anyone working while in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rebaj

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks -

Wondering if there is anyone out there who has tried to hold down some kind of job while being a med student, or if anyone has thoughts on the feasability of it.

I've been a free-lancer for years, and am staying in my home city for med school, and will have the opportunity to still pick up work from time to time. I don't plan on counting on it when I do my Fin Aid, but a little extra cash now and then will be nice....am I crazy for thinking I'll be able to work a day or two a week occasionally?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ola.

I worked as a freelance proofreader (horrors and historical romances) before beginning medical school, and have continued to pick up work during med school as well. The extra money is nice (though minimal), and I like the sense of balance it gives me...

I teach for Kaplan, and I know several other ppl who have taught for various test prep companies during their first and second years...good money, decent schedule, not very tough work...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by rebaj
Hey folks -

Wondering if there is anyone out there who has tried to hold down some kind of job while being a med student, or if anyone has thoughts on the feasability of it.

I've been a free-lancer for years, and am staying in my home city for med school, and will have the opportunity to still pick up work from time to time. I don't plan on counting on it when I do my Fin Aid, but a little extra cash now and then will be nice....am I crazy for thinking I'll be able to work a day or two a week occasionally?

Thanks!

During your first 2 years, you should be able to find the time to free-lance, and maybe even in your 4th year depending on your schedule. During 3rd year, it's going to be tough.

Hey all,

I curious about this as well. I will be graduating pharmacy school this may and starting med school in August and I was hoping to pick up about 8h/wk (once school starts) working as a pharmacist in a retail setting. Is this reasonable? I hope because I was planning on the $300 a week in helping pay for med school.

Pharmer

I get a income a few different ways while in medical school.

I work for the medical school in an easy computer tech position (about $400 per month for minimal hours). I teach for Kaplan (not much money but not much time either). I volunteer for clinical research (income depends on the type of research...up to $300 for some studies but usually about $50 or so). I housesit and dogsit for wealthy doctors (about $150 per week when I can find the work).

I was wondering the exact same thing. I am currently in grad school and working parttime as a cytotechnologist (what I went to grad school for). I would love to work PRN on weekends or something becasue the money is really good and not hard at all.

toogood1