AOA Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation meets to revise standards.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"This year, the COCA has approached the Standards Revision Process a bit differently from prior years. This was brought about by our recent United State Department of Education (USDE) renewal of recognition as an accrediting agency. In that petition review, it was determined that the COCA standards, policies, and procedures potentially allow for inconsistency in decision making. Thus, a recommendation was put forth that we complete a comprehensive standards revision – moving towards standards with objective measures of compliance."

source: http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...-to-coca-standards-forum-attendees-dec-16.pdf

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What does it mean tho?

From how I interpreted it it means the USDE said "we are concerned with your standards and you need to change them in order for us to continue governing you". If the USDE decides against certifying COCA as an accred agency, then the whole pyramid crumbles (no clue what would happen then).

Was this in light of all that's going on with the expansions and what not? Who knows. But based on the letter it doesn't seem the usde is screwing around because of the time constraints. I certainly hope the adjustments they make are strong and make the entire process a bit harder than simply getting a green light on a feasibility study and opening up "NYIT-COM - Anchorage, AK campus".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
From how I interpreted it it means the USDE said "we are concerned with your standards and you need to change them in order for us to continue governing you". If the USDE decides against certifying COCA as an accred agency, then the whole pyramid crumbles (no clue what would happen then).

Was this in light of all that's going on with the expansions and what not? Who knows. But based on the letter it doesn't seem the usde is screwing around because of the time constraints. I certainly hope the adjustments they make are strong and make the entire process a bit harder than simply getting a green light on a feasibility study and opening up "NYIT-COM - Anchorage, AK campus".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Who knows. I would like to hope that COCA will see some positive revisions from this. But considering the expansions in Pharm school along with the state of Psy.D programs in the psychology world, who knows what changes are really being asked for. But I think there may be a push to at the very least end the recent streak of investor/real estate agents investing in DO schools.

Nah, Donald Trump will set the USDE on the right path. A DO opening will give an investor like Donald Trump at least double digits ROI. Easy money.

Sutton Enterprise, the one COCA chose as their "consultant"......I think even a 5 year old can make a website more legit than this...

http://suttonenterprises.com/services.html

Never the less, I hope the COCA 2.0 will be revised to improve accreditation standards and put a stop to uncheck proliferation happening with branch campuses..

I just looked up Tricia Sutton who is the President of the consulting firm the COCA is using for advice. She has an MBA from the Lake Forest School of Management which is probably not accredited and not even ranked in the top 100-200 business programs in the country. It's laughable, no wonder the COCA can't make any intelligent decisions in regard to DO school expansion since they are paying for advice from intellectual light weights.

Reactions: 1 users
What can we do as students to urge the COCA to make better choices?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users