Anyone you know that had trouble getting residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlsrn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Do you knw anyone that had trouble getting a residency..or didn't get one at all for that matter? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember correctly, you are or will be a FMG (Foreign Medical Graduate). The unmatch rates for US FMGs the last three years has been 52.6% (1999), 48.6% (2000), and 47.6% (2001). The umatch rates for Non-US FMGs are 67.8% (1999), 61.5% (2000), and 55.2% (2001). This data was obtained from the National Residency Matching Services' website.

I am not really sure what your question is exactly. Yes, I have met people who did not match or had trouble getting residency. Often, unmatched applicants wind up scrambling into positions in Internal Medicine or Anesthesia in less than desirable locations and programs.

My answer is the same as it has been for your previous queries on this subject. I have known people, both IMGs and US-grads alike who have not matched. Oftentimes it is a matter of poor program selection when applying or "wishful thinking" (ie, only applying to California programs or upper tier without some "safety" residencies).

As I said earlier, every year there are people who do not match, despite having stellar credentials. However, all is not lost as most obtain a position in the scramble or through other means. And there is always another year, another match!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if I'm making a "duh" clarification, but a US FMG is a US-citizen studying abroad right?

hello :) i'm new to this message board and i am really planning on joining a residency programme in the US after i graduate on 2003. many doctors who had their residency in US say that it is easier to get in the residency programme if you are applying somewhere far from the big cities. is this true? have you heard of such thing?

hi i was wondering if you guys know of any residencies that accept IMG's without US experience i.e those that didn't do any electives or clinical training in the states. thanks.
hi gurlinwhite, great to meet someone from the phils, so where are u studying?

hi jue :) i think we're asking for the same opinion... i go to UST :) how bout u? what year are you in now?