failed to train the 'college kid' to properly handle the tasks. I feel even if someone claims they know certain techniques, you really have to watch them go through it once to make sure. In our lab, even the most incompetent undergrad we had caught on through careful instruction.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well had it earlier, it went OK, not great by any means.

I had interviews with 4 people, and they all made a point of asking multiple times if I had any questions. I think by the third person, I got the message I might've effed up by not having any questions for them.

In conclusion, job hunting sucks.

Well had it earlier, it went OK, not great by any means.

I had interviews with 4 people, and they all made a point of asking multiple times if I had any questions. I think by the third person, I got the message I might've effed up by not having any questions for them.

In conclusion, job hunting sucks.

Is there any way you can work for free and then then develop a project and help the prof apply for a grant?

A lot of people think I'm joking but a question I've asked in the past is if they care if I wear flip-flops in the lab or eat in the lab.

According to Health & Safety these are both big no-nos, but a lot of people I know do it anyway. If your PI or other lab members aren't bothered by it, don't be so concerned. But don't get caught by a H&S person because you will get written up, and then your PI is gonna be pissed.

If you're a good enough candidate remember to be picky. Take the best job possible...and believe me, investigate the lab beforehand...ask members what they think about their work and their boss. I interviewed for about 10 lab positions after college, and got offers from about 7 of them (so I got pretty pro at this). Most interviews will ask about your prior research experience...definitely be ready to explain any projects you've done in detail and demonstrate your understanding of the techniques you learned. Come with questions...on the line...

(1) What project will I work on?
(2) Will there be independence? Can I develop my own project?
(3) What are the hours? Weekend time?
(4) Job benefits: can I take courses while a tech at the attached university (if applicable)?
(5) What's the committment: 1 year, 2 years? (it's typically two).
(6) Will I be attached to a postdoc? Who will that be?

For the most part, if you're a good candidate you'll probably only lose out in consideration if there are candidates with masters degrees also applying. Some of the positions I interviewed for varied from "take care of the mouse colony" to "sequence SNPs in cancer patients". I liked the research in some labs, but may have hated the people or (in some cases) the pay. Ultimately, I got offered a position in a new lab at a great university with great benefits, in a position where I largely function as a graduate student who also takes care of side projects more akin to "techy" stuff (i.e. molecular cloning, barf). Being a tech in a less established lab is often a better experience than a large, successful lab...more so because you can avoid the dread of having to be a post doc's slave, slash, you're given important projects that need to be done even though they aren't a lot of people to do them yet. Be picky...don't take a job that isn't intellectually stimulating or you'll just end up hating research. Also, if you get enough interviews don't feel bad about asking for more money. I got 5k/year more than I was offered initially because I knew how to play hardball. Good luck!

If you're a good enough candidate remember to be picky. Take the best job possible...and believe me, investigate the lab beforehand...ask members what they think about their work and their boss. I interviewed for about 10 lab positions after college, and got offers from about 7 of them (so I got pretty pro at this). Most interviews will ask about your prior research experience...definitely be ready to explain any projects you've done in detail and demonstrate your understanding of the techniques you learned. Come with questions...on the line...

(1) What project will I work on?
(2) Will there be independence? Can I develop my own project?
(3) What are the hours? Weekend time?
(4) Job benefits: can I take courses while a tech at the attached university (if applicable)?
(5) What's the committment: 1 year, 2 years? (it's typically two).
(6) Will I be attached to a postdoc? Who will that be?

For the most part, if you're a good candidate you'll probably only lose out in consideration if there are candidates with masters degrees also applying. Some of the positions I interviewed for varied from "take care of the mouse colony" to "sequence SNPs in cancer patients". I liked the research in some labs, but may have hated the people or (in some cases) the pay. Ultimately, I got offered a position in a new lab at a great university with great benefits, in a position where I largely function as a graduate student who also takes care of side projects more akin to "techy" stuff (i.e. molecular cloning, barf). Being a tech in a less established lab is often a better experience than a large, successful lab...more so because you can avoid the dread of having to be a post doc's slave, slash, you're given important projects that need to be done even though they aren't a lot of people to do them yet. Be picky...don't take a job that isn't intellectually stimulating or you'll just end up hating research. Also, if you get enough interviews don't feel bad about asking for more money. I got 5k/year more than I was offered initially because I knew how to play hardball. Good luck!

Good advice, thanks. I'll find out about their decision by next week, just keeping my fingers crossed in the meantime.

Also, should I send a follow-up email thanking my interviewers? I was told to do this, but it just seems super tacky.

Send it. It's tackier (or whatever if you don't)