anything easier in the north-east?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayoflite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone name any less competitive EM res. in new england,ny,nj and penn.? I am sorry in advance if this is a no-no question but I haven't found similar info anywhere and don't know who else to ask. I am an IMG and haven't exactly aced the USMLE (obviously).
I know threads like this usually don't live but let's see...

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think anyone will flat out name the easier programs to get into but some of the NYC programs arent that competetive. I would say that the Boston area is rather competetive. Additionally, some of the Programs in PA and NJ are less competetive.

This is just my opinion of course..

rayoflite said:
can anyone name any less competitive EM res. in new england,ny,nj and penn.? I am sorry in advance if this is a no-no question but I haven't found similar info anywhere and don't know who else to ask. I am an IMG and haven't exactly aced the USMLE (obviously).
I know threads like this usually don't live but let's see...
One other thing to consider is that some of these "less competetive" programs might not even look at FMGs.

your best bet is to look at the residents they have and see which places have FMGs. I would still apply boradly.. Should be broadly...

Members don't see this ad :)
EctopicFetus said:
your best bet is to look at the residents they have and see which places have FMGs. I would still apply boradly..

thanks Fetus. what other states/places would you recommend? maybe places with boring landscape (since most of EM residents I checked are outdoor enthusiasts) ?

Is the list of this year's unfilled programs still up? I think there were a few in NYC that didn't fill when I peeked at the list. Other than that, there weren't many programs that didn't fill IIRC.

The PD at Wayne State Sinai Grace in Detroit told us that they try taking 1 - 2 FMGs per year. its not in the NE but seems FMG friendly

I would say that the state of Michigan is less competetive (though some programs are really competitive), also Ohio. Just apply to places you are interested...

I *love* the fact that NYC programs arent competitive! i sooo wanted to go to nyc! :D

irrka, I think thats the case because there are so many of them. The place you matched is somewhat competetive.

The sheer glut of programs is what makes NYC less competetive.

EF- by no means was i suggesting anything derogatory about my #1 on ROL. That said, and adding that i was only applying to NYC and Chicago programs i'd've been happy if i got taken by anything, no matter if it was "competitive" or not :) as long as i get to train in a location i like (i've definitely outgrown the program over location/quality of life thingamagig)

irrka said:
EF- by no means was i suggesting anything derogatory about my #1 on ROL. That said, and adding that i was only applying to NYC and Chicago programs i'd've been happy if i got taken by anything, no matter if it was "competitive" or not :) as long as i get to train in a location i like (i've definitely outgrown the program over location/quality of life thingamagig)

I would say that the following states are also not very competitive:

Arizona
North Carolina
South Carolina
Florida
California

...something about not enough snow to provide enough trauma :)

No really, I think there is virtually no state that you should write off as being "too competitive". In part because the consensus here is always that there is unlikely to be a uniform set of credentials across the nation that designates someone as competitive/not competitive.

If you just barely passed your USMLEs but spent 5 years working at NASA and have outstanding LORs from your emergency medicine rotations, you might be "competitive" despite the USMLE.

Get it? Figure out what your strengths are... or develop some between now and application time. Get a sense of where those strengths might be valued most -- and those are you "least competitive" programs you should apply too.

Regardless of what state:)

Good luck.

bulgethetwine said:
I would say that the following states are also not very competitive:

Arizona
North Carolina
South Carolina
Florida
California

...something about not enough snow to provide enough trauma :)

No really, I think there is virtually no state that you should write off as being "too competitive". In part because the consensus here is always that there is unlikely to be a uniform set of credentials across the nation that designates someone as competitive/not competitive.

If you just barely passed your USMLEs but spent 5 years working at NASA and have outstanding LORs from your emergency medicine rotations, you might be "competitive" despite the USMLE.

Get it? Figure out what your strengths are... or develop some between now and application time. Get a sense of where those strengths might be valued most -- and those are you "least competitive" programs you should apply too.

Good luck.

Agreed. Apply where you want to go but some states are just a little less competetive than others, just like the ones Bulge posted.

NYC has very competitive, medium and not competitive and it is indeed the vast number of programs that makes it such a great place to do residency.

:D

bulgethetwine said:

Good luck.

thanks for your input regarding the states.
as far as LORs go I am working on it (hard to get for an uknown IMG).
I can't even get any relevant ones from home 'cause where I am from they have a different system which splits US model EM duties among anesthesia, surgery, and general IM and that makes me kind of an E.T. around here. (that fact could facilitate the NASA admission :smuggrin: . ....still sort of hard to squeez 5 years of that job between now and October :) )
thanks again though