Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Anything to do to prepare for residency?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by azzarah, May 2, 2007.

1. azzarah

azzarah sleepy!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Anything you wish you had done or read before starting? I have a cushy internship year ahead of me...I can have fun the whole time, or I can be a total dork and study the whole time, or I can do a little bit of both. :D
    Thanks guys!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rubensan

rubensan Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    definitely do both. cherish the cushness, have fun and read enough so that the terminology is not totally foreign to you when you start ophthalmology residency.

4. PDT4CNV

PDT4CNV Physician/Surgeon
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Forget ophthalmology during your internship, although I recommend an ophtho elective near the end if your internship allows. Learn as much about internal medicine and critical care as you can. You actually will use it.

5. ryangeraets

ryangeraets Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'd echo the comment from PDT4CNV. As an ophthalmologist your patient population will most likely be an elderly one, and one that is often frail. These people often have multiple medical problems that, even though you won't be managing them, you will need to be tuned in to so you will know how their conditions might affect your plan of care.
    Besides, if we complain about internists/pediatricians/general surgeons "dumping" whatever ophthlamic knowledge they should have picked up in med school, then we don't have a leg to stand on if we try to flush or just not learn the basics of general medicine and surgery. Just look at the
    "worst consult ever" thread to see what I mean.
    You will have three years to work as hard as you can to learn as much ophthalmology as you can...but for now just stay in tune with the task at hand.

6. speyeder

speyeder Attending
    10+ Year Member

I echo the above sentiments. There's really no need to study ophtho during internship. However, do try to arrange for an ophtho elective towards the end of the year so that you'll familiarize yourself again with using the slitlamp & indirect. Finally learn as much medicine as possible. It will come in handy down the line. Ophthalmology probably has more overlap with medicine than any other surgical specialty.

7. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  8. V05

V05
    2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you have electives I would recommend:
    1) Rheumatology
    2) Radiology- hang out with neuro-radiologists and read brain and orbit CT and MRI
    3) Ophthalmology (not always available)

If you are able to do an ophthalmology elective, focus on basic skills- refraction, slit lamp, indirect ophthalmoscopy, etc. Use Practical Ophthalmology: A Manual for Beginning Residents by Fred M. Wilson as needed. If cannot do an ophtho rotation, then don't bother reading because it is difficult to learn from just the books without complimentary clinical experience. Knowing basic skills will allow you a smooth transition into residency, but it is not required. Most people will pick up the skills quickly within the first 1-2 months.

9. Mirror Form

Mirror Form Thyroid Storm
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I spent the first couple months of residency berating myself for not taking advantage of my free time during internship to do more ophtho reading. Although everyone told me to enjoy my free time, it turned out my other co-residents had done quite a bit of reading before starting, and it showed. Once residency starts you're going to find yourself in a situation where you really need to read, yet you're also busy as heck.

So if you have some free time, use some of it to read up. You could try reading fundamentals (the first book of the series that most residents read). BUT, it's a real bore. Also, like all of the series books, they can be pretty dense with low yield info. So if you're an intern and don't know what details are not considered important, you can easily get bogged down. So that might just prevent you from doing any useful reading.

I'd pick up Kanski and read a section or two in there (you don't need to go all out). And practical ophthalmolgy is a great book too that you'll be using a lot when residency starts. But like the above poster said, it's tough to learn the information in there w/o being able to practice it in a hands on fashion. So I'm not sure if I'd use it unless I had a ophtho rotation where I could apply the material.