AOA residency and AMA fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diesel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a graduate of an osteopathic residency in say internal medicine pursue an allopathic fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Even though it may be possible, most osteopathic IM residencies are not regarded as prestigious as allopathic university IM residencies where more research is oftentimes being done and there is a sometimes wider range of pathology. I suspect that you would have a very difficult time getting a cards or GI allopathic fellowship coming from an AOA residency, but you may be able to get something like ID, endocrine, or rheum. Connections mean a lot when it comes time to get fellowships, so if you have someone who is well known in the allopathic research world pushing for your application, you will have an easier time then if you have an osteopathic attending at a community hospital.

I do not believe you can become board-certified in a subspecialty if you do an AOA residency and an ACGME fellowship. That is the way it has been explained to me. They may let you do one, but it will just be extra training, and will not entitle you to ACGME certification.

In other words: if you start AOA, finsih AOA and vice versa.

Interesting....

After checking out your link, The AOA trained Orthopods seem to be only ortho boarded (which ortho board AOA or ACGME?).

The only recong subspecialities in ortho with board certification are Hand and Sport Med. (hence, no spine)

Here is a list of the recong Boards and subspeciality boards

http://www.abms.org/approved.asp