Divinito13

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
Please let me know if I can get AOA accreditation of my allopathic Derm residency, so I dont have to repeat my internship in an allopathic program?
How do I do this?

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
You are only required to get AOA approval if you want to practice in OK, PA, MI, FL or WV.

Protocols for AOA approval are here.

There's a published core curriculum for intern years by specialty. This is what you're probably up against in demonstrating to the AOA that your derm program meets AOA requirements.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
And all 3 COMLEX if you want to gain license in CA due to separate osteopathic medical board.

About the Ads

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
And all 3 COMLEX if you want to gain license in CA due to separate osteopathic medical board.
Not just California. Tennessee, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida, Vermont also require COMLEX. Other states may require you to take an OMM exam if you are using USMLE for licensure.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=580001

To the OP - You can try applying for Resolution 42 (approval of ACGME PGY1 year as equivalant to an AOA approved intern year). If approved, you will be eligible for licensed in all 50 states.

If you want to get your entire allopathic dermatology residency AOA approved (so that you are eligible to be board certified by the AOA in dermatology, or you want to be a program director of an AOA dermatology residency program, or you want to be a college dean ) look into Resolution 56 (AOA approval of ACGME residency program)

ceftazidime

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2007
FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
You are only required to get AOA approval if you want to practice in OK, PA, MI, FL or WV.

Protocols for AOA approval are here.

There's a published core curriculum for intern years by specialty. This is what you're probably up against in demonstrating to the AOA that your derm program meets AOA requirements.

I think that the proposed core curriculum above is outdated, because I recently went on an IM residency interview at an ACGME school where the program director told me that the "1 month of surgery" the AOA requires for IM has been waived. This makes sense, as not a single ACGME IM program requires a surgical rotation, so I don't see how anybody would have been approved. I've emailed DO-online about an updated core curriculum list, and haven't heard back. Does anybody know if there's an updated list out there?

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think that the proposed core curriculum above is outdated, because I recently went on an IM residency interview at an ACGME school where the program director told me that the "1 month of surgery" the AOA requires for IM has been waived. This makes sense, as not a single ACGME IM program requires a surgical rotation, so I don't see how anybody would have been approved. I've emailed DO-online about an updated core curriculum list, and haven't heard back. Does anybody know if there's an updated list out there?

Correct - you do not need to do a surgical rotation to get your AOA year approved (I certainly didn't do a surgical rotation).

The wording says "any or all of the basic core curriculum" and general surgery is just one of many options. The hardest part is the 1 month of Emergency Medicine rotation and the 1 month of family medicine rotation (or the 1/2 day/week of outpatient primary care experience). This is for the traditional rotating internship requirement.

You may have better luck with the residency specific internship year requirement.

If your training began after July 1, 2008 - you can decide if you want your residency specific requirement OR if you want to use the traditional rotating internship requirement. If your training began before July 1, 2008 - you must use the traditional rotating internship requirement.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.