anything different on real exam vs. UW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amilewide

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi All,

On the real exam, is the feel exactly the same in terms of:
-can you highlight words and cross out answers?
-are all the lab values and how they are organized the same as UW?
-any other structural/formatting differences to be aware of?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

highlighting and crossing out features are there. Lab value button is possibly in upper right hand corner but I can't remember. I never remember the lab values being that helpful and the ones I really needed to know weren't listed (of course. lol)

The exam is different from UW. This is my advice:
For Day 1:
1) At the beginning at the tutorial write down as many biostats formulas as you can on your paper (absolute risk reduction, positive predictive value, etc...) that way when you get a question you have the formula there in front of you. I cannot emphasize enough that there are a lot of stat questions in each block
2) Save the drug ads for the last. You're going to eventually need to read them and answer the 4-6 questions associated with each but go through the other questions at least once so you don't miss any easy points (drug ads were very annoying btw).
3) Just be prepared to see questions that will have you scratching your head saying "wait is this step 1 or step 3? How would I remember that?".

For Day 2:
1) I felt the questions were more difficult. Other people (particularly medicine residents) find these more straightforward. There's no stats or drug ads though so it should feel more like what you've been studying for.
2) Preparing well for CCS really pays off. Become very familiar with UW's program because the real exam's CCS is very similar. Half the challenge is getting used to the program. If you've done all the practice CCS cases and you're good about remembering what you should be ordering you'll do ok. The real CCS shuts off the case much sooner than UW (usually it's a good thing) so don't be alarmed if that happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks much Tapepsi!

I'm just cramming for the exam: do you think if I just do the UW biostats lessons, and do the FIP 540 questions (and know them fairly well) I can take day 1 and do well?

I'm trying to then do the day 2, 2 weeks latter and using those 2 weeks to do the ACM questions in UW and CCS... I know, bad planning, but would it work to just take day 1 after doing and knowing all FIP questions in UW?

I must say, this obsession with FIP vs ACM questions is really misguided. I realize you are cramming for the exam, but realistically the exam is so broad that even if you did all of the UWorld questions you would still not know all of the answers or have covered all of the topics. Heck, you could probably do all of UWorld Step 1/2/3 and still not know some answers.

And of course, the USMLE format is slightly different...like all of the other step exams, UWorld is the closest thing to the real deal in terms of formatting, labs, etc. And honestly, you probably won't need to look at the labs as most pertinent values are so abnormal it is quite obvious. And you can see what the CCS portion looks like by practicing the cases on the USMLE website. Don't overthink it.

Thanks a lot; that is good advice;

Does anyone know which day (1 or 2) has the basic science topics/questions? and is there any resource for reviewing high yield basic science pearls?