AOA required for top 20 programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nychila

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is AOA pretty much required (although it's possible to match without it, at least 80-90% of successful matches were AOA) for most of the top 20 general surgery programs, eg. Duke, UCLA, Beth Israel Deaconess, NYU?

Members don't see this ad.

All DO medical students are automatically members of the AOA anyway, no?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All DO medical students are automatically members of the AOA anyway, no?
There are 2 AOAs. One is for American osteopathic association (for DOs). The other is alpha omega alpha, a medical school honor society. The OP is referencing the latter.

There are 2 AOAs. One is for American osteopathic association (for DOs). The other is alpha omega alpha, a medical school honor society. The OP is referencing the latter.
Face palm.

Reactions: 2 users
Is AOA pretty much required (although it's possible to match without it, at least 80-90% of successful matches were AOA) for most of the top 20 general surgery programs, eg. Duke, UCLA, Beth Israel Deaconess, NYU?

It's not required anywhere. "Top 20" is a moving target, as well. If you are interested in a prestigious academic program, I would work hard for AOA, but I would focus equally on other areas as well: Step 1 and 2 scores, strong LORs from famous surgeons, and research. It's often hard to complete meaningful research during medical school, so it's important to start early, and go with a surgeon whose known for cranking out pubs.

I feel obliged to mention that "top" programs don't necessarily offer the best training, and most students should fight the urge to focus on prestige, as it's only important to a very small, select group of surgeons and hospitals. I would aim for programs that offer strong operative experience, a robust surgical curriculum, high board pass rates, and a history of placing residents into positions that you want to be in when you're done.

.....now for some fun.....does anybody remember this wonderful thread?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/top-10-general-surgery-residencies-rankings.31734/page-2

It contains my classic opinion that "All 7 of those (programs) re considered top 5."

Reactions: 1 user
It's not required anywhere. "Top 20" is a moving target, as well. If you are interested in a prestigious academic program, I would work hard for AOA, but I would focus equally on other areas as well: Step 1 and 2 scores, strong LORs from famous surgeons, and research. It's often hard to complete meaningful research during medical school, so it's important to start early, and go with a surgeon whose known for cranking out pubs.

I feel obliged to mention that "top" programs don't necessarily offer the best training, and most students should fight the urge to focus on prestige, as it's only important to a very small, select group of surgeons and hospitals. I would aim for programs that offer strong operative experience, a robust surgical curriculum, high board pass rates, and a history of placing residents into positions that you want to be in when you're done.

.....now for some fun.....does anybody remember this wonderful thread?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/top-10-general-surgery-residencies-rankings.31734/page-2

It contains my classic opinion that "All 7 of those (programs) re considered top 5."
i agree... so much so i went to the thread, read 30 posts of nonsense, to find it to "like" it

No