Anything would help? Merci

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrenchyM.D/D.O

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bonjour!! How is everything? I love this website so I decided to create an account.
Wondering what's with the French? lol. I was born and raised in France and have been living in MA for 6 years now (though, I am a US citizen). So, I will be graduating in May 2014 with a BA from a state school. Unfortunately, I attended CC due to financial reasons and obtained an associate's degree in Science (3.4 GPA). My G.P.A should hover 3.3/3.4 (same for science GPA) at graduation from my 4 year college. I have been working full time throughout my whole academic career. I have worked as a surgical technologist for 1.5 years, I have shadowed both M.D's and D.O's. Both are really cool!! I have volunteered at a Nursing home. My MCAT score should be 26-29 range given my diagnostics.
What would my chances be at both allo and osteo? Should I do a post-bac? What can I do to increase my chances?
I am of black complexion if that makes a difference as both my parents are Caribbean (Haiti/Martinique). Oh and I am obviously bilingual as I was born and raised in Paris.
Au revoir et merci.

Members don't see this ad.

Bonjour!! How is everything? I love this website so I decided to create an account.
Wondering what's with the French? lol. I was born and raised in France and have been living in MA for 6 years now (though, I am a US citizen). So, I will be graduating in May 2014 with a BA from a state school. Unfortunately, I attended CC due to financial reasons and obtained an associate's degree in Science (3.4 GPA). My G.P.A should hover 3.3/3.4 (same for science GPA) at graduation from my 4 year college. I have been working full time throughout my whole academic career. I have worked as a surgical technologist for 1.5 years, I have shadowed both M.D's and D.O's. Both are really cool!! I have volunteered at a Nursing home. My MCAT score should be 26-29 range given my diagnostics.
What would my chances be at both allo and osteo? Should I do a post-bac? What can I do to increase my chances?
I am of black complexion if that makes a difference as both my parents are Caribbean (Haiti/Martinique). Oh and I am obviously bilingual as I was born and raised in Paris.
Au revoir et merci.

You have a lot in your favor - clearly you're extremely hardworking, you have a ton of relevant clinical experience, and you're a US citizen. You would also contribute cultural diversity to the student body.

What can you do to increase your chances? Try to boost your MCAT score as much as possible. Do as many questions as possible. That's the main thing.

And on a personal note, there's nothing wrong with CC. If it comes up in an interview, I'd point to whatever financial circumstances caused you to be working full-time as a college student, and to how you worked to avoid debt as much as possible.

Au revoir et merci.
What were your prereq grades? If they were As and Bs your chances are good. CC will not hurt you for schools outside the top 20 for the most part. With your grades and a 27-29 on the MCAT as a black student you have a >80% chance of admission per the AMCAS table, so go MD. Post bac is a waste of time with a 28 or higher on the MCAT for a black applicant.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2012factstable25-2.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on your numbers here, chances for MD schools, poor. Chances for DO schools, fair to excellent, depending upon the school and MCAT.

However, if you count as URM, chances at either are excellent. I do not know if Afro-Caribbean counts the same as African-American to the Admissions dean.

Au revoir et merci.

Based on your numbers here, chances for MD schools, poor. Chances for DO schools, fair to excellent, depending upon the school and MCAT.

However, if you count as URM, chances at either are excellent. I do not know if Afro-Caribbean counts the same as African-American to the Admissions dean.
They do (at least, here!)

Thank you so much for all the replies. Hi Norwood!! ( The snow we are getting upsets me and there is more coming apparently) Hello Mad Jack, My premed prereqs grades were:
English 1: A
English 2: A-
Bio 1/lab : B+/B+
Bio 2/lab: A-/B+
Microbiology:B+
A&P: B+
Chem 1/lab: A/B+
Chem 2/lab: C+/A
Physics 1/lab: B+/C-
Physics 2/lab: B-/C
Orgo 1/lab: C/B+
Orgo 2/ lab: A-/A-
Pre-calc: A
Calc 1: A
Stats: A
I hope that gives you a better idea of what my chances look like now.
I wanted to take biochemistry but money got in the way. Starting January 20th, I will be taking a whole bunch of humanities (5) that are required for graduation with a Bachelor's of Arts.
Goro, how are you? Afro-Caribbeans are viewed the same as African-Americans according to adcoms. FYI: If it was not for the slave trade, both African Americans and Afro Caribbeans would still be in Africa.:)

Last edited:
With a good MCAT, you're good at many schools, MD or DO.

Thank you so much for all the replies. Hi Norwood!! ( The snow we are getting upsets me and there is more coming apparently) Hello Mad Jack, My premed prereqs grades were:
English 1: A
English 2: A-
Bio 1/lab : B+/B+
Bio 2/lab: A-/B+
Microbiology:B+
A&P: B+
Chem 1/lab: A/B+
Chem 2/lab: C+/A
Physics 1/lab: B+/C-
Physics 2/lab: B-/C
Orgo 1/lab: C/B+
Orgo 2/ lab: A-/A-
Pre-calc: A
Calc 1: A
Stats: A
I hope that gives you a better idea of what my chances look like now.
I wanted to take biochemistry but money got in the way. Starting January 20th, I will be taking a whole bunch of humanities (5) that are required for graduation with a Bachelor's of Arts.
Goro, how are you? Afro-Caribbeans are viewed the same as African-Americans according to adcoms. FYI: If it was not for the slave trade, both African Americans and Afro Caribbeans would still be in Africa.:)

Thank you so much for your knowledge Dr.Goro. (just noticed you have a Phd)
Is there anything else I can do to become a more competitive applicant?
And what is a good MCAT to your standards?

Last edited: