AOA internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chronotropic

Can someone explain how this works. I know that in certain states it is required but how exactly does it work. For instance does every graduate of OSU or Nova have to do one even if they are not staying in state for residency? Or is it only required for those who wished to be licensed in the state?

Members don't see this ad.

Only required if you want to be licensed in one of 5 states. I think they are Oklahoma, Florida, Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania(?). You can apply for licensure after completing an allopathic residency, and apparently this is not hard. Hope that helps. QuinnNSU has plenty of info on this as he just went through the procedure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard a rumor once that the AOA was considering the idea of dropping the internship. Then I heard another one that stated that more states were going to require it. Anyone know if either or both are true? Or are people just pulling my leg like they usually do?

what are you guys talking about? what is an aoa internship? Is this something required for osteopathic students? I'm not familiar with that terminology! thanks, just trying to keep up with what's going on here!

bump, I'd like some more info too.

Originally posted by Fenrezz
I heard a rumor once that the AOA was considering the idea of dropping the internship. Then I heard another one that stated that more states were going to require it. Anyone know if either or both are true? Or are people just pulling my leg like they usually do?

I dunno...I am not in school yet but I just don't know the true reason for wanting a internship year unless you really don't know what you want to do or you want more general exposure. I am still trying to figure out why you should be REQUIRED to have it in those 5 states. The AOA website really didn't explain that one well to me.

I'm concerned about it cause I wanted to practice in FL once I am out of school no matter where I go.

Originally posted by sistahnik
what are you guys talking about? what is an aoa internship? Is this something required for osteopathic students? I'm not familiar with that terminology! thanks, just trying to keep up with what's going on here!

With the exception of some integrated programs (IM, etc) every AOA residency has an associated rotating internshp. In many cases, it lengthens residency by a year, but it is required for licensure in five states. Many osteopathic students pick allopathic residency and have had licensing problems in the past. The AOA is interested in reclaiming many of its allopathic trained-D.O.'s, so the licensing issue is being revisited.

So just to get this straight....

After med school I can either A) pick an osteopathic residency that's 3 yrs long and be fine, or B) pick an allo residency that's also 3 yrs and then add another 1 yr AOA internship onto it. This applies to those 5 states listed.

Why the 1 extra year? What's different about it? Is it just a regular rotating residency similar to allo ones? I'm confused about this.

am I getting this right? I'm ashamed I don't know this, considering I'm a FL resident and got into NSU! Whoops

C) choose an allopathic residency and challenge the AOA for the transisition year if you want to practice in PA, OK, WV, FL, or MI.