AOA CCM Boards Date Change? Maybe? Wtf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engineeredout

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get the less than helpful e-mail saying that the board certification scheduled date for 8/18 might be changed to OCTOBER??

This is located online: Additional AOBIM exam administration options, revised test schedule and postponed recertification exams announced - Main Certification Site

"Candidates now have the option to:

a.) Take the exam remotely in the comfort of your home (remote proctoring).
OR
b.) Take the exam at a Prometric testing center of your choice.

In addition, please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, not all exams will be administered on Aug. 18-20, 2020, or Sept. 1-3, 2020."

" If your seating has been secured one of the Prometric testing centers for the Aug. 18-20 exam, you have the option to change your exam administration type to remote proctor. To do so you must contact Prometric toll-free directly at (800) 481-6525. Please note, should you choose to change your exam administration type. Prometric cannot guarantee the same date and time slot previously secured at the testing center. "

But then here: Important Dates - American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine

Oct. 1-5, 2020
AOBIM Subspecialty Certification and OCC (Recertification) exams
  • Critical Care Medicine Certification
  • Critical Care Medicine Recertification

I called prometric and they said they have not heard of any changes, and confirmed the date on 8/18. I called the AOA - the main person answering said that the ABOIM is not taking phone calls at this time because they have gotten too many phone calls since sending out that e-mail yesterday.

What an absolute dumpster fire, and absolutely to be expected from the AOA.

Members don't see this ad.

I called prometric and they said they have not heard of any changes, and confirmed the date on 8/18. I called the AOA - the main person answering said that the ABOIM is not taking phone calls at this time because they have gotten too many phone calls since sending out that e-mail yesterday.

Good luck, they’ve never been helpfu and I’m surprised anyone answered the phone to even give you that less than helpful answer.

Anyone else get the less than helpful e-mail saying that the board certification scheduled date for 8/18 might be changed to OCTOBER??

This is located online: Additional AOBIM exam administration options, revised test schedule and postponed recertification exams announced - Main Certification Site

"Candidates now have the option to:

a.) Take the exam remotely in the comfort of your home (remote proctoring).
OR
b.) Take the exam at a Prometric testing center of your choice.

In addition, please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, not all exams will be administered on Aug. 18-20, 2020, or Sept. 1-3, 2020."

" If your seating has been secured one of the Prometric testing centers for the Aug. 18-20 exam, you have the option to change your exam administration type to remote proctor. To do so you must contact Prometric toll-free directly at (800) 481-6525. Please note, should you choose to change your exam administration type. Prometric cannot guarantee the same date and time slot previously secured at the testing center. "

But then here: Important Dates - American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine

Oct. 1-5, 2020
AOBIM Subspecialty Certification and OCC (Recertification) exams
  • Critical Care Medicine Certification
  • Critical Care Medicine Recertification

Yep... got the same boat. On one hand I'm at a new site for my company where we're trying to double cover the days since we have 40-50 patients for 2 NPs and 1 attending, so I'm happy to help provide a second doctor... on the other hand I'd love to get this exam over with...

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got this response via email

"Thank you for email regarding our revised testing schedule. You are correct, your new testing date range is October 1-5, 2020. Prometric is currently updating their system to reflect our revised exam schedule, I recommend reaching out to them as early as this Friday, August 7, 2020 to confirm your new testing date and testing option of at home remote proctoring or at a testing."

I got a response confirming that the exam is 10/1 - 10/5, and basically a snippy response that if it doesn't work I can cancel the exam.

" Due to COVID-19, we’ve had to revise the schedule to accommodate our registered examinees "

As if COVID19 has just happened. It's a computer based exam that you are saying can be done as an at home proctored exam, so what exactly regarding this is supposed to be accommodating?

Can everyone affected express their displeasure to them? It may not change anything, but I certainly intend on registering my complaints, and I think all others should as well.

**** them.

Can't you guys take the ABIM exam? With the merger and all I would've thought the AOA boards would become a thing of the past.
My IM program didn't convert to ACGME, however my fellowship did. So I'm eligible for the AOBIM CC board. Since I finished an ACGME fellowship, that makes me eligible for ABIM under the Special Consideration rules with Pathway D. However to take ABIM CC, I have to take ABIM IM first. So my long term plan actually is to take AOBIM CC this year (and get board certification one way or the other out of the way), take ABIM IM next year, and take ABIM CC the year after.

I send them an e-mail stating my disagreements with the mandatory change:

They state they have "Received multiple emails of support in reference to this change".

This is their claim - that people have gone out of their way to tell them how grateful they are for changing the date two weeks in advance. IF any of you are the ones that expressed praise, I'd be genuinely interested to hear the benefits that this has given you.

Oh and by the way, Prometric says the AOBIM still hasn't given them the new scheduling dates. And AOBIM phone number still goes directly to voicemail.

I mean... it helps that I can provide more double coverage to my hospital and make more money while we're packed... but I was also looking forward to getting this over with. To note... I did not express praise.