SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anything from VCU? Anybody?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by KatieBaby848, Feb 27, 2007.

1. KatieBaby848

KatieBaby848 2+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2007
    I'm still waiting on an interview from VCU..I'm getting nervous. Pharmcas mailed my application on Feb. 8th. Anyone heard anything? How many seats do they still have? How long do they normally take to let you know about an interview? Please help?!?!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. MCVPharm

MCVPharm 2+ Year Member

Oct 21, 2006
    VA
    Hey! As far as I know, VCU lets u know if u got an interview or not in about 15 to 20 days after applying. Its rolling admission so I am not sure how many seats are left. But, it would be a good idea to call them and ask for your application status.

4. fathom

fathom New Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2006
    I applied in December and haven't heard anything from them. However, I have called twice and both times they say my application is under review.

5. pharma868

pharma868 New Member 5+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2006
    I applied in December too, and i live in Maryland but it seems like they prefer in state students just because its a public school.

6. IAatheart

IAatheart 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    I applied in November, was contacted for an interview in the beginning of Jan., had an interview at the beginning of Feb. I called admissions last week and they said the committee had not met since my interview, so I still do not know my status. I am in-state, but about half the applicants there were out-of-state.

7. MCVPharm

MCVPharm 2+ Year Member

Oct 21, 2006
    VA
    One thing that sucks about VCU is that the commitee takes a looong time to make their decision. One of my friends had her interview in Dec and she still hasnt heard anything yet. Her application is still under review. Hang in there and good luck!

8. KatieBaby848

Feb 25, 2007
    I got a call this morning from VCU asking me to come for an interview. I go March 10th. Sooo excited! :D Good luck to everyone else..don't give up hope!

9. armywife

armywife 7+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Hey guys - I understand your pain. I feel like :scared:

I applied kind of late (beg of Jan), I got a call mid February for an interview for March 3rd. They told me the wait would be 2-3 weeks. It's been two weeks and it's killing me.

Has anyone gotten in? How long did it take? I had a few friends who applied last year, they got interviews in Oct, and had to wait 11 weeks. I know since it's later in the process, they have to decide sooner. but it's killing me!!!!!!

10. penguins429

penguins429 7+ Year Member

Feb 7, 2006
    I was accepted as an out of state student this year ... and i heard back about a week after my interview -- just lucky i guess ...

11. IAatheart

IAatheart 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    I talked to admissions and they told me they have one more interview session and that we should hear by the middle of April. I believe the committee met right before I interviewed which was the first weekend in Feb. I've been waiting for about six weeks and they still haven't met. We'll just have to wait.

12. eleanor_rigby

eleanor_rigby Member 5+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Are assuming that the committee hasn't met based on the fact that you haven't recieved anything as of yet or did they specifically tell you this when you called?

I thought the meetings were every 2 weeks?

13. IAatheart

IAatheart 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    This is what they told me when I talked to them yesterday. They said the committee hadn't met since before my interview session (Feb. 3). They told me that they usually hold many interviews before meeting.

14. armywife

armywife 7+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Penguins... when did you apply? when did you get an interview?

15. penguins429

penguins429 7+ Year Member

Feb 7, 2006
    i submitted pharmcas application late november, and interviewed in january ...

16. VCU2011

VCU2011 7+ Year Member

Mar 16, 2007
    hey guys. im tryin to keep hope alive here- i dont think the out of state acceptance was as low as 5%. I went for my interview a while ago *did mine early decision* but i thought i remember them saying that they accept something like 25% of their incoming class from out of state. I could be wrong about that but i know it was more than 5%

17. armywife

armywife 7+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I could be wrong... then again, sorry...

18. eleanor_rigby

Mar 23, 2006
    ^
    Were you the girl for NJ? :D

"Seventy-five percent of students attended one of twelve Virginia institutions of higher learning. These include VCU, Virginia Tech, UVA, ODU, JMU, GMU, UVA-Wise, CNU, Norfolk State Emory and Henry, Radford and William and Mary. Eighty-five percent of students are classified as Virginia residents."

I guess the 10% of the students classified as VA residents graduated from a CC or have been classified as such under extenuating circumstances(such as having parents who reside in VA).

http://www.pharmacy.vcu.edu/Pharmd/FAQStudent.html

19. eelo

eelo 2+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2007
    I think you're misinterpeting that statement. There are many, many 4-year schools in VA; the VCU folks are simply saying that 75% of their entrants have gone to one of the 12 schools listed. There are a ton of other schools that may have graduates headed to VCU; some are 4-year institutions and some may be CCs. The 'missing ten percent' may have gone to one of the lesser-known (or private) 4-year schools or to a CC. For the record, the Virginia Community College system is extremely strong. Emory and Henry is the only private school listed above; they must have a specific pre-pharm program that is designed to feed into VCU.

20. pillpshr

pillpshr 2+ Year Member

Feb 13, 2007
    i am still waiting as well. it's my first choice and i interviewed on 02/03. good luck to y'all.

21. eleanor_rigby

Mar 23, 2006
    Those were just two factors that just popped into my head at the moment whilst making my post. The 10% of those who didn't graduate from those specific schools could be classified as VA residents for any number of reasons including the ones you've mentioned. With that being said, that pretty much brings the percentage of out-of-state students to around 15%, but that's 15% of the total student body(130 students). That percentage changes at this stage with the number of interviewees being a bit over 200, so competition is pretty stiff for the out-of-state interviewees. Don't lose hope though since you already made it past the half-way point.

22. eleanor_rigby

Mar 23, 2006
    Those were just two factors that just popped into my head at the moment whilst making my post. The 10% of those who didn't graduate from those specific schools could be classified as VA residents for any number of reasons including the ones you've mentioned. With that being said, that pretty much brings the percentage of out-of-state students to around 15%, but that's 15% of the total student body(130 students). That percentage doesn't apply at this point with the number of interviewees being a bit over 200, so competition is pretty stiff for the out-of-state interviewees. Let's say 50 outstate interview of 200. 15% of 130 = 20. That pretty much brings it down to 10%(20/200). Don't lose hope though since you already made it past the half-way point.

23. KatieBaby848

Feb 25, 2007
    I interviewed on March 10. Still waiting, but I was just wondering if anyone knows how many seats they have already filled?? Thanks!

24. eelo

eelo 2+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks, but I'm not looking to go to VCU. I just live in VA. ;-)

25. armywife

armywife 7+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Eleanor - I'm not the girl from NJ. I sat off to the side, and had a creme suit on. With long black hair. Which one were you?

Alright guys, there's no need to fight. I hope everything is going well. Hey guys - I heard a few things through the grapevine ... VCU has cancelled their interviews for March 31st because they've given too many seats away (I believe) or they didn't get enough scheduled it, either or, it doesn't matter. So March 24th is the last day VCU is doing interviews. The committee is suppose to meet sometime next week to discuss applicants from the last four/five weeks of interviews, so we should hear by mid-April. If not, then most likely they're waiting for the rest of your application (like spring term grades or such). So good luck everyone, and I apologize for the out of state % comment, I'm sure it's higher than 5%. But yes, good luck, and I hope to hear some good news from you all.