GoodmanBrown

is walking down the path.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
:( Sigh. While I knew this day was coming, did anyone else get sad as Steve Jobs excitedly revealed iAd (an awesome, new, magical, revolutionary new way to create exciting, interactive advertisements built right into our iPhone apps)? As a publicly traded company, Apple obviously wants to make as much money as possible, but yeah, I was very unthrilled with this development.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
While I don't like ads anymore than the next person, Ads are allready in some iPhone apps (mostly the free ones)

If you don't like the Ad's (I don't) then if the dev offers an ad free version you should take it. Dev's need to eat too

StatCoder

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2008
Status
I'm wondering whether Apple will target these ads or not. There's little value in putting an ad for a game on a clinical app. However, put a clinical ad on a clinical app and you're talking about significant value. Clinical apps are either going to get paid for by the user or by an advertisement. Some of the best ones are supported by ads such as Epocrates and Medscape.

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
While I don't like ads anymore than the next person, Ads are allready in some iPhone apps (mostly the free ones)

If you don't like the Ad's (I don't) then if the dev offers an ad free version you should take it. Dev's need to eat too
Correct.

All iAd does is standardize the way ads are incorporated into the applications, and generates additional revenue for Apple.

GoodmanBrown

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I guess only time will tell, but I'm expecting the app world to start conforming to the computer one.

SDN doesn't do it, but more and more of the sites I visit blast full-page ads that you have to watch for 10-15 seconds before getting to the actual content. I'd be surprised if more intrusive, full-screen ads didn't make their way into apps instead of the smaller banner ads we see now.

Additionally, it's upsetting that Apple is playing such hardball over development tools. How do you app developer feel about that? Is it really the apocalypse that some suggest? I'm not sure it's that huge, but I don't doubt that it will make cross-platform programming harder. We'll see how it all plays out.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I guess only time will tell, but I'm expecting the app world to start conforming to the computer one.

SDN doesn't do it, but more and more of the sites I visit blast full-page ads that you have to watch for 10-15 seconds before getting to the actual content. I'd be surprised if more intrusive, full-screen ads didn't make their way into apps instead of the smaller banner ads we see now.
I know advertising is annoying but it's how we get the content for free. Otherwise you would have to start paying for content.

StatCoder

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2008
Status
As a developer, I have no problem with Apple restricting cross-platform apps from the App Store. Whenever you decide to do cross-platform development, you are always sacrificing a lot of quality. Since Apple has such an abundance of available apps to offer they are naturally going to be more selective as time goes on. It's the smaller platforms that want to be able to run the same apps.

GoodmanBrown

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As a developer, I have no problem with Apple restricting cross-platform apps from the App Store. Whenever you decide to do cross-platform development, you are always sacrificing a lot of quality. Since Apple has such an abundance of available apps to offer they are naturally going to be more selective as time goes on. It's the smaller platforms that want to be able to run the same apps.
It's interesting that you aren't that concerned. I can't claim any experience with iPhone OS development, but I have read some pretty good arguments saying that the new restrictions will hamper even those developers who are interested in only iPhone apps.

For instance, developers who are interested in licensing a 3D engine for the iPad will now be unable to do so because the engine is acting as an intermediary. So, they've got to program a 3D engine from scratch which is a large undertaking. Another post I read pointed out that some of the very same programs that Apple has showcased at its events were programmed with intermediary engines and programs. So, the quality argument is pretty dubious in my mind. This is less about quality and more about Apple trying to prevent cool programs from getting to other platforms. Not particularly surprising, but a dick move nonetheless.

StatCoder

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2008
Status
Well, as a developer of medical apps I'm not really trying to push the technical boundries of the platform. While it would be wonderful to be able to develop an app on a third party tool that would work on iPhone, Android, and Blackberry, this could only happen with some significant compromises for the user. I'm sure you all have used these kinds of apps. They are the ones that don't seem to have been made for your device. Most Blackberries don't even have a touchscreen so really going cross-platform means not making use of any touchscreen features of the iPhone in you app. That's ridiculous but you can't even put a button on the screen with taking this into consideration.

What I'm most interested in is that a clinician takes a look at an iPhone OS device and finds the apps irresistable and decides to buy one. If it comes down to me spending countless hours porting a free app to a smartphone that I don't even use or the user spending $200-$500 to buy the right device then there's no decision.

GoodmanBrown

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Maybe it will lead to free medical apps! Would you use a free drug guide or dictionary if there was a tiny little ad on the bottom of the screen?
I probably would. Would you use one if you had to watch a full-screen, 15-second commercial on the benefits of Seroquel every time you opened it?

GoodmanBrown

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I probably would. Would you use one if you had to watch a full-screen, 15-second commercial on the benefits of Seroquel every time you opened it?
Well, get ready for them. The WSJ is reporting that Apple's gonna charge up to $10 million for adspace in iAd. You can bet a small ad in the bottom corner of an app isn't going to bring in the revenue needed to cover that.