AOA Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cm7b5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one get elected to AOA? Is it important to getting tough residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

It is very important for the top residencies and you generally need to be in the top 15% of the class to get AOA but depending on the school they may take into account other things such as extracurricular activities.

Hey Eric,
I think at Upstate, the top 20% are eligible to apply for AOA. But I also think they take letters of rec, evaluations, and extracurriculars into account. I'm not getting my hopes high :wink: .

Anyways check this link out <a href="http://inside.binghamton.edu/May-June/9may02/research.html" target="_blank">http://inside.binghamton.edu/May-June/9may02/research.html</a> I stumbled upon it while looking for references for summer work study. Who'd have ever thought... :wink: ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do Osteopathic Medical schools have something similar to AOA - and no, I'm not talking about T THE HE AOA the association... :) ?

hehe

care

I've heard that AOA is a definite help in getting top residency positions in competitive specialties. However, some schools don't have it (HMS being one of them). The specific criteria for election are set by the school; however, here's what the national AOA says:

Election shall be limited to those candidates whose scholastic qualifications place them in the upper twenty-five percent of their class. The total number elected, however, shall not exceed one-sixth of the total number in that class expected to graduate. Not more than one-quarter of the quota (25 percent) may be elected prior to the final year of the medical course.

Each chapter has the responsibility of defining its own method of election, including determination of those eligible to vote. Notification of election to membership is made to students in the Fall.

Scholastic achievement should be the primary but not the exclusive basis for election of a student. In addition to the academic record, personal characteristics may be considered to the extent defined by the chapter: leadership, fairness in dealing with colleagues, compassion, integrity, and service to the school and community at large may be considered. Each chapter should define its own weighting system for such criteria as grades, faculty, and other comments, and personal attributes and attainments.

Basically it works that you have to be in the top 25% of your class to even be considered for AOA. A bunch of AOA students and faculty then review each applicant who meets this criteria and select about 2/3 of the eligable group for AOA. Usually never goes above 16% of the total graduating class.

What exactly is AOA?

Alpha Omega Alpha (Med school honor society).

Wow, with fellow AOA's voting, sounds like a popularity contest LOL. I thought only faculty had a say re: the brightest students of a class.

A.O.A. is basically a resume filler. It serves a purpose in getting you into a better residency program and furnishing you with a nice diploma for your wall so that patients may ask what A.O.A. is.

The organization doesn't really do anything for you.

Actually, AOA is a very prestigious organization that the top 15% of med students nationwide have the opportunity to belong to. Students at most schools are chosen by faculty/administration...it means a lot more than something to "improve your resume" etc...you really don't need AOA to get an awesome residency, it's just a great honor to those who receive it...symbolizes 4 years of hard work....

•••quote:•••Originally posted by A little elf:
•Actually, AOA is a very prestigious organization that the top 15% of med students nationwide have the opportunity to belong to.

•••••Right...that's why I was elected...one of the reasons why I got an excellent residency.

Read about the charter. Read about what it does for you and what your dues actually provide.

You'll see that it's nothing more than something nice to put on your resume.

I want to know what your AOA chapter policy is on induction of new student members. Does your school induct at the end of third year? The beginning of fourth year or after graduation? Also, have you heard any stories from fourth year students about how having AOA membership affected their residency interviews? Please let me know what school you are affiliated with. Thanks.

AOA is very important in the residency selection process. With the use of the ERAS now, there is no extra distinction of a junior induction since both 3rd and 4th year students will have been inducted by the time ERAS is submitted. In the past, junior induction was a big deal because you could include it on the paper residency apps and still make the deadline.

Originally posted by guardian
Anyways check this link out <a href="http://inside.binghamton.edu/May-June/9may02/research.html" target="_blank">http://inside.binghamton.edu/May-June/9may02/research.html</a> I stumbled upon it while looking for references for summer work study. Who'd have ever thought... :wink: ?

Um... okay ... maybe it's b/c I didn't read the individual profiles, but what does that link have to do with the topic or was it random?

AOA is somewhat important. There was a survey a few years ago of residency directors across different specialties, and for the "competitive" specialties AOA ranked fourth in importance among the various criteria. (1-grades, 2-number of honors, 3-class rank)

For more information, please refer to this thread: http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40872 .

Cheers
-a.

You can also be inducted as a resident (albeit happens infrequently). At UC Davis, the chapter members there nominated and inducted on of the PM&R residents.