Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

AOA needs more advertising!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by kumar28, Nov 19, 2002.

1. kumar28

kumar28 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm really motivated on becoming a DO however keep hearing all the ignorance that many people have on "osteopathy". I'm really ticked off that the AOA hasn't spent more time and money on advertising the premise of a DO. Why are they doing so little? Anyway's I am in the process of writing to them addressing my concerns. I think everyone on this forum should also do the same. WE NEED MORE EXPOSURE

Is anyone with me here???:p

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. oceandocDO

oceandocDO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Funny. Just a few weeks ago there were people on here complaining about how the AOA has recently increased its advertising efforts, arguing that it sent the wrong message.

The AOA hears you, loud and clear. Two recent ads have been in US Weekly and People magazine. The AOA also had a big spread in USA Today in early October during National Osteopathic Medicine Week.

Here's a link to the ads. Hope they work:
    http://www.aoa.net/images/mtnbikeDO-100.jpg
    http://www.aoa.net/images/skydiverDO-100.jpg

Judge for yourself. I think they're pretty catchy. Supposedly the AOA has hired the "Got Milk" advertising firm to help them out. I dont know if they're behind these ads. The ads run until March 2003 I think.

I think AACOM needs to get on the bandwagon to target and recruit the top students in undergraduate colleges.

4. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I like those ads. They're a good start!:clap:

5. prosDOstud

prosDOstud Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with you all that its unfortunate that many people are ignorant about osteopathy. But I think we have to take on the responsibility as well to let others know about us as students and professionals. I'm going back to my alma mater in a couple of weeks to speak as an alumni about what I will be doing for the rest of my life. Hopefully, I'll be able to reach out to premeds and students who don't know about osteopathy.

6. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

Sorry, Mom, I have to disagree with ya 100%. I think ads like that make osteopathic medicine look cheesy.

When it comes to advertising, there is nothing more golden than word of mouth. You can't buy credibility in magazines and commercials, you have to earn it slowly from people telling their friends how great their osteopathic physician was. Plus, every time I see those ads I can't get the picture of personal injury lawyer commercials out of my head.

If osteopathic medicine offers a good product, it will grow and people will hear about it. It's inevitable. It's done nothing but grow for the last hundred years and will continue to do so well into the future.

7. Castro Viejo

Castro Viejo Papa Clot Buster
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think I understand the point of the ads. Is it just for exposure? Are they meant to convince people who are disenchanted by their "MDs" to go see a DO? If the latter the ads don't offer much in the way of explaining exactly why one should see an osteopathic physician as opposed to one of those regular doctors.

As I've said before in the past, it's entirely my opinion that the AOA is wasting its hard-won money on silly campaigns that do nothing in the way of beefing up the image of osteopathic physicians. As someone's already suggested, I think the best way is by word of mouth. And if you're looking for something quick and that catches the masses quickly, why not offer up a D.O. to write a health column (or broadcast journalism) from that all-unique osteopathic perspective?

But of course these are merely opinions on what I think would work. These are not the opinions of someone educated in the field of marketing. Anyway, back to the grindstone. Got a neurology exam on Friday.

8. oceandocDO

oceandocDO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think the ads are meant for just that, exposure. I've seen ads for the American College of Family Practioners in some health magazines. Are they trying to sway their patients from internists? Who knows. But, name recognition goes a long way. I think the ads catch attention, create interest, and that's what they're supposed to do. Nothing more. There's no subliminal messages against MDs or nothing that states why DOs are better. Do you see something I dont?

They do. A health correspondant for CNN recently was a D.O., a NYCOM grad actually. I think he has recently gone back into private practice. There's an article in this month's Oxford Health Newsletter about the unique and comprehensive care offered by D.O.s. My point is... there is fair amount of "free press" out there, but targeted advertising is needed in any field. I imagine even you will need it someday in your practice.

Getting back to our AOA vs AMA debate of another thread, which I believe I never saw a reply to ;) The AOA actually continually runs a census, which tracks the scope and awareness of the profession (~2000 ballots are out over the country at any one time) and these ads have sparked attention as evidenced by the increased census numbers and website hits. Speaking of silly money, did you know that the AMA funded a $25 million study looking at the feasability of the Performance Exam implementation? The AOA did the same thing for 1/20 the price and will implement the same type of exam, for the same cost to the student, in the same time.

Side-note... I found out today that the AMA has less than 30% of M.D.s as members. Just wondering as to why you think this is? The AOA has over 60% and many claim that it is the D.O.s who are fractionated or unorganized.

Is your role on in this forum to play devils advocate? I realize you're offering your opinion, but do you automatically think that all D.O.s are MD haters or wanna-be's whose sole purpose is to steal you patient population and take over the world of healthcare? Dont be so worried. Most D.O.s are about choice, not dictatorship. Please, I'm not a hell-bent D.O. who is overly defensive or antagonistic. I guess I just dont see your point(s), albeit opinion(s). Good luck on the exam.