Anyone worried about their grades while attending interviews this semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Penny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I am the only one who did not realize how much time was going to be taken out of our schedules for all of these dental school interviews. I am taking micro, anatomy, and physics with labs and traveling across the country for interviews. On top of that I already drive 2.5-3 hours total every day to attend classes since I just moved back home. I was not prepared for the amount of study time I was going to lose from all of this. I am pretty certain straight A's this semester is not happening. Pretty sure I will get A's and B's, which is not bad. But I worry it will really lower my science GPA since I am a nontraditional student taking the minimal science work.

I am worried because I have a 4.0 science GPA but this is from going part time. Im worried dental schools will see that I went full time and did not make straight A's and that I can not handle dental school and rescind an acceptance. Does this sound really silly? I hope so.

Anyone else go through this but end up just fine?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely feel you. While I do not have a 4.0 sGPA, I am worried about some of my grades. From what I understand, as long as you don't get anything below a C in your prereqs, and don't fail your other classes, you should be good to go, especially if you get an acceptance on Dec 1st. HOWEVER, some schools require you to maintain certain grades as part of your acceptance agreement. Personally I am taking some neuro classes that are kicking my butt especially because I had to travel a lot for interviews, but I know that I can pull off high Cs or Bs, and based on other people's experiences, that would not be a reason for schools to withdraw their acceptance.

Yeah it's hard with classes, but at this point it doesn't matter. If you have a 4.0 you are going to get in somewhere, just don't get below a c that's all that matters

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely feel you. While I do not have a 4.0 sGPA, I am worried about some of my grades. From what I understand, as long as you don't get anything below a C in your prereqs, and don't fail your other classes, you should be good to go, especially if you get an acceptance on Dec 1st. HOWEVER, some schools require you to maintain certain grades as part of your acceptance agreement. Personally I am taking some neuro classes that are kicking my butt especially because I had to travel a lot for interviews, but I know that I can pull off high Cs or Bs, and based on other people's experiences, that would not be a reason for schools to withdraw their acceptance.

Yeah it's hard with classes, but at this point it doesn't matter. If you have a 4.0 you are going to get in somewhere, just don't get below a c that's all that matters

Thanks for sharing your advice and stories! Wishing you both the best! :)

I received my first C before entering dental school because of how hectic interview season was. You can only do so much without a gap year, so don't worry about it. If they have chosen you to represent their school, they believe you posses the ability to make through regardless of 1 or 2 mishaps, so long as you make the minimum grades that they MAY require for their pre-reqs. They can be stickler for those kinds of things, but they won't rescind your acceptance unless you explicitly violate their policy on pre-reqs.

Wow. I'm not the only one struggling with classes and interviews.
Make me feel less stress, I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup.
But I think there's also a lot of senioritis in there for me, too haha

Reactions: 1 users
Yup.
But I think there's also a lot of senioritis in there for me, too haha
Is senioritis some kind of contagious disease?? Is it the one where you think you're old, and you start to forget things, but still doesnt get discount at the movie? :prof::prof:

Is senioritis some kind of contagious disease?? Is it the one where you think you're old, and you start to forget things, but still doesnt get discount at the movie? :prof::prof:

More of when you go into "IDGAF" mode after important obligations are completed.

Or, for some, when secondaries swamp your email. *shrug*

Reactions: 1 user
I was on my gap year when I had interviews. Don't know how that would have worked out with taking something like physics. *Shrug, students do it though.

Kind of. My grades definitely won't be what they are supposed to be... and it's a little frustrating trying to coordinate stuff. I'm working 15-20 hours/week and taking microbiology, which is kind of a trainwreck. But it'll all be okay. :)

Last edited:
Getting on this forum early enough in the process has allowed me to plan my schedule for next year to take a very light load so I don't have to worry about missing much, assuming I get interviews!!! I already know most of the profs I will have next year and they are cool about stuff like this.

Hahahaha well I do get a "student discount" but I bet the actual senior one is better.

Getting on this forum early enough in the process has allowed me to plan my schedule for next year to take a very light load so I don't have to worry about missing much, assuming I get interviews!!! I already know most of the profs I will have next year and they are cool about stuff like this.
Haha that was my mentality when scheduling for this semester. I'm taking very few classes right now, all my professors are fine with me missing, but it's still quite a lot to handle. Interviews can be on any day of the week and if you have to travel far, you'll end up missing a lot of days. Not to say it isn't worth it, but still.

Haha that was my mentality when scheduling for this semester. I'm taking very few classes right now, all my professors are fine with me missing, but it's still quite a lot to handle. Interviews can be on any day of the week and if you have to travel far, you'll end up missing a lot of days. Not to say it isn't worth it, but still.

Totally know what you meant. I always have to miss two days of class due to traveling.
Last week, I have a unite test in immunology, over 5 lecture materials, which I missed 3 :oops:

I just got back from missing 2 weeks, I go to school in Utah and had interview in Philadelphia, New York then California and best man in my brothers wedding before returning to school...its been pretty crazy taking Genomics, Advanced Molecular Biology and Biochem among some of my classes.