AOA REFORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acurarte

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it is time for the American Osteopathic Association AOA to accept any graduate from an accredited college of osteopathic medicine to be a member regardless of internship.

I guess I am bitter that the group that represents the D.O. field does not even allow a large number of D.O.'s be members. I find it backwards and extremely irritating especially when the AMA will accept any D.O. as a member. Anyone feel the same or am I drowning in my own bucket of bitterness alone?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's really a shame to exclude membership for those DO grads because of internship. As is, there's already a lot less DOs than MDs. I think AOA should adapt a policy of inclusion instead of exclusion. I would suggest that AOA extends membership to ALL DO grads and be really united to promote osteopathy. However, in order to maintain active membership, they MUST collect x number of AOA approved CME credits.

The AOA has a lot of problems to solve, not the least of which is the fact that they require osteopathic students to do an osteopathic internship when they don't even have enough internship spots for all of the students they graduate. 6 states still require D.O.'s to do an osteopathic accredited internship which is absolutely ridiculous. With the advent of tracking programs and linking programs there is almost no difference between a PGY1 year and an osteopathic internship year. Furthermore, how can The AOA allow new schools to open in Utah and Virgina when they still haven't created enough rotations in hospitals for the students at Arizona, Pikesville, and touro. Let alone any new resident spots. Good thing we have the M.D. world to fall back on, because the D.O. world is not self sufficient. Don't get me wrong I believe D.O.'s are amazing clinical physicians, but the whole academic/residency setting needs to be overhauled and quickly. First thing they need to do is accept more MD programs as dually accredited programs and accept the PGY1 year as an osteopathic internship so that we can regain all of the DO's we lost to the MD world.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi acurarte, (remember me?)

You can still be a full member of the A.O.A even if you are doing an alllopathic residency. What is denied to those of us doing allopathic residencies (myself included) is sitting for the osteopathic certification exams. For example, because my EM residency is 3 years, and I have very little elective time, I can not tailor my program to fit what the A.O.A requires in their definition of a "rotating" internship.

What is necessary, is for people like ourselves to become involved in the A.O.A (oops, I can almost hear the grunts and groans) and become leaders. Those who are there now, won't be forever, and that's where a young, straight-forward, smooth-talking surgeon like yourself fits in! If nobody is willing to change things, the status quo will remain.

Good luck in your awesome residency! One day I hope to see your picture in "the D.O." (as AOA president, of course) so I can say, I went to school with that guy!

PS Have you moved yet? ted :cool: :cool: :cool:

I can't agree with you guy more....I was so happy when I matched in an allopathic surgery program....then reality set in and I remembered the restrictions placed on those of us who do no do a rotating internship.....I am trying to get my PGY-1 year to count as an internship, but things look bleak.....Am I the only one who feels like he is geting punished?
Anyway, it is time for the AOA to open its eyes and look towards the future of osteopathy instead of always looking at the past.....
GOod Luck guys :clap:

So ted, where did you match in EM? I matched EM at Wright State.

Hey Happy Clown guy!

Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn. Congrats on your match! :clap: :cool: :clap:

if you do a MD residency and then move to one of the "five states" can you go back and do the internship later?

In order to obtain licensure in those states, you must have the internship, so I take it when you move there you will have to do the internship (sooner rather than later).

Now, there have been many posts in the past stating there were loopholes to get around this but I have to say, since I wasn't planning to practice in any of those states, I really didn't pay close attention. Perhaps someone will be kind enough to post that info.

I guess that enough of us have to build up enough frustration that will drive action to change the system. Out with the old and in with the new. I am more the type to do what is best for my future patients than to follow the restrictions placed by the "old boys club." Perhaps I will be restricted from practicing in those six states. Oh well!